Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bob I

OK, I've Had It With FX Cards..... Is There A Card

Guest Bob I

that will run FS9 properly. My system is P4 3.02 CPU, 1024 matched DDR, Asus P4800E, WinXP, 2 Maxtor 60 gig 133's, VP230 Digital monitor, etc. Tell me what it is and I'll buy it. Please....Layabout

Guest Max Cowgill

ATM, apparently not... Other than older cards like GF4/3 which won't allow you to run all the fancy graphical features like AA & AF like the newer Radeons and, to a lesser extent, the newer FXs will. I guess even the Radeon 9700 & 9800 have display issues in FS9. I'm not sure about the 9500 & 9600 though... If they don't have any display issues, you could go get a 9600 and overclock the poo out of it to get near 9700 performance. Same goes for the 9500.-Max Cowgill

"Other than older cards like GF4/3 which won't allow you to run all the fancy graphical features like AA & AF"Max...I'm able to run with AA and AF in FS2004 with my 4200 TI and the 30.82 drivers.... Haven't had any graphical artifacts, and performance isn't as degraded by those features as others have noted unless I try to run at the highest resolutions. I got a hold of the 4200 at www.shentech.com for $89 about five, six weeks ago... It's been great, and 8X AF (even at 800x600) looks amazing..-John

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hello,You'll probably hear all kinds of suggestions. Here's mine. Get a Radeon 9700 Pro or 9800 Pro and it'll work fine except for one issue. Which is flickering(or flashing) when using it in Full Screen Mode when you go to access menus. It doesn't affect gameplay at all. It's just annoying. ATI is aware of the issue and working on a fix. It'll probably be a while before we have updated drivers with the fix. But at ay rate, I think it's one of those cards is probably the best solution.Good Luck and Cheers,One Tin Soldier

Guest bjjones

Both the 9500 & the 9600 have the same problems as the 9500 is a chopped down 9700, the best bet is to wait until a new driver set is available, ATI are well aware there are problems http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4256.html and so are Nvidia who also say they are working to 'resolve conflict issues' until then I guess only the older cards will work without issues but even then my GF4 Ti4200 has problems with AA & AF it only clears up if I set them high which inturn kills FPS

Guest Max Cowgill

John, that's what I meant by being able to run AA & AF. What's the use if you have to run them at low resolution and low settings? Granted, any use of AA & AF is better than none but I'd much rather turn them all the way up as would most people here, I suspect.-Max Cowgill

Guest outtatimeiii

My older Radeon 7200 runs FS2004 like a charm. It has 4x antialiasing and "16x" anisotropic filtering (It claims 16x, but I doubt its really 16x LOL). The 7200 pretty old compared to the newer cards, so I doubt you will want this LOL.My friend with a Radeon 8500 has absolutely no problems as well. Seems like the older Radeons run FS2004 better (with the current drivers) than the newer ones LOL.

Layabout hi..I know the frustration as I run a 256MB FX5600 and for the life of me coulnt get the 2d panel to show.Do a goodle search for nvidia 44.67 drivers. They havent been officially released yet thru Nvidia but you can get em.I installed these yesterday and the graphics run very well. Most things maxed and I am pegged at 30pfs..and I get that.Only problem now is sound with horrible static when doing a spot view..with a SB live5.1..anyone got any ideas??Rob

Rob Grant
Compass Airlines - Stretch Your Wings Australia

Guest Max Cowgill

>Both the 9500 & the 9600 have the same problems as the 9500>is a chopped down 9700 and the 9600 is a castrated 9800, the>best bet is to wait until a new driver set is available, ATI>are well aware there are problems>http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4256.html and so are>Nvidia who also say they are working to 'resolve conflict>issues' until then I guess only the older cards will work>without issues but even then my GF4 Ti4200 has problems with>AA & AF it only clears up if I set them high which inturn>kills FPSThe 9600 is not a "chopped-down 9800". It is an entirely different chip utilising an entirely different architecture than the 9800. -Max Cowgill

I only lose 5 fps between 800x600 and 1280x1024....so I still think the card performs well, and probably would perform even better on a cpu better matched to its abilities. After all, I've tied up some of the card's performance around a 800MHZ cpu. If not the 4200, I'd think the 4800 would be worthwhile.One of the main reasons why the panel issues have cropped up for users is Microsoft has changed the 3-d engine and the way panels are rendered. I've suggested to FX users that they try adding this entry to the display section of fs9.cfg:PanelAsTexture=And setting it to "0" or "1", depending on what gets the panels back. I found one has to toggle between full screen and windowed mode, and back, to make the change "stick". Another flag to try is "TextureAGP=0". I know I can make the 2-d panels vanish in COF by setting PanelAsTexture=0, and using the AA offered in COF. If I turn off COF's AA and force it through Rivatuner, the 2-d panels work again. I suspect the first thing to try would be setting PanelAsTexture=1I've never heard back from an FX user what combination of these tweaks, if any, works. But if someone found something that worked, then it should be "stickied" to the top of the forum-John

Guest Bob I

card. So, I guess I should keep the FX, and go buy a 9800 Pro, and who ever fixes the problem first, install that card. To the nice responder above, a question.. How long have you been a Tin Soldier, and are you a regestered paid-up member in good standing? Are you allways at attention, or are you ready to march smartly off with your left foot forward, and your rifle shouldered. The salutation makes me think that you might be a Brit.... Thanks again.Bob.... in sunny FloridaAlias=layabout

Guest Bob I

Hi,I tried the 44.67, and got the 2D panel back, but developed another problem. I have a VP230 Digital display, and the picture raps around to the left. In other words, the first one inch of the left side of the screed shows up on the right side.... Make sense? I contacted the display Mfg., and he is aware of the problem, and is working, according to him, with Nvidia. I can see a question comming, so here is the answer. No you can't adjust the screen H/V. Digital centering is done thru the drivers. If it ain't one thing it's another. The sim works fine in Analog with the above drivers, however, I did not pay $2800.00 USD watch Analog on a Digital Display. Thanks for all the help.Bob I