Sign in to follow this  
brucek

AC97 Audio

Is anyone using onboard AC97 audio, and if so, does it work OK with FS2004?Mine works OK except with ATC/ATIS which is extremely faint and barely audible.RegardsDave

Guest digtek

Did you try to turn the ATC volume up and everything else down?AC97 should be fine for med to high audio...

Guest flightpro08

I also use an AC'97 onboard sound system with my rig. While I don't use FS2k4's ATC system (I fly on VATSIM), I haven't had any problems with it.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)Help Fight Cancer! www.ud.comhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 44.03 Drivers)1GB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*-----------------------------Click Here to Download my American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

Guest drobson

I used to use it, but disabled it in favor of a SB Audigy card. I like to adjust the bass/treble settings, and found no way to do that with the AC97 card/software.Darrell

Thanks for the help.I've had all other sliders at 0, and ATC at 100% and still barely audible audio.This includes speakers at 100% as well. Audio out of Media Player is now faint also (MP8), before installation of FS9 I tried playing a wav file and it sounded OK.Dave

I have AC97 onboard and after considerable placebo-controlled, double blind randomized studies (uhhuh@!) I concluded upgrading to Audigy II @$69 was worth the expense. It gives me another 180mHz worth of CPU cycles as it turned out, which annecdotally is consistent with the different in FPS hit with AC97 vs Aud II. Average cpu utilization with AC97 using Audio Winbench = 4-8%, vs 0.05 - 0.4% with Audigy II. I have no probs with sound with either accelerator.Cheers!Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

The ATC/ATIS use different Audio codecs than normal sounds. They are:IMAADP32.ACMMSADP32.ACMMicrosoft PCM ConverterFor Win98/ME, you can view the codecs by pressing start, control panel, multimedia, devices tab, open Audio Compression Codecs, click on the various codecs. I would check to see that the IMAADP32 is set to "All rates" for Compression/Decompression. If the codecs are missing, open control panel, add/remove programs, Windows Setup tab, Multimedia, Details button, enable "Audio Compression", OK, and follow the instructions to load the codecs.For WinXP, you can view the codecs by opening Device Manager, opening Sound, video and game controllers, opening Audio Codecs, properties tab, and click on the varius codecs, see above. If the codecs are missing, insert your WinXP CD into the CD-drive and conduct a repair/reinstall to the codecs.As far as the AC97 sound chip is concerned, there are various vendors supplying the chip. You might research which vendor you have, visit their website and see if updated drivers are available.W. Sieffert

Guest daveg4otu

I've got AC97 here - no problems either with ATC or with online flying with Vatsim using either RogerWilco or Advanced Voice Client.Another homebuilt system.....AMD Athlon 2000XP (@133/133)ECS K7S5A Mobo 3.1 :04/29/02 Rev BiosSiS 735 Chipset Rev 12 x 256mb DDR RAMGeforce4 Ti-4200-8x 128mb DDR AGPAGP 1.16 WHQL . 4403 Detonator XP Drivers2 x Maxtor 40GB HDD (7200rpm)LG 8x4x32 BurnerLG 52xDirect X 9.0 final Windows ME/ Windows XP dual bootBIOS Settings- DRAM Timing Ultra. CAS Latency 3T,RAS ACtive 6T,RAS Precharge 3TL1 Cache Enabled.L2 Cache Enabled.Sys BIOS Cache Disabled.DRAM Drive Slew Rating - FastDave

Thanks for the tip. I checked and all codecs are there. I even did a total reformat etc. and have a fresh new XP/FS9 install - I have even noticed that the faint sounds are also evident wehen using media player on some FS audio files.I've never had any problems with FS like this before, it's really taken the edge off the experience. I may have to invest in a separate sound card again.David

Guest TangSooDo

I had the same problem. I had noticed that if I