Sign in to follow this  
Guest digtek

FS2004/FS9 - My 2 cents

Guest wathomas777

"AI TrafficI am an idiot when it comes to making flight plans, sure would be nice to have a application that could check out all your aircraft and work them in as AI without spending a entire day making everything compatable (not that I can't paste in the aircraft I have, I do understand how that works). Also a application that would let you put in the ID for airports and would create working plans for you that you could paste on to the stock file and compile...I assume the 2002 plans will work in 2004 but perhaps I just see the majority of them as either not applying to me or WAY TOO BIG, I would like to see some US based (especially the SE US) AI FPs released that use airports besides KATL - like any of you care "Have you checked out Ultimate Traffic? It is the best add-on I have paid for. If your time is worth money, then the $29.95 asking price is a bargain.It contains OVER 800 Liveries, each one geographically matched to the airports they fly out of. Over 400,000 flight plans included.I spent around 10 minutes to install it into FS2004, and right now I have full AI traffic in KPDX, KHSV, KSEA, PHNL, and of course KATL.The only thing missing right now is FS2004 compatible AFCAD files, so parking is a bit screwy in FS2004. At ATL I saw two or three instances with two planes "parking" in the same space.Overall I think you will enjoy UT if you enjoy AI traffic. Look at the review here in AVSIM. They give it 5 stars out of 5 stars.

Guest digtek

Sounds like the people who I am directing this post at fall into 2 categories...1) Those who read it and take it for what it is, perhaps doing exactly as I said and re-thinking the hasty posting of files that may not be 'as good as they could be' - or they already know they have done as best they could and whether the file meets my personal standards or not they are satisfied with it and take my opinions, or call them suggestions if you want, for what they are...2) Those who know they have posted sub-par files and are now offended because I have labelled them as such by saying I would personally not keep them and suspect others who may be keeping silent so they do not get attacked like this feel the same way...Fact is I also have spent a lot of time creating freeware add-ons (had you read all the posts you would know this) and in many cases I decided that the final product, while useable, is sub-standard and as such decided that no matter how much time I spent learning and creating the project it was below my own expectations and not worthy of posting. Even if I felt it was I would not expect you to think a static aircraft with blurry textures and unstable flight characteristics is of the quality one would like to see.

Guest Ashleigh Davidson

Well said.After reading his post and wanting to throw up. I guess it really is time to move on if this is the drivvle level this so called hobby / community has become. I would suggest he writes to Mike Stone and post Mike's polite reply.I assume also, this outrage is intended at Commercial vendors, not the freeware authors ?AD

Guest digtek

You people would EXPLODE if I was the one who got final say on files posted here - that is fairly obvious. Just imagine the reaction if I got to add to file descriptions things like "and it has dark, blurry textures" or "hope you know how to edit the cfg file because this plane has some awfull flight characteristics".I will follow this post for another day or so but am sorry I even made it now and will not be posting my selfish, tactless opinons again...

Guest digtek

Thank You very much for posting, I have not checked it out yet but it does sound like what I am looking for and while I don't mind spending endless hours tinkering with stuff as I enjoy that nearly as much as the flights themselves I do need a application like the one you mention to get my AI working like I want.Only question would be: does the program allow you to use your existing aircraft in those flights or are you only able to select from a list of aircraft they supply?Or at least can you edit the files it makes to substitute your aircraft for the ones it would normally use?

