Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

The first add-on for MS Flight Simulator?

Curious... What was the first commercial add-on and freeware add-on available for flight simulator?From my brief research it looks like Microsoft was really the first around FS5.0 but I am thinking of a 3rd party add-on. I imagine back in the day of bulletin boards?Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Guest zacharace

Good question. I'd venture somewhere in the late '90s as the Internet became more broadly available. Imagine downloading even a 10MB add-on via dial-up, though... :(

I seem to remember it being some kind of scenery... probably from either SubLogic or Microsoft?Much earlier than the 1990s, though - I'm thinking 1983-ish.
Yep-at that time fs only came with a few airports. The first commercial add on I remember was add in airports for state regions put out I think by sublogic. I don't remember the year or sim version but 1983 sounds pretty close.I was thrilled to get a bunch of black lines on solid green scenery which represented the airports in my state.How far we have come!

"I was thrilled to get a bunch of black lines on solid green scenery which represented the airports in my state."Lol. Glad I was not just drinking anything.This may resurrect the wistful nostalgia of the days when our imagination created most of the scenery.. and did a half-decent job of it.

My first addon was "Dallas/Ft Worth" (circa 1997) created by Robert Montgomery, publisher of MicroWings Magazine - which was really THE only source of info for simmers then, since almost nobody had internet.If I recall, it came on 4 diskettes in the mail and was the first time I had heard of ANY such thing as addon software for FS.In 1990, Microwings sponsored a wildly succesful sim conference in Seattle. Robert trucked his simualtor all the way from Dallas. This spectacular machine consisted of the entire nose section of a small jet transport (probably a Fokker?) with flight deck and first two rows of seats (two abreast each side).There were CRT monitors for both captain and FO- both ahead and L/R Fwd as well as side viewing monitors for the passenger seats. He used 5 networked PCs to drive the whole thing and it was the hit of the show!Also there, Matrox displayed their G400 video card driving a multi monitor display. I was hooked and ordered one soon after getting home. And that's where the magic of multiple views started for me!Sadly MicroWings mag survived only a couple of more years- a victim of the internet.Wonder what ever happened to Robert? - He was truly Mr Flight Sim of that era.Alex Reid

I think you got that one right, Alan. so we have:1st MS flightsim addon = Microsoft Flight Simulator Aircraft & Scenery Designer in 1990 for FS41st 3rd party commercial addon = ???Could it be a company named Mallard? Found an adventure addon from 1992 for FS4http://cgi.ebay.com/Flight-Adventure-685-M...=item43a03aa42f1st freeware addon = ???

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU

I'm pretty sure Bruce Artwick's company made Aircraft and Scenery Designer and it was merely published by MS, which didn't actually own the FS brand until about 1995-ish, although I could be wrong on that.First freeware add-on would have been when someone used Aircraft and Scenery Designer and gave their friend a floppy disk with what they had made on the disk LOLAl

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Curious... What was the first commercial add-on and freeware add-on available for flight simulator?From my brief research it looks like Microsoft was really the first around FS5.0 but I am thinking of a 3rd party add-on. I imagine back in the day of bulletin boards?Clutch
This is a fun question! Tom Allensworth would probably remember what was the first freeware addon because he operated one of the first flightsim BBS; CAPENET between 1983 and 1995. Sadly, Avsim probably has lost some of the older files in last year's hack. Flightsim.com has an FS3 addon by Bob Dennin. It's description is: fsmods.zip Size: 23,885 Date: 09-26-1989 Downloads: 40 A collection of Flt.Sim III modes. Many from all Scenery disks. ben

That is a fun question! I may not be old enough to give a hint as to the first, but I do remember picking up Data Becker's Air Force One add on at the "big mall" near my town. :( I was in love from then on. Anyone remember that one? (Don't answer that as I don't want to hijack the thread!!!)

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Don't worry about it Zach, it's all in fun. Boy, that's a great find Ben! I didn't think there would be anything for FS3. I'm not sure what's more interesting - the fact that there was an addon for FS3 or the fact that Flightsim.com still had that in their library! 21 years ago Bob Dennin uploaded that. :( 40 downloads, ha! That was probably the entire simming community back then, :( Not sure just what "modes" mean in the file but I am downloading to take a look. I happen to have FS3 so I might have to try 'er out.So if we look at it now:1st MS flightsim addon = Microsoft Flight Simulator Aircraft & Scenery Designer in 1990 for FS41st 3rd party commercial addon = Flight Adventure #685 for MS Flight Simulator 4.0 19921st freeware addon = FS3 Modes by Bob Dennin on 09-26-1989 Who will be knocked off the thrown?(OMG, Tom's been around that long... he's definitely a "life'r")