Sign in to follow this  
Javiz

MAAM-SIM Goes Native FSX !

I agree it's great to see steps in the FSX native direction but I also have to agree with G7 that perhaps owners of existing MAAM products are getting left behind. I would gladly pay (again) for an FSX version of BT B25 rather than have to endure half measures to get limited functionality under FSX with the "fixes". I have not been able to successfully load BT under Win7 FSX/Acceleration with the provided fixes. The result is flaky and only partially functional. My PC platform continues to evolve: why can't MAAM products keep pace?
It's also sad that after three months of asking, nobody representing MAAMSIM, has bothered to give definitive answer. :(

Dave Taylor gb.png

It's also sad that after three months of asking, nobody representing MAAMSIM, has bothered to give definitive answer. :(
You're right, Dave. I want the Dak & I want the Mitchell. I don't want an ol' bipe, however good it is. If MAAM sold 1000 copies of the DC-3 for FS9 - MAAM will sell 1000 copies of the same aircraft for FSX. Same with BT. These are two Microsoft Flight Sim classics. I will bet good money that the bipe doesn't produce a quarter of the revenue for the museum that these two will, and it will only serve to delay the production of them to the degree that they may well never be produced. :(
I would gladly pay (again) for an FSX version of BT B25 rather than have to endure half measures to get limited functionality under FSX with the "fixes".
Absolutely!Four (five?) years ago I put off buying FSX because of the absence of these two MAAM aircraft, plus Dreamfleet's Boeing 727. I eventually got tired of asking Paul Golding "When", and so moved to FSX and sadly purchased the Coolsky MD80, but it wasn't half the aircraft that the 727 was: I gambled again - on the Leonardo Maddog MD-80, and four years later I'm still flying it - and usually two-to-three flights a week. This is a wonderful, classic aircraft that has a cult-like following. THAT is how we "Briefing Time" and DC-3 flyers feel. Your two aircraft brought a magic to the sim that most others have not yet achieved. It is such a disappointment that five years later we still have no BT; or DC-3; nor even one on the horizon. :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Wow!!, guys! Thanks much for the positive comments, it's very much appreciated ! :( Cheers,Jan
Hi Jan. Yes looks fantastic.Now for the cruncher,when do you think it will be released? Cheers Chris

yessss...this is one of the biggest disappointments in fsx history.....it's often happens that when something great is created, something else will come along and try to destroy it.......the way of the world i guess.....and this is not nice at all.....after so many promises and after that huge carrot by dark moment................and i'd say it's a dark moment for all of us dc-3 and b25 fans.....then again, maybe we're only one or two dozen fans :( that would explain a lot.......

yessss...this is one of the biggest disappointments in fsx history.....it's often happens that when something great is created, something else will come along and try to destroy it.......the way of the world i guess.....and this is not nice at all.....after so many promises and after that huge carrot by dark moment................and i'd say it's a dark moment for all of us dc-3 and b25 fans.....then again, maybe we're only one or two dozen fans :( that would explain a lot.......
by the way ....just noticed the screenshots of just flight's dc-3, and it just doesn't look right, and is a no go for me......

