Sign in to follow this  

Now if this don't freak you out...nothing will

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0...5E13762,00.htmlNow if you think the article is all BS, here is the company's home page. Check out the New Products section. If you get lost, the third link is a direct one to that page. Note the lack of mention to "research". The "product" is available now it seems.I am very sad. This is right out of "End Times" Sadly also, the company is Canadian. :(bthttp://www.nexiabiotech.com/http://www.nexiabiotech.com/HTML/research/index.shtml

Lovely!I can't wait until they make donkey-mouse, Kangaroo-rabbit, mosquito-shark, cat-dog, etc.

Eric Thornton

thats in todays paper??

Hi Braun,I'm taking it that you don't think its a "cool thing" from your posts? I can understand your reservation of course... But then again, think back to the 1600's or any other point in history. Replacing someone's heart with another's would have been "black magic" back then - the same with a ton of things that are just plain "normal" to us today, which save and extend our lives in innumerable ways. In a hundred years from now, we'll wonder how humanity survived without advances that DNA combining have given us.What *does* worry me a bit is when DNA manipulation is used in our food supply. While it indeed can be extremely useful and has the potential to completely eradicate world hunger in a century or so, it needs to be extremely tightly controlled and regulated.As long as laws are passed that keep this type of research happening at a reasonably forward pace and with the right checks and balances in place, I think its great... Nature has been doing this exact type of thing for as long as this world has been in existence: whenever a new "functionality" in a species has been needed its been provided. Nature just hasn't seen the need for a silk producing goat as yet.We do.Take care,http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

Elrond: There are many areas of DNA/Genome research that are exciting and hopeful endeavors. Much like the Atom, 99% of nuclear science and medicine does not lead to the split and subsequent horror of the Atom's power.Nature can teach us well in these area's too. As far as we know, unless we go back to the beginning of time where we have no clear understanding of processes that led to our existence, Nature has always had clear boundaries which it does not cross. Similar species have had hybrids occur naturally and with mans help forever. Some hybrids survive, some fail. Many are born infertile, which in Darwin's mind was proof positive of the checks and balances in natural selection, which insures the success of a species.On the other hand, what is discussed here is the not the merging of two separate and distinct species. This mutation crosses separate phyla

Guest Holliday

So you have decided to get worried about this now? At this late date? Granted we are messing with evolution on a much more advanced scale now, but think about it for a minute. Humans have been doing this for thousands of years. You don

My friend, this is not a poodle.bt

Guest Holliday

It's a scary goat then.

As long as bio-modified animals are kept in control and cannot circulate with other uncontrolled animals of the same species, I don't have any problem with it. But when we start mixing MonkeyCows with normal cows..... Well things become bad for the rest of the cow population from there on. Not a good thing. It's like europeans introducing all these animals to foreign lands. Disastrous. Hopefully there will be laws governing who can do this and who can't, and what they have to do to keep it under control.

Guest Holliday

I have strapped on a gun and a badge and walked out to protect my fellow citizens without benefit of a vest. At the time they were costly, bulky, and not terribly effective. Today they are still bulky and expensive, albeit a little more effective. If these goats can improve that situation I say we need more goats.I have treated a bleeding patient with full blown end-stage AIDS with nothing more between the virus and my skin but a couple layers of latex; and I have done this a lot. If these goats can remedy that situation then bring on the goats. The future is coming; lead, follow, or get out of the way. Just don

Indeed it is a scary goat! LOLbt

Bio-technology doesn't concern me when its used for peaceful means. A lot of people get worked up about it, but it's mostly due to misinformation, usually spread by news media looking for a controversial story to boost ratings. Why doesn't it concern me that scientists are monkeying around with DNA in the lab? Because the simple fact is that the DNA in my body, your body, every living thing on the planet is undergoing constant modification, every day. As I type this the cells of my body are being bombarded by cosmic rays, background radiation, chemical contaminants, etc. All of which are constantly destroying/modifying the DNA in my body. The good news is that 99.9999.....% of these genetic mutations aren't viable, and they die, or at least they can't replicate. Every once in a while, one of these mutations is able to survive. Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're bad. So what the scientists are doing in the lab is nothing different than what takes place every second of every day, naturally. What DOES concern me is the potential, as with any technology, that it can be misused. Modifying the DNA of a common virus for instance to turn it into a deadly biological weapon. Or a fascist dictator using the technology to breed a race of super warriors. And so on. That's what concerns me.Mike Stone

Mike...I agree with all of your comments, but I would like to add one.Spider/goat DNA does not occur naturally. It cannot. The Genie is once again out of the bottle. Just like the splitting of the Atom, when you force Nature to do what it does not (for good reason, or we would all live in a fiery atomic furnace) it releases forces completely beyond our control. Trinity, 1945 relived. And if we can make spidergoat, what about BeeBoy? FleaMan? Think I'm nuts?bt

Guest Holliday

One more time; the heroes who died, and those who survived, the events that you mention in your signature all could benefit from the one little protein in this goats milk. Would you deny those people and all those like them the protection better ballistic vests could provide? Or better gloves for the health care professionals? How much goat