Aloha from Maui,It's been about a month of pulling my hair out trying to fix various graphics problems with my system. I just want to thank everyone for all of the help with getting FSX "flying".I ran into one problem after another with my system that uses ATI 5770 graphics cards in a crossfire setup. I found with help from this forum that ATI Crossfire was doing nothing for FSX or FS9. I pulled one card and everything was the same. No FPS change and no improvement to either flight simulator version. The problems: Huge Frame Rate hits near clouds and complex scenery like trees. With some of the fixes suggested there was a moderate graphics improvement and I was ready to just put up with a less than "perfect" FSX and FS9 system. I then found another problem that I could not fix. Running FSX I noticed the scenery was blurry beginning at around 7 miles from the aircraft. The textures looked terrible with normal and photo scenery. I tried every recommended fix and nothing worked. I then checked FS9 and it had exactly the same "blurries". I then was sure it was most likely the graphics card.I replaced the 5770's with the EVGA GTX-480 and every problem went away. I used Nicks settings and the scenery is sharp with no blurries at all. I flew into heavy clouds and there was no hit at all! I now can practice landing in very bad weather with no stutters. The tree problem went away and 3D cockpits work perfectly with no stuttering. Now both FSX and FS9 run in a way that I thought was impossible in the past. The GTX 480 is truly amazing and despite complaints of its high power consumption it is not running hot in this system. I've measured peak power consumption and it is only slightly higher than 5770's.I am running no overclocking on the CPU or GPU at this time but will work on that in the future.MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5CPU:Intel i7-930@2.8GHzRAM:12GB SuperTalent Triple -Channel-Channel DDR-1800 6GB(3X2GB)Cooling: Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler (RR-UV8-XBU1-GP)Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 Mid Tower ATXGPU:EVGA GTX-480PSU:ULTRA X4 Series 1050W ModularHDD1: Western Digital 1TB@7200r.p.m.HDD2: Western Digital 1TB@7200r.p.m.OS:W7 Ultimate 64 I TRIED TO USE A PROFANITY HERE - AREN'T I STUPID!ip

Aloha from Maui,It's been about a month of pulling my hair out trying to fix various graphics problems with my system. I just want to thank everyone for all of the help with getting FSX "flying".I ran into one problem after another with my system that uses ATI 5770 graphics cards in a crossfire setup. I found with help from this forum that ATI Crossfire was doing nothing for FSX or FS9. I pulled one card and everything was the same. No FPS change and no improvement to either flight simulator version. The problems: Huge Frame Rate hits near clouds and complex scenery like trees. With some of the fixes suggested there was a moderate graphics improvement and I was ready to just put up with a less than "perfect" FSX and FS9 system. I then found another problem that I could not fix. Running FSX I noticed the scenery was blurry beginning at around 7 miles from the aircraft. The textures looked terrible with normal and photo scenery. I tried every recommended fix and nothing worked. I then checked FS9 and it had exactly the same "blurries". I then was sure it was most likely the graphics card.I replaced the 5770's with the EVGA GTX-480 and every problem went away. I used Nicks settings and the scenery is sharp with no blurries at all. I flew into heavy clouds and there was no hit at all! I now can practice landing in very bad weather with no stutters. The tree problem went away and 3D cockpits work perfectly with no stuttering. Now both FSX and FS9 run in a way that I thought was impossible in the past. The GTX 480 is truly amazing and despite complaints of its high power consumption it is not running hot in this system. I've measured peak power consumption and it is only slightly higher than 5770's.I am running no overclocking on the CPU or GPU at this time but will work on that in the future.MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5CPU:Intel i7-930@2.8GHzRAM:12GB SuperTalent Triple -Channel-Channel DDR-1800 6GB(3X2GB)Cooling: Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler (RR-UV8-XBU1-GP)Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 Mid Tower ATXGPU:EVGA GTX-480PSU:ULTRA X4 Series 1050W ModularHDD1: Western Digital 1TB@7200r.p.m.HDD2: Western Digital 1TB@7200r.p.m.OS:W7 Ultimate 64 I TRIED TO USE A PROFANITY HERE - AREN'T I STUPID!ip
That is great news Chip! I know that many of us have had nothing but great satisfaction with the Nvidia 400 series cards. They are getting better all the time too as the drivers continue to get better with each release. My 480 GTX does not run hot in FSX either, especially with the new high airflow bracket from EVGA. Stephen

Guest wiliamsmith10

Wow nice information.thats great news that nvidia the new card driver 480 driver, because many nvidia use waiting for this. i like nvidia because its always think about the end user.

I had the same thing going with my 5770, talk about the blurs: no anisotropic filtering. The latest drivers sorted that out.

