Sign in to follow this  
ShezA

FS2004 Installation: What to do about this?

OK Guys,Have tried all kinds of methods to get my latest arrival FS2004 to install but the following screen keeps cropping into either Disk 1 or Disk 2 installation processes. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/30690.jpgSometimes it is MSGAME1.cab, sometimes MSGAME2.cab, sometimes MSGAME6.cab.I have tried increasing the virtual memory size to 4096MB and down to 500MB and still keep getting this screen during installation. I have an AMD XP1900 768MB RAM. What is the solution?ThanksShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Try disabling DMA access on your CD rom. This was an issue for a few people (including me) with FS2002.Doug Dawson

winXP. I have tried the auto setting too. No joy.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Thanks Doug. I read this somewhere else too but what was puzzling was that XP does not seem to have an option to give user control over DMA. I remember this was in Device Manager in Win98 but could not see it in XP. Any idea where this is?ThanksShez

Shez Ansari

Guest freequest

To adjust DMA setting for IDE acces just do thisRight click on mycomputer in start menu pick propertiesDevice manager >IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers >bring up properties in your primary and secondary contorlers.It should be under the advanced TAB

Guest JonP01

When you do find out how to do it, I suggest you also disable DMA on the hard drive as well. I was not able to install FS2004 successfully until I had disabled DMA on both the CD ROM and hard drive. Just don't forget to turn your hard drive DMA back on after installing it. I forgot to at first and the result was terrible fluctuations in frame rates until I re-enabled it.

How much hard drive space do you have left?I had almost the same problem...http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchI have since removed FS2004.Did some harddrive clean up, defraged my HDD, and thenreinstalled FS2004. I had over 15Gig of HDD free, and the2nd time I installed, I was error free... Not sure what theproblem was.Thinking of removing FS2004 again, just don't use it, the FPSare like FS2000....Good luck...

Guest JonP01

>How much hard drive space do you have left?>>I had almost the same problem...>>http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search>>I have since removed FS2004.>>Did some harddrive clean up, defraged my HDD, and then>reinstalled FS2004. I had over 15Gig of HDD free, and the 2nd>time I installed, I was error free... Not sure what the>problem was.>>Thinking of removing FS2004 again, just don't use it, the FPS>are like FS2000....>>Good luck...Yeh, I thought it might have been the space on my hard drive at first. But then I had to do a complete re-format so I got the whole 40 gigs with which to install it. I actually think that my SiS 745 chipset is perhaps the weak link here.

Thanks for the assistance. I have 12GB left on the drive so that should not be an issue. I will try it out again with the DMA off when I get back from work.Shez

Shez Ansari

Jon, Doug, Ben,This sounds like the problem so will give it a go when I get home from work.I just did a test install on my office laptop (naughty! naughty!) and it works fine, so no problems with the disks.ThanksShez

Shez Ansari

Tried all the (very useful) tips on the relevant MS Knowledge Base article and here from you guys, and still no joy. Same problem.Things tried:1) Page file rebuild on C: and F: (FS drive)2) CHKDSK on C: and F:3) Turning off all background programs4) Installation on C: or F:5) Turning off DMA on the HD and CDThe only thing left is E:. I am thinking the only issue I can see is that C: and F: have 5GB and 8GB left but they are both showing 42% and 39% left on disk. Could this be causing it? The physical space is more than enough though.Shez

Shez Ansari

Guest Howard

I had this problem. I uninstalled the chipset driver and application accelerator and reinstalled them. I think they were corrupting the reading of the CD or the writing to the HD.RegardsHoward