Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Running too Low on Virtual Memory

Recently I thought it'd be fun to start flying my CS757 again, and this time around, I randomly during the flight keep getting an error that I am running low on virtual memory, and flight ism exits, I never got this error message before when I used to fly the plane, anyone know what I can do to solve it?

Need your system specs. An if you are using a 32 bit O/S you might have to move to the 64 bit O/S.

Guest TomOOO

Before you buy new hardware/OS you could do something things. Virtual memory is nothing to do with the amount of RAM in your computer, but rather the total addressible space available space available - either as RAM or swap on disk. As McCrash notes, on a 32bit computer this is 4G (theoretically), but in fact the default setup on Windows is to allow programs only 2G of memory space. 1) Check you have enough disk space on your hard disk - you may not have enough space to grow the swap space on the hard disk - so you have limited allowed virtual memory. You can set a swap space to a value, though above 4G is pointless - and this limit must not be greater than the space left on the disk. Ie the hard disk is used for "memory" when you run out of RAM. So, to get 4G of total virtual memory on your 32 bit machine (system, graphics memory and program space) you must have that 4G on your hard disk available !2) Kill a few programs that are running on your computer taking virtual memory program space away from the FS. Make sure you don't have a virus, turn off the internet connection and kill the anti-virus for flying. These other programs are all taking away from your total 2G program-space.3) You don't have specs - but it is possible that with a couple of large graphics cards dual usage can make you run out of total memory - the graphics cards require virtual memory (the other 2G normally you can't get at), so 2x 1G memory cards attached to a 32 bit machine can cause issues with virtual memory since the OS will have made allowance for these and reduced the program-space.4) There is a mod for the OS that can assign more memory to program-space; more than the normal 2G. I would only recommend you do this is if you know what you are doing here. Especically if you have a large graphics card - you can memory fault the graphics card if you don't leave enough system virtual memory to the system by increasing the program space.5) Get a 64 OS. A 32bit program like FS9 and FSX can use up to 4G of memory, and 64bit program can use more than 2T of memory. So buying a 64 bit version of windows 7 for example will provide more space for the program to play. This is the expensive options of course - and you can theoretically get a slow down just upgrading the OS and not the computer.

Recently I thought it'd be fun to start flying my CS757 again, and this time around, I randomly during the flight keep getting an error that I am running low on virtual memory, and flight ism exits, I never got this error message before when I used to fly the plane, anyone know what I can do to solve it?
Search these forums - there are several threads on this subject already.

Guest TomOOO
TomOOOWhat do you mean by "memory fault the graphics card"?
The memory on the graphics card has a "copy" in the main RAM memory, which then has a copy on disk. In ram the memory copy is in the hidden systems area which is by default 2G. It shares this with OS processes memory. If you don't provide enough system space in the 4G addressible space of a 32 bit machine for the system memory and the graphics card then the graphics card cannot write data to RAM/disk if this is required (when you send so many textures to the video card). A page fault is when a page of memory is not in RAM or Vram for the video card - so requests it from disk.A fatal page fault is when that page of memory is not available to the computer - you don't have enough disk space, it got corrupted, or the system space does not have enough space for the Vram swap. You usually get a BSOD with an fatal page fault - it computer cannot ever recover from such an error.So I meant the graphics card could not write a Vram page to RAM as not enough virtual space is available to do so. This can only ever happen with very large memory graphics card configurations on 32bit OS and when the system space allocation has been reduced to increase the program VM.