Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

C185 Bush for FS9

Hi Rustam,One can certainly fly IFR without DME but it does have it's own challenges. You can either use timing to try an determine your distances from a VOR (the one you just passed) or you can use cross radials to determine your position along a route. In some instances, you may not be able to do an approach that requires DME. For instance, there may be two VOR approaches to an airport, one that's just a plain vanilla VOR approach and one that says VOR DME. The latter would give you lower minimums but at least you'd have an option if you were without the equipment.Big questions! :( Yes, it is entirely possible to fly in and out of international airports without DME, all you need is a radio and transponder. Again, if a DP or STAR required DME, you would need to file your IFR flightplan with remarks that specified "no DPs/STARs".As to flying VFR, the main thing is just knowing wher you are at all times. That doesn't require any nav aids at all, just a sectional and a good pair of eyes. If you are departing a class C or B airport, you'll need to call Clearance Delivery and get a VFR clearance to exit the airspace (I ask for flight following to my destination so they don't drop me once I pass the border of their airspace). They will normally specify what kind of direction they want you to fly and an altitude restriction. After that, you are on your own for navigation.
Just noticed your sig, Ka'anapali! I stayed at the Westin there for a vacation, and have flown pax into Kapalua for a while now!

Just noticed your sig, Ka'anapali! I stayed at the Westin there for a vacation, and have flown pax into Kapalua for a while now!
Yeah, I got married on Ka'anapali Beach. :( Your signature looks very familiar. Is that the wreck off Shipwreck Beach on Lana'i?