Just thought I would jump in and asked a few questions: First I am running the GTX480X with the I7980X Windows7 Professional 64bit and 12GB of memory in a Full tower with 6 fans...The MOBO is mounted in a vertical position as the video card...The mobo is a Asus P6X58D Premium..The machine runs very cool, yes the Video card puts out a little warm air...I am running FSX flying either the PMDG 747-400 or the MD-11....I have FSX running wide open with FPS set at 35 and most of the time it stays between 33 to 35...I have my Affinity Mask=255 so all 6 cores of the I7 are running...I am using REX2, FsCommander all on the same machine with two monitors connected...The only problem so far is that their is some bouncing around ( for the lack of a better term) of runway stripes and certain sections of the runway...I don't know if that is due to REX2 settings or FSX settings...Maybe somebody can help me on this one..I am NOT a computer geek...Also, I wish that I could find a solution to "spanning" these 2 monitors, but from what I have read so far Windows7 Professional 64bit will not allow that any more due to changes in their coding (technically whatever that is called) I believe you could do that with windows XP, don't remember about Vista (which I hated.)All in all, so far I am very pleased about the running of my flight simulator, it's like flying in the real world with the addition of REX2....Yesterday, I was flying down around New Orleans in the thunderstorms, and it couldn't be more "real."Bob Adams

Bob Adams

Just thought I would jump in and asked a few questions: First I am running the GTX480X with the I7980X Windows7 Professional 64bit and 12GB of memory in a Full tower with 6 fans...The MOBO is mounted in a vertical position as the video card...The mobo is a Asus P6X58D Premium..The machine runs very cool, yes the Video card puts out a little warm air...I am running FSX flying either the PMDG 747-400 or the MD-11....I have FSX running wide open with FPS set at 35 and most of the time it stays between 33 to 35...I have my Affinity Mask=255 so all 6 cores of the I7 are running...I am using REX2, FsCommander all on the same machine with two monitors connected...The only problem so far is that their is some bouncing around ( for the lack of a better term) of runway stripes and certain sections of the runway...I don't know if that is due to REX2 settings or FSX settings...Maybe somebody can help me on this one..I am NOT a computer geek...Also, I wish that I could find a solution to "spanning" these 2 monitors, but from what I have read so far Windows7 Professional 64bit will not allow that any more due to changes in their coding (technically whatever that is called) I believe you could do that with windows XP, don't remember about Vista (which I hated.)All in all, so far I am very pleased about the running of my flight simulator, it's like flying in the real world with the addition of REX2....Yesterday, I was flying down around New Orleans in the thunderstorms, and it couldn't be more "real."Bob Adams
Hi Bob,Nice machine! I'm jealous! A couple of quick questions: Are you running DX9 or DX10 preview in FSX? What is your CPU clockspeed?Stephen :(

Hi Bob - Nice to see someone enjoying FSX, good for you. In order to fix the "texture jumping" you may have to pull your Texture resolution back from 7cm. Water effects also play a role especially if you are using REx with HD 4096 x 4096 textures.I have experimented with so many different settings in nHancer and FSX.cfg with changes/mods that I have found to work and with recent developments with the addition of bojote's .cfg tweaks and shader mod FSX is becoming closer to what I have expected it to do since I first installed it early in '09.I want to emphasize that if you are happy with how FSX is performing and you have not made many changes then run with what you have with your great system.I am looking forward to next year when I upgrade my system/OS where we will have a slew of new aircraft and the mods/tweaks have been rigorously tested.Best regards,

\Robert Hamlich/

Hi Bob,Nice machine! I'm jealous! A couple of quick questions: Are you running DX9 or DX10 preview in FSX? What is your CPU clockspeed?Stephen :(
I7980X 3.3 not overclockingYes DX10 preview...How do you take screen shots and print them on this forum? That would help in my settings explanation....I just need to know what proper settings would work with this computer setup...Yes, I was lucky to get this machine...Thanks,

Bob Adams

I7980X 3.3 not overclockingYes DX10 preview...How do you take screen shots and print them on this forum? That would help in my settings explanation....I just need to know what proper settings would work with this computer setup...Yes, I was lucky to get this machine...Thanks,

Hi Bob - Find a key called "Prt SCr" which should be located beside the Scroll Lock key. Open MS Paint and paste (Ctrl-v) your shot then save as a .jpeg and upload your saved file by selecting Choose File using the Attachment Editor below the reply/post window here at the forum.

\Robert Hamlich/

I solved the problem I had with runway markers and sections of the runway ....I turned off or unclicked the DX10 preview...All the settings of FSX are running full sliders to the right...No problems so far the I7980X and GTX480X with 12G of memory is running....The processor is running about 15 percent...that's measured by the Task Master window open using performance mode...What program do you recommend to monitor how the cpu and memory is functioning in the background...

Bob Adams

I solved the problem I had with runway markers and sections of the runway ....I turned off or unclicked the DX10 preview...All the settings of FSX are running full sliders to the right...No problems so far the I7980X and GTX480X with 12G of memory is running....The processor is running about 15 percent...that's measured by the Task Master window open using performance mode...What program do you recommend to monitor how the cpu and memory is functioning in the background...
Bob,DX10 Preview has lots of problems because it is not a full implementation, one of which is the flashing problem you mentioned. You will find that most people with upper equipment use DX9 only. In order to get top performance out of your 980X you should clock it well over 4ghz, which you can safely do. Good luck. Nice machine!Stephen