Sign in to follow this  
Daviddv

Flight sim wants to connect to crl.microsoft ??

Recently when I start FS (still 2k2), it often loads my browser and tries to dial out. If I allow it, my firewall says it is trying to connect to crl.microsoft.com. I can't start FS unless I go through this routine, which is pretty annoying. Can anybody explain why this should have started recently? I think it is something to do with 'certificates', but why does this happen with just FS?. I am up-to-date with antivirus.Thanks in advance for any ideasDavidWin98SE, Amd1.4, 256Mb

Rename your fs2002.cfg to fs2002.OLD. Restart fs2002, let it stabilize, and see if you still have the problem. If so, delete the new fs2002.cfg and rename fs2002.OLD to fs2002.cfg. If not, you will have to set your preferences again for your joystick, display, etc.W. Sieffert

Thanks for your suggestion - I tried renamimg fs2002.cfg, but as soon as I tried to start FS, my browser attempted to dial out. I then have to do a Alt/Ctrl/Del and abort FS, before closing my browser.FS had started to create a new .cfg, which I have removed.When this happened a couple of weeks ago, the only way I could get FS to start was to allow it to make contact with crl.microsoft.com, but I am very wary of contacting unknown sites (even M$) when I don't know the reason.Any other thoughts out there?David

Guest Milton

A common issue in FS2002 was if you connected to a hosted MP game, quit and later fired up the sim, your computer would keep pinging the host's IP from your earlier session. If this is your issue, it could be that FS9 is trying to reconnect to the host of your previous MP game.Milton

Guest N73GX

OK This should fix the underlying problem open your browserr and in the menus at the top go to Tools>Internet Options. then go to your connections tab in there click the check area that says "Never dial a connection. That will fix one problem but the other is the sim wanting to connect to crl.microsoft.com. For some reason that doesnt set with me right. >Recently when I start FS (still 2k2), it often loads my>browser and tries to dial out. If I allow it, my firewall says>it is trying to connect to crl.microsoft.com. I can't start FS>unless I go through this routine, which is pretty annoying. >Can anybody explain why this should have started recently? I>think it is something to do with 'certificates', but why does>this happen with just FS?. I am up-to-date with antivirus.>>Thanks in advance for any ideas>David>>Win98SE, Amd1.4, 256MbThanks

crl.microsoft.com is the server that manages the MS certificate revocation list. I have no idea why FS9 would want to access that server but if it were doing it on my machine I'd put up a permanent block.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Further to the recent ideas, I have never used multiplayer or any online aspects of FS, and yes, it would appear that its something to do with a certificate revocation list.Unfortunately, I cannot actually start FS until it has got in touch with crl.microsoft, so I can't permanently block it!I have no idea why FS should have suddenly wanted to speak to its maker, but, after it has done so, FS will start normally. I guess I will have to live with it, but it obviously doesn't appear that this is a common problem.Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.David