Sign in to follow this  

My ATI 9800 "flashing" in full screen GONE - mostly

To anyone this might help...I thought I'd share an interesting find. I have been suffering from the same ATI flashing problem as everyone else whenever switching from window/full mode or just operating the menu (ALT) from full screen. I had ALMOST resigned to just running in windowed when I decided to revisit my BIOS settings after reading a really cool online guide...one I hadn't used before (and I spend a LOT of time tweaking and tuning). The link is www.rojakpot.com - click on the BIOS guide 7.7. After going through this guide I only changed 2 settings - first I ENABLED "Delayed Transaction" - it was previously defaulted to disabled. Second, I increased my PCI Latency Timer from 32 default to 64. Then I rebooted and ran FS9. I'm not sure which setting caused this - but my flashing/flickering is GONE in full screen mode. The text doesn't bleed any more either - AT LEAST in 1600x1200x32. In other resolutions it bleeds again. Also...from the opening screen if I change anything in the display menu (like resolution or filtering, etc) - the screen DOES flicker a few times...but once in the sim itself operating the menu from full screen DOESN'T flicker. So, the problem isn't FULLY gone, but enough so that it isn't NEAR the nuisance until new drivers are released that correct everything. So..let me know if anyone else has the same results. Here's my specs:P4 2.8 @ 3.1Asus P4T533-C1G PC1066 RDRAMTB Santa CruzATI 9800 Pro 128MSeagate Cheetah X15-36LP (18G) x 2Win2K Pro SP4 w/ DX9.0b

Interesting find. The sound of the word "delay" scares me a little. Well it doesnt scare me but concerns me as it sounds like it well..... is some sort of delay or in other words slow down for just a millisecond or so. Any fps slow down?(-:Will try and let you knowBob

Bob..no slowdown here...if anything faster! Check out the online guide and check those two settings - it really does a great job explaining what those settings actually do. Let me know!Gino

I can't find these settings in the bios on my ASUS A7N8X motherboard.Otherwise I would have liked to give these settings a try.Steve

Guest cw1011

I'm genuinely happy for you. Those of us with Dells, however, have an extremely limited number of variables that can be changed in the BIOS. Not surprisingly, these are not among them. Dell hates the idea that you might find ways to get better performance out of your machine (i.e. by overclocking) rather than buy a whole new box. They even give you a real scare story if they get the hint you are thinking about upgrading a processor. Colin