Sign in to follow this  
ghiom

How to check whether the /3Gb /Userva is active in XP?

HiI have it set up in my boot.ini but how to see whether it is taken into account?ThanksGhiom

Guest firehawk44
HiI have it set up in my boot.ini but how to see whether it is taken into account?ThanksGhiom
For XP, 32 bit systems, only the /3GB switch is valid. You can check for it in the boot.ini under the Boot Tab in the System configuration (click on the Start button, select Run, then type in msconfig). You can also install it again if you're unsure whether it's installed or not. USERVA= switch is only used for Vista or Windows 7, 32 bit systems.Best regards,Jim

For XP, 32 bit systems, only the /3GB switch is valid. You can check for it in the boot.ini under the Boot Tab in the System configuration (click on the Start button, select Run, then type in msconfig). You can also install it again if you're unsure whether it's installed or not. USERVA= switch is only used for Vista or Windows 7, 32 bit systems.Best regards,Jim
Thanks for the update.I am using XP 32 bits with userva, w/o any harm so far. Do you think I should remove it? Or it prevents the switch from working?ThanksGhiom

Guest firehawk44
Thanks for the update.I am using XP 32 bits with userva, w/o any harm so far. Do you think I should remove it? Or it prevents the switch from working?ThanksGhiom
Not to confuse you anymore, what you did is absolutely correct. I stand corrected regarding the /3GB switch (it has been a while since I used it). I hope you have had a chance to read the excellent tutorial on setting up FSX and tuning it - http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041. It provides guidance on how to edit your boot.ini etc. So, please, please disregard my previous post and check out the link I provided. I think it will answer all of your questions regarding this switch.Best regards,Jim

Not to confuse you anymore, what you did is absolutely correct. I stand corrected regarding the /3GB switch (it has been a while since I used it). I hope you have had a chance to read the excellent tutorial on setting up FSX and tuning it - http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041. It provides guidance on how to edit your boot.ini etc. So, please, please disregard my previous post and check out the link I provided. I think it will answer all of your questions regarding this switch.Best regards,Jim
Thanks for your help.My original question was actually, how do you check that the 3Gb patch is enabled? Is there a way? Or the changed boot.ini is the only "proof"?ThanksGhiom

"For XP, 32 bit systems, only the /3GB switch is valid. "This is not a criticism or an "I know better" but I am unsure about the reply that firehawk44 made to this statement he made - it is unclear whether he retracted it or not.And if not, is he wrong? - cos I was told when posting here about my 4Gb that it was necessary on my XP 32bit sysytem.

"For XP, 32 bit systems, only the /3GB switch is valid. "This is not a criticism or an "I know better" but I am unsure about the reply that firehawk44 made to this statement he made - it is unclear whether he retracted it or not.And if not, is he wrong? - cos I was told when posting here about my 4Gb that it was necessary on my XP 32bit sysytem.
He is incorrect and he retracted it. He was referring to the USERVA variable - it IS functional in XP 32.to the OP - no easy way to check - you 'could' increase the userva value until your system crashes - not a recommended option.FSX with SP2 is Large Address Aware so if you have the line in the boot.ini file it should be working.Other than that there are some tech tools that probe and map memory that *might* give you a clue

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

He is incorrect and he retracted it. He was referring to the USERVA variable - it IS functional in XP 32.to the OP - no easy way to check - you 'could' increase the userva value until your system crashes - not a recommended option.FSX with SP2 is Large Address Aware so if you have the line in the boot.ini file it should be working.Other than that there are some tech tools that probe and map memory that *might* give you a clue
Thanks for all these insights.Question: is still possible to get the "you're computer has run out of memory" in FS9 with 4Gb RAM (3.5 active), the /3Gb switch and FS9.exe patched?ThanksGhiom

Guest firehawk44
Thanks for all these insights.Question: is still possible to get the "you're computer has run out of memory" in FS9 with 4Gb RAM (3.5 active), the /3Gb switch and FS9.exe patched?ThanksGhiom
I doubt it as FS9 can run on as little as 1GB of memory. It was made for much older systems requiring less memory. I know that when I upgraded my system to the current system, my FPS jumped dramatically with FS9. I seriously doubt you will see a need to set the /3GB switch with FS9. Best regards,Jim

I doubt it as FS9 can run on as little as 1GB of memory. It was made for much older systems requiring less memory. I know that when I upgraded my system to the current system, my FPS jumped dramatically with FS9. I seriously doubt you will see a need to set the /3GB switch with FS9. Best regards,Jim
I am actually getting OOM with the Level-d when arriving at complex airports (FSDreamteam).... Even with the setup described above.That is why I am investigating.Ghiom