Guest hotrod56

Hey Digtek, I'm new around here, picked up FS2002 at a boot sale for

"Those who know they have posted sub-par files and are now offended because I have labelled them as such by saying I would personally not keep them and suspect others who may be keeping silent so they do not get attacked like this feel the same way..."I had decided to stay out of the fracas after our discussion yesterday, but seeing this comment, all I can say is you are way out of line mister.... Since when is your "sub-par" label the litmus test by which we all must pass? I already told you my reasons for uploading my work as is. And I'll continue to do so, until someone decides to pay me for work that meets your standards. If my work meets one person's standards on this forum, that's the opinion that counts--not yours.Now show a little class, and dump your opinions elsewhere. Simply put, you are not welcome here if you download freebies and then decided to pick on authors or a community of authors in the forums when they don't meet your standards. That has nothing to do with expressing an opinion...had you left the discussion where it stood yesterday, I would have given you a little ground. But you seem intent on classifying people as if your standards are the only ones that matter here. Don't think that those telling me to "lighten up" represent the majority in the forums here. Most haven't responded hoping you'd go away--we've all too often people plunge into these forums before with this baloney. And still, I haven't seen you respond to my first suggestion--now that you have a litany of what's wrong, why don't you post what's right?Regardless of your response, I don't give a hoot about making you work to find the files you like. Truth is, I never heard of you or your work until you barged into the forums, introducing yourself with this attitude. You even seem to go as far to suggest that if you were running the library here, you'd get to pick what stays and what doesn't. God forbid you're a parent. What do you do when your child proudly shows you a bunch of scribblings? Do you say--sorry "sub par", come back when you're Picasso?#@##$$@@!!!!!!

Guest wathomas777

It seems that you can substitute the provided Project AI aircraft with AI Ardvaark craft which supposedly are much better looking. And the updater allows you to go to their website and download additional aircraft that others have posted.So yes, you can add to it, What's nice is that there is plenty of variety out of the box. I'm gonna fire it up tonight and do some flying around Ireland. Go Wingtip to Wingtip with some Aer Lingus.

Guest digtek

Hey, this is going noplace - you are free to disagree with me and I do agree that you have a very valid point that your posts are making.On the other hand let assume that the aircraft that are provided with the program set the standard and not me.........

Guest digtek

No, the purple panels are not based on any actual aircraft and are simply a series of panels I made that all have the same basic layout of gauges/instruments but a panel is supplied for each type of aircraft (2 jets, single piston ect - 7 panels total). The goal of the project was to create a single window panel that has all the needed controls to fly and with only the modifications needed to change from one engine type to another would be the same for every plane. Easy enough to find, just search "purple" in FS2002 panels here. It will likely be a while until I update it for use with 2004 (though I have patched mine to work for now), since I await the 2004 version of FS Panel Studio and will take my time making sure they are ready before I post them.

Guest digtek

Thanks, I think I will get it - but after a visit to the site they are planning a 2004 upgrade so I will wait for it to be released.

Guest digtek

OK, here is a top notch add-on for FS2002/2004...Project Globe Twotter DHC6-300filename = d6skybus.zipFS2002 Original AircraftFor 2004 use:Project Globe Twotter Skybus Updatefilename = fs9skyup.zipFS2004 Original AircraftYou do need to get the 2002 version and then apply the update for use with FS9/2004 but this is a EXCEPTIONAL AIRCRAFT.Designed by: Udo Lemmob, Barry Blaisdell, Samy Fay & Bob MayReleased as: FREEWAREThe package includes the aircraft with a exceptional panel and even a sound package. It is a full GMAX animated aircraft right down to opening pilot/cabin and passengers doors, dynamic shine and suspension. The panel is fully workable and I assume very realistic, it has pop-out windows for most of the gauges in case you are using a smaller monitor I guess. There are a few other liveries on the site for this aircraft as well. I am no RW pilot but the plane is a joy to fly in FS9 and the textures are clean and clear. This one is a must for any simmer who flies this type of aircraft and of payware quality.

Now we're talking--....I haven't tried the Project Globe Twin Otter... I have enjoyed the one by Eric Dantes and Mauricio Illanes....I'll have to give the Project Globe Otter a try as well. I had quite a surprise the other day when I saw one turning base for Scottsdale airport--it's not an aircraft I see much in the desert.I don't see a lot of freeware that's the entire package. Usually, the "2 out of 3" law seems to apply. I think that's because so many projects are solo or two person efforts--it's hard to find a good modeller, gauge programmer, panel designer, and FDE expert all rolled into one. Many projects end up evolving over time. Someone saw my recent update to Chuck's Mirage, and has designed a new panel around it. Another person saw me post some Microlight shots, and contributed a piece.Does the PG Twin Otter have a V/C?

>You will find several files by me, a few are help type text>files and then the Purple Panel Series is mine - Oh, well that explains a lot, then.I was too polite to express my opinion then, and will refrain from doing so now.The expression about "those who live in glass houses" should ring a chord though.(or should that be "the pot calling the kettle black?"BillFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg