Sign in to follow this  
gosta

Purchasing CPU for Fs2004: 3.2 GHz or wait for 3.4 (Prescott)

All,I have the money for a new PC. Should I get the current 3.2 GHz Pentium IV or wait until November for the Prescott 3.4 Ghz?Tim

The prescotts will require a new motherboard because they don't fit on the current ones. If you get the 3.2GHz make sure its the one with the 800MHz FSB

Yesss why not wait when you are able to buy the 3.4, but hoooooo then there will be the 3.6 so buy that on,e and you could wait for the 3.8 and so on............... Just buy the 3.2 they keep coming out with new ones, so if you would wait you will have to wait until they make there last proc. L.Jim

Guest Max Cowgill

Personally, I would wait for the Prescott. It should be considerably faster than the current P4s. Improvements to HyperThreading, a new instruction set (Prescott New Instructions), a larger L2 cache (1MB), a larger data/trace cache (~20kb last I heard vs. 12kb now), higher clock speeds, and who knows what else? Besides, if you get a 3.2GHz P4 you've got absolutely no upgrade path since it is the highest clockspeed the P4 will reach. At least with Prescott you'll be able to go to 4GHz and higher.Don't forget about AMD's Athlon 64 which is due out next month as well. The Athlon 64 should perform on par with the Prescott in most applications, and better than Prescott in any kind of engineering & intense/complex math applications.hope this helps,Max Cowgill

Hi Tim,personally, I would wait. The new CPUs are going to use a different socket, so if you're also looking for upgradeability, you'd be able to replace the CPU with a faster one without having to change the motherboard, while the current P IV 3.2 GHz is pretty much the end of the line. Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg