Sign in to follow this  
Guest aca_dia

Roll Rate Question for Pilots / Carenado 210 Issue

Guest product

I have a question about roll in turns. I fly the Carenado 210 a great deal, and have noticed that once you're in a turn and applying rudder to center the ball, the plane seems to want to keep increasing the angle of its roll. In order to maintain a constant turn rate, you have to counteract with "opposite lock" on the yoke, so to speak. I haven't noticed this tendency, or at least to this degree, with other planes. Is that normal? In other words, if you're in a 20 degree bank turn, should you have to give aileron in the direction opposite to the bank to maintain that angle?Best,Joel

>in a 20 degree bank turn, should you have to give aileron in>the direction opposite to the bank to maintain that angle?Nope, you should be able to neutralize ailerons and provided your other factors like throttle, etc are well positioned you should be able to stay in the constant bank and turn and maintain altitude. Your rudder should be practically neutral too.Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest product

Hmmm, seems there may be something odd about the way this plane handles then. Anyone else fly the Carenado 210 and notice this tendencey to keep rolling into turns?Joel

Guest aca_dia

I have no idea how these aircraft model real world flight dynamics, but in the real world it is quite possible to need opposite aileron to keep an aircraft from over banking in a turn (usually a steeper turn above 20 degrees in light GA aircraft).This is called (surprise) Over Banking Tendency. ie: during a turn the outside wing is traveling faster than the inside wing and producing more lift (and more drag which leads to adverse yaw) and depending on the aircraft at some point will want to keep banking steeper and steeper even with neutral ailerons. So opposite aileron is needed to keep the aircraft from over banking.However at a 20-degree bank I would not expect a discernible over banking effect especially at slow speeds. Though I did test it out in a PA32R-301 today and at higher speeds this particular aircraft wanted to keep banking even in a 20 degree turn, but it was fairly slight.