Sign in to follow this  

MAJOR PROBLEM. Please help.

I got that MSBLAST worm virus this morning and after talking to Microsoft, I was able to get rid of it. I had to re-install TCP/IPand my NIC drivers but everything is working great. EXCEPT FS9.I can't get it to load. When I double click the icon, it starts to laod and then hangs up.I tried a full re-install but the same thing happens. I tried putting in the No-CD crack but the same thing happens. I do not have a firewall up. All my drivers are up to date and I am using the OMEGA 4.4.0.3 drivers for my GeForce Ti-4800 card. Sound drivers are up to date. Everything worked yesterday.Can someone PLEASE help me figure this out.Thank you TurnipAsus P4S533-E MBP-4 2.4 Ghz512 DDR RAMGeForce 4 Ti-4800 w/128 megs RAMS/B Audigy Platinum

Does it get to the splash screen? At what point does it hang up? If it's making it a ways into the sim--either to the splash screen or beyond, 'bout the only thing I can suggest is reinstalling DirectX 9.x and hoping for the best. It's possible something got zapped during the TCP/IP & NIC update. Other chance is the NIC's now grabbed a resource in conflict with FS2004....-John

Guest tgabriel

It's very strange that MS would have you doing something about tcp/ip for this worm. Did they have you get the rpc patch? We are gave our one user who got the worm the following instructions:The following is the MSBLAST Worm removal instructions using the FIXBLAST tool from Symantec antivirus company:Obtaining and running the FIXBLAST toolNOTE: You need administrative rights to run this tool on Windows 2000, or Windows XP. Download the FixBlast.exe file from: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exeSave the file to a convenient location, such as your downloads folder or the Windows Desktop (or removable media that is known to be uninfected, if possible).Close all the running programs before running the tool. If you are running Windows XP, then disable System Restore.CAUTION: If you are running Windows XP, we strongly recommend that you do not skip this step. The removal procedure may be unsuccessful if Windows XP System Restore is not disabled, because Windows prevents outside programs from modifying System Restore. Double-click the FixBlast.exe file to start the removal tool. Click Start to begin the process, and then allow the tool to run.NOTE: If, when running the tool, you see a message that the tool was not able to remove one or more files, run the tool in Safe mode. Shut down the computer, turn off the power, and wait 30 seconds. Restart the computer in Safe mode and run the tool again. All the Windows 32-bit operating systems, except Windows NT, can be restarted in Safe mode. For instructions, read the document "How to start the computer in Safe Mode ."Restart the computer. Run the removal tool again to ensure that the system is clean. If you are running Windows XP, then re-enable System Restore. MSBLAST WORM REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS Terminating the Worm Program This procedure terminates the running malware process from memory. Open Windows Task Manager pressCTRL+SHIFT+ESC, and click the Processes tab. In the list of running programs*, locate the process:MSBLAST.EXE Select the worm process, then press either the the End Process button. To check if the malware process has been terminated, close Task Manager, and then open it again. Close Task Manager. Removing Autostart Entries from the Registry Removing autostart entries from the registry prevents the malware from executing during startup. Open Registry Editor. To do this, click Start>Run, type Regedit, then press Enter. In the left panel, double-click the following:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Run In the right panel, locate and delete the entry:

>I got that MSBLAST worm virus this morning and after talking>to Microsoft, I was able to get rid of it. I had to re-install>TCP/IP>and my NIC drivers but everything is working great. EXCEPT>FS9.>>I can't get it to load. When I double click the icon, it>starts to laod and then hangs up.>>I tried a full re-install but the same thing happens. I tried>putting in the No-CD crack but the same thing happens. I do not have a firewall up***** This is your problem! It is how you get the msblast worm! There is no email involved. It finds your computer and crawls into it, like a worm! Get a good firewall (sygate personal firewall is free and very good) *****>All my drivers are up to date and I am>using the OMEGA 4.4.0.3 drivers for my GeForce Ti-4800 card.>Sound drivers are up to date. Everything worked yesterday.>>Can someone PLEASE help me figure this out.>>Thank you >>Turnip>>Asus P4S533-E MB>P-4 2.4 Ghz>512 DDR RAM>GeForce 4 Ti-4800 w/128 megs RAM>S/B Audigy Platinum

TGABRIEL,Thanks for all the info.I did everything that you suggested and all went off without a hitch.I am sure that the blaster worm is not in my system.I still have the problem of reaching the opening splash screen and the sin hanging up.I'm about ready to pull my hair out. While I am no computer genius, I'm not stupid either. heheIt appears that all my other programs are working fine.Again... I cannot even get into the sim. The spalsh screen comes up and the game locks. My system does NOT lock up.Turnip

John, I reinstaled DirectX from the FS9 CD #1. Still no dice.I make it to the splash screen and then it hangs up.Turnip

Hi,I've had this problem many times. One of these two steps has always got me back to running the program.Step one, delete the fs9 config file or move it to another directory. FS9 will build another one.Step 2, delete the fs9 config file and start the program in software mode. Actually run the program for a few minutes. This will start the program in a window and the next time you start FS9 it will work.After you gett it working correctly, make a backup of the config file. If you have another problem starting, just add the backup. Why this works, I don'tknowe; but it does for me.Ed

Hi Ed,you said "Step one, delete the fs9 config file or move it to another directory. FS9 will build another one."I can't find a FS9.cfg file. The only one I see is FS2000.cfg? Or is there supposed to be a FS9.cfg? Seeing that this is a new install, it probably hasn't made one yet.Also, How do I run it in "software mode?Turnip

The fs9 config file is under>root drive> documents and settings> user name>application data>microsoft>fs9.The easiest way for me to use software mode is to remove the video drivers and run under vga mode, xp default. You will get a warning when you run fs9 about running in software mode. Continue to load and let the program run for a few minutes. Reload your video drivers and start fs9 again.If there is an easier way to run in software mode, I sure would like to know.Let us know if this helps or not.Ed

Hi Ed,I tried both of those items. I was able to go into VGA mode by pressing F5 on a reboot and entering VGA from there. It still hangs at the splash screen.Although it did create another FS9.CFG. I removed the first one and checked after I tried to run the program again.I am really stumped on this one. That worm really screwed me up bad. All my other programs work fine so far.Any other ideas. I re-installed DX9 also to no avail.Turnip

Hi Turnip,I'm sorry that didn't work for you. I can't think of any thing else to try. I know what you mean about that worm as I spent all day yesterday doing damage control. If I find anything else, I'll post it.Ed

BUMP Can ANYONE else help me with this problem?Turnip

OK It's fixed. Here is the solution.Download the latest Direct X from microsoft and reinstall it. DO NOT try to use the direct X on the COF CD.Turnip