Sign in to follow this  

Some observations (and Questions) with display settings...

Hi,in my lone and sometimes desperate tries to tune my system for FS9 i found something that wasn't mentioned before in these forums.Maybe it's just me, but to me it's an eye opener and it solves some of my problems. Don't expect anything miraculous though, i'll leave that to others.It all started when i bought a new video card to replace my rusty GF2MX. In my case i replaced it with a Radeon 9600 (non Pro). After installation i found (then still using FS2002) that none of the settings in ATI Control Panel (AA/AF,etc) had any effect in my display. Neither quality nor performance was affected.In FS9 the same situation occurred. I tried about everything (won't go into all that) except a complete reformat of my system.Yesterday i finally saw the light. In experimenting i went full screen (alt-Enter) and saw a definite change in FPS and quality. Call me stupid but i never used full screen since the FS98 days (when 3D was introduced for FS) and my system had a 3dfX addon card (The Diamond Monster i recall). That card just required the full screen device to run 3D, in windowed mode it was disabled.After that i only had cards that performed likewise in both modes.So i never used full screen anymore. With the Radeon (and doubtless so for any other card) i get every setting maxed in windowed mode. Not only the Control Panel settings but also the FS9 display settings in the hardware tab.Only in full screen the differences are visible. At first i also saw a definite change in FPS there. Frames were higher than in windowed mode, even with everything maxed. Than later, when i did some more experimenting (and serious flying too, that's what it's supposed to be used for...) i saw no FPS diff between windowed and full screen. I Have to do some more testing, but i suspect this has a relation with my second monitor being enabled/disabled in the process. I got that on the secondary DVI channel of the Radeon. Also have an old PCI card in my system, i will try to use that for the second tube and see what happens.Anyone with experience on this ?Anyway, to me it was a real eye opener to see that those video settings only have effect in full screen. I never read about that before. Is this normal behaviour ?After all the great help i got through these forums, i thought this might help some with similar problems.Cheers,Cas

Hi,could someone please give me some more insight on the questions i asked?Untill now i wasn't able to reproduce the full screen FPS boost. Actually, it's always lower than in windowed mode. With all settings maxed in ATI Control Panel the quality is equal to windowed mode.Is this normal ?Disabling my second monitor didn't make any difference. Also, enabling it on the PCI card i still have didn't either. It seems the ATI card doesn't mind me adding the 2nd tube to the DVI-output, at least it has no performance hit.Thanx,Cas