The reason there has been no team response to these "questions" is that it has all been said and explained before. It's also long been my personal policy not to rise to negativism in this or any other forum. Almost always some of our fans and loyal customers do a good job defending MAAM-SIM and I'm happy to keep my own council, and keep things positive. Apparently, though, my silence has been taken by some as evidence we just don't give a hoot. Nothing can be further from the truth.We fully understand the disappointment and frustration that the DC-3 and B-25 lovers have expressed. Jan laid out his reasons for taking on a smaller plane as a learning platform, fully realizing that the N3N would never be the huge seller that the incomparable Douglas would be. But that plane's popularity and sales volume was not the controlling factor in the decision. Jan being the perfectionist that he is, the "Yellow Peril" is taking a lot of time. Unless you have been involved in it yourself, I doubt you have any idea of the incredible number of man-hours it takes to put together a quality FSX product. Why can't MAAM keep pace with your computer upgrades?! Really? Despite all the blood, sweat and tears, it sounds as if some of you think we should just toss the N3N aside and get on with the DC-3, as long promised. After all, the bipe won't sell as many copies as the Dak. Well, I believe, and I know that Jan and the rest of the team would agree, that would be a mistake.The recently released version 10 of the R4D/DC-3/C-47 package which includes an FSX installer with the upgrades included has been selling surprisingly well, considering it is a port-over. We are working on the final touches of a new package for the B-25, as well. It is for FSX and FS9 and it has a number of new features, including a fully functional VC, removable yokes, an engine failure option, animated pilots, numerous camera definition views, and 40 additional liveries. I hope to have it finished and on sale by the end of the month, if not before. We realize these are stop-gap measures, so you need not point that out.Now I'm going to let you in on some inside information from the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum that is driving all recent MAAM-SIM decisions. The expenses to put on the 20th Anniversary World War II Weekend this past June were almost a half-million dollars, up about a third over the 2009 bill. This show is the primary source of revenue for our museum, and because of the skyrocketing expenses coupled with disappointing attendance, we are really hurting. The awful economy is killing us, and the Museum desperately needs money now, rather than later, to keep its doors open. That is why I decided to put out new editions of both the DC-3 and B-25 now, stop-gap though they may be. That is also why we are not about to throw away, or even delay the release of the N3N, which is at worst a few months away, in favor of beginning the DC-3 project which will take much, much longer to begin making money.We also have a couple other irons in the fire. Besides Jan, there are two other top-notch designers working with MAAM-SIM who are well along on native FSX aircraft. Because of the competition, we are not quite ready to reveal these aircraft, let alone predict a release date, so you'll have to bear with us. They are MAAM-SIM quality, though, I can promise you that much.There is another factor that plays a large part in all this, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. A much larger company than MAAM-SIM, who shall remain nameless, has announced and previewed an FSX DC-3/C-47 package. Whether or not MAAM-SIM can match or surpass its quality, and we are confident we could, its release will have a major impact on the profitability of our package.I know that all the foregoing still won't satisfy some of you. You want your MAAM-SIM native FSX DC-3, and nothing else matters. I'm sorry about that, but these are the sad facts. However, if you would like to make a donation of a couple hundred thousand dollars to MAAM so that we don't have to take the immediate financial needs of the museum into account, we'll do whatever you want. We'll drop everything and start on the DC-3 as soon as your check clears! But playing Captain Hindsight (South Park fans will recognize him) does no-one any good. We really are doing the best we can, under the circumstances. We can not please everyone, and we accept that. I hope that you can, too.Thanks to those of you who understand and especially you guys who step up and defend we unpaid and overworked developers.

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Well I for one am prepared to wait for a FSX DC3, and I am sure it will be worth the wait. We could also show our support for the MAAM DC3 when it arrives by plugging it on the forums and letting everyone know how good it is. (it will be).

CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE - Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache - Gigabyte Z390 UD: ATX, LG1151 - 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz - NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE - 1TB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW) - CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES - CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 High Performance Liquid Cooler

Hi Bill and thanks for the lengthy update.Generally, folks do better when they know what's going on.From my military days I remember that periodic situational briefings to the troops helped morale and squished rumors...even if nothing much had changed.I had pretty much given up...Well, alright, guess I'll order the latest DC3/R4D/C47 version.And, await a report on the consolidated/updated BT.Regards :( Roy Marsh

Hi Bill and thanks for the lengthy update.Generally, folks do better when they know what's going on.From my military days I remember that periodic situational briefings to the troops helped morale and squished rumors...even if nothing much had changed.I had pretty much given up...Well, alright, guess I'll order the latest DC3/R4D/C47 version.And, await a report on the consolidated/updated BT.Regards :( Roy Marsh
Thanks, Roy. You are absolutely correct. I'll try to avoid treating you all like mushrooms in the future and keep the updates coming.

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

yea....keeping people informed is good....like, on a regular basis, coming home to my wife, and telling her how much i love her........goes a long way to help her tolerate my bo, bad breath, or scratchy wiskers etc.. :( ..or....i like it, when a dentist is working on me, and he describes why, and what he's doing, as he's doing it ....kinda comforting....thanks for the update and info.....who knows...maybe some one here has big bucks and would be willing to donate.......we all wish you the best...wish i could afford to really wish you the best....bonne chance...

Guest BigDBlue

Great looking plane. I will be adding this to my hanger also. Great job!

