Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

Autoland help

Guest Brent Hebert

Flying the default FS2004's 737-400 as well as the Lear 45, I was on my final approach for a 9L landing at KATL. I had the ILS frequency locked in as well as the heading and course set for 91 degrees. I had the autopilot engaged as well as the APPR engaged. I was under the impression from different versions that the ALT also had to be engaged for a proper autoland. However I have noticed that when I capture the glideslope, the plance doesn't decend, but maintains the ALT set.Is this a flaw or should I disengage the ALT HOLD?Brent Hebert

There is no autoland in FS2004vgb

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Brent,If you come in below the ILS-glideslope and engage APR on the autopilot, both APR and ALT are active. As soon as you hit the glideslope the ALT mode should disengage automaticly.Greets,Jelle

However, you seem to need deactivating the ALT for capturing the ILS at all. But still no autoland when you're down anyway... ;)

There is NO autoland for FS2004. If you want help flying an ILS and using the autopilot - that is a different thing altogether.You CAN trim the a/c so that it will *simulate* an autoland.The usual procedure is to set your NAV1 to the localizer. Engage A/P, set HDG, ALT and APR buttons. Fly to intercept the ILS *below* the glideslope. WHen you intercept the localizer the HDG button will trun off. AS you intercept the glideslope ( from below ) the ALT will turn off. From then on it depends on many things including airspeed, but if you have everything set right and the winds are kind you *may* get a touchdown with no further input. But it is NOT an autoland :)hth,vgb

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

As stated above, you simply click the APPR button on, while leaving HDG and ALT on as well. It could have just been a fluke. I was flying from KJFK to KBTV the other night and the HDG and ALT just dropped off moments after pressing APPR. Needless to say, I screwed the approach up big time. My second attempt worked fine and I didn't change anything.I'm still new to FS, however, I'm learning the IFR flying first, which has helped me get better with VFR flying. Not sure why. Having said that, ILS landing aren't autoland at all. You probably know (if not, read and do the lessons) that the LOC and G/S are really just a way to aid your flight to the RW when visibility is low. Obviously, this system is used for VRF flights by pilots as well because it does helps them stay on course manually. When flying IFR, I always file a plan so I'm on course with ATC and get the correct altitude, not that FS is real accurate with it's ATC guiding, but it's good enough for me for now. After you capture the LOC and make straight for the runway make sure you watch the G/S in case it doesn't disengage the ALT. If not, simply switch it off yourself and make the appropriate pitch descent and always make sure your speed is what it should be. Flaps and gear will effect speed and pitch too. They say not to switch the APPR button on too early or it might not work, so I usually wait until I've manually made the appropriate adjustments to line up the RW, then hit APPR. I will say that usually FS doesn't require this on my part and the APPR works even if not lined up however.Also, don't forget to flare before touchdown ;)

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired