Sign in to follow this  
Tierborn

J41 engine sounds

just pick up my J41 .. i like it very much. However, I have an issue with the engine sounds. Engine sounds are so loud in the flightdeck that i had to turn down the engine sound slider. But then that engine sounds will get lower and higher in volume automatically. I also noticed a BIG change in sound as you ascend through FL200.Anyone else experience engine sound problems? How did you resolve?Richard "Tierborn" Thomas

Ha ha! The cockpit of this bird really is a noisey place, the sounds are from an actual airplane recorded by pmdg is all it's faithful brillance. Man those Garretts really are loud, ever been on a MU-2 as a passenger. Goodness.

Dan Downs KCRP

The plane is not long, you are really close to the props (which make the most noise on a turboprop when at speed)... All the Youtube videos of J41s and other Garrett powered aircraft pretty much confirm the racket...Andrew

I just dont like how the sounds dont change if you apply less or more thrust other then that everythings cool.

That's how the real aircraft is though. The engines and props are always running at 100% RPM or near enough, makes no different how much torque you've set. Hence the sounds doesn't change much with different power settings. If you want to hear the engine sounds change in pitch, then fiddle with the condition levers, as they adjust the speed of the engine and props (remember the two are geared directly to each other)I ran a batch conversion on the internal engine sounds using Audacity (someone posted a tutorial here in the forums), and reduced the volume to a level I found more pleasant.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

The engines are so loud that a number of people have reported it's impossible to hear ATC.What seemed to said is that real JS41 pilots wear either sound cancelling or at least sound proofed earphones.Therefore what we are hearing is accurate levesl of engine noise WITHOUT headphones whereas that isn't in fact the pilots' experience.Digital Aviation went to the lengths of providing 2 soundsets for their Piper Cheyenne which were switchable from the configurator - one as heard with protective headphones, the other without.

ngxu_banner.png

Those sounds will be lowered in incoming SP2, although I got used to them :)

I would assume that extremely loud engines wouldn't exactly be an exciting option for a regional airline that is looking to provide the highest possible levels of comfort for its paying passengers. Given that there are other (quieter) aircraft available that can do the same job, maybe this is one reason why the Jetstream 4100 wasn't quite as successful as it should have been?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png