Hey all, My 1st post to a great topic!!! Years ago I flew alot of sim time durring the winter months and one of my airplanes was the 1st version of the MAAM C-47 and it was GREAT!!!!! NOW THIS MAY GET ME BACK ON THE COMPUTER!!!!!!! I had read the thread carefully and was dissapointed about some of the comments made and this is the reason why. Our family has owned our N3N since 1969. She took her 1st flight back to the air in 1976 after a very long restoration with many of MY diper changes along the way. Since then, for most of the summers she has graced the skies over vermont. I am totally BLOWN AWAY that the N3N was chosen PERIOD!!! He could have done the stearman and maybe a bit more interest would have been driven but for the fact of it is. WHAT A AIRPLANE WITH SO MUCH HISTORY!!!!Did you know that the N3N is the only airplane where the ENGINE and the AIRFRAME were manufactured in the same facility??? The navy bought the tooling and equipment to manufacture the R760-8. It may be a Wright design but the Naval Aircraft Factory made the engine for the N3N!! Did you also know that the N3N was the last biplane to serve in the US military???? The navy had 12 on floats at Annapolis MD until 1959!!!! Our beloved N3N was one of those airplanes!!n3n002.jpgIn the early 90's dad and I repainted the airplane from its WW2 paint scheme to what she wore at Annapolis in 1959. I am a member of the N3N owners and Restorers Assn and I have a site on the net where us owner keep in contact to help each other keep these wonderful and Historic airplanes!!!!! I will be MAAM's #1 salesman as I will promote this little unknown airplane to justify the time they have put into making this sim!!!! You guys just made our winters seem a bit shorter!!!!

WOW do I have so many questions.Since you are modeling the MAAM aircraft with the P&W engine, will you be making a bone stock N3N since you have made one with the Wright engine??? Reason I ask is that the throttle quadrant shown would be for the Pratt install. The Wright has a ground adjustable prop so their is no control for adjustment in flight. A bone stock N3N would also have a crash pad around the instruments. This was a big foam cushion that protected the student from the instrument panel. The MAAM aircraft does not have one installed to where most of the flyers out there do have them. Paint schemes: The one that is grey and yellow and blue is a freshly restored N3N but that paint scheme was only on the N2S. For accurate paint schemes, take a look as follows.For the stock 1940, right out of the factory.c10p1s.jpgNow later in 1943, training bands were added.60bc.jpgThe coast guard only aquired 3 N3N-s and as far as I know, none were ever on floats for the USCG but this one is a flying example that currently resides on floats.2582-N45042-1.jpgFor the N3N on floats at Annapolis in 1959, she would look like this.4490.jpgNow this being said, since you have the R985 all set to go, put some bigger tires on her as the 30x5's are not legal with the 450 hp, cover over the front cockpit and make a DUSTER VERSION!!!!! I think that would be fun to make duster passes online!!!!!!2623-N45283.jpg

A bit of history on the N3N. There were 3 versions made. The -1 was designed in 1938 and was plaigued with problems. The airframe had a horrible vibration problem that was caused by the engine and it also flew very tail heavy. Over 100 were built and only ONE exists today in a museum in Chile.n3n-10649.jpgThe NAF took a -1 airplane off the line and redesigned the tail to help fight the tail heaviness and changed the rudder design to help fight a problem the N3N had for not recovering from a spin and built only one -2 for testing. Here is a RARE pic of the -2navy-n3n-trainer-biplane.jpgBy raising the horizontal in relation to the lower wing, the tail heavyness was reduced but the vibration and spin issue still remained so the 1st -3 was Bureau # 175904693.jpgThe -3 was given the go ahead with production as the Navy finally was tired in dealing with the issues and corrected the Vibration problem by requiring that the RPM not be set where the vibration is pronounced. The spin problem was solved by completing spin training INVERTED!! The name "Yellow Peril" is meant for "Danger" as if up right the N3N will spin and go flat and the elevator cancelles out all effectiveness of the rudder in a spin so she will continue all the way to the ground. We have a old NAF training film that demonstrates the spin technique by rolling her on her back and inducing the spin while inverted.So when flying her......................Be careful boys!! She bites!!

To bring the sights and sounds of the wonderful N3N.............

Now we have no electrical system in our N, so we hand prop it. I would love to have the sim start for the Wright be by Inertia.......tho its not a N3N, it is a NAF built wright on a Waco, it may not look like a N but it SOUNDS like a N3N. This is how the N3N was started in its military career!