Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

virus help... anyone run into this?

Guest Larry S

My brother just scanned for virus (does it at least once month) and found this in his download folder. This is the full file name-"flight.simulator.2002.pro.10.us.backupcd.zip". Mcafee says it's the win95cih virus.Doesn't remember dl'ing it, and a name that long would be hard to forget. Since cih doesn't work in win2k, we opened it to see if it really is a zip file, it was. Only contents was fs2002.exe. Same size as original. No, we didn't try running that file.backupcd, and a copy of fs2002.exe sounds like a no-cd crack, but you don't need the cd for 2002, so need for a crack?Any one else seen it, it or have any idea where it may have come from?Really the cih virus, or a false trigger?

Guest WorkingStiff

I guess curiousity really kills the cat. :-)You're actually playing with fire; I can't imagine why anyone would want to open a file tagged as a virus. Why not delete it since its obviously a file you don't need.

Guest wathomas777

Probably a trojan horse. It was probably developed around the time FS2002 came out. In pre-release, many people would want to download it not knowing that the sim would not require a CD in the drive. After all, FS2000 required the CD, so it would be "safe" to assume FS2002 would as well.The biggest risk with delving into the dark caverns of "hackerdom" or "pirateland" is that like any "bad neigborhood" there are folks all over the place ready to have a cheap laugh or two at others expense.Let's remember Piracy IS A CRIME, and for all intents and purposes, the NO CD Crack is an illicit piece of software. We all may justify it's use because we actually purchased the software and didn't "pirate" it, but that doesn't change the legality of it at all.There are those in this forum who feel that anyone who uses, talks or otherwise thinks of using a CD crack should be locked up with the rest of the crackers, hackers, and pirates.There are others who feel the use of a CD crack with a legally purchased copy of the program is on the same legal footing as driving 5 miles over the speed limit.I happen to be of the latter. But whether it is using a CD crack or driving a little over the speed limit, the truth is, it is a risk that I take and take so willingly. Thus if you go searching for a CD crack in this game, and get infected, hey, it's on you.(On a side note, everyone who owns XP should look at Microsoft's website or your own help files and learn how to activate your built in firewall. I was even unaware that XP had it's own software based firewall built in. And since the MSblast bug was using Port 135, I'm pretty sure that if we had been using ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) we would have been safe from MSblast, even with the security hole.....)

Guest wathomas777

(Hi, the use of the crack isn

Guest Larry S

whoops- before this goes in the wrong direction and I get a bad rep here... nobody was looking for any kind of crack. We've both been using legal copies of fs2k2 since it was released, with no cd required. No real need to go looking for a crack now. This is either a file he downloaded in error (maybe it was hidden in a zip he downloaded?), or it just appeared. Keep in mind he scans for virus once a month or less, so it showed up in the last 30 days or less. I've searched all the flight sim sites I can think of and cant find it. I'd like to know if really is a virus, and it sure smells like one, and where it came from. A reputable site would want to know if someone snuck a bug in. And if it's a site that doesn't care, I don't want to go there.

Guest wathomas777

Don't worry about your REP.The file is possibly a virus, meant to sucker unsuspecting users into installing it on there computers. Trojan Horses have been around since time eternal.I once downloaded a program back in the 300baud BBS days that claimed it could copy and backup F-15 Strike Eagle by Microprose. (At the time, the most heavily copy protected software on the market).Guess what, it formatted my F-15 disk. Oops. Kiss that $30.00 down the drain.As far as a CD crack goes, MOST of us in the United States realize that it does break the EULA, in the same way that driving 60 in a 55 zone breaks traffic laws. And while most of us use it without hesitation, we still can't officially post links to it, or otherwise. It would be like me driving 60 in a 55 during my driving test. Not too wise. However, in Europe, it seems that it is legal, so you will see many European sites openly post it. God I love Google.

Guest Ken_Salter

Heh, I wonder if Microprose themselves made that "crack" to get the people trying to copy F-15 Strike Eagle (I loved that game btw!).Kinda like: Okay the speed limit is 55, but the governemnt won't put "governors" in your car to keep you from going faster than 55, so you are able to go faster (and break the law if you choose to!). Then the government puts out police with radar and will write you a very expensive ticket if they catch you speeding. Of course, you can buy a radar detector to try to get around the police radar. Then the state may outlaw radar detectors, and if you get caught with one, it is another hefty ticket...and the beat goes on....http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

Guest wathomas777

What a great sig line, and what a cool movie. I shudder at the idea of a remake. No ONE is Willy Wonka except Gene Wilder. He nailed that role, you never knew if he loved kids or despised them. Even as an adult, that movie gives me a bit of the creeps. I love it. Thanks to Roald Dahl for penning some of the most captivating as well as terrifying images of childhood. That guy had a bad childhood you can tell. Just read Matilda, or James and the Giant Peach. The dude was twisted.

Guest Ken_Salter

Well, if anyone could do a remake - I would think Tim Burton could pull it off. Yeah, Gene Wilder was Willy Wonka - I have no idea who could do it - please jeebus not Jim Carrey...I never considered that movie a "kids" movie, probably why us Gen Xers ended up the way we did :-lolhttp://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

Guest wathomas777

I especially love the when they go through the tunnel in the boat. My favorite family favorite moment was the image of the decapitation of the chicken. However did they sneak that one past the censors, but of course since it didn't involve nudity, it's ok for kids.....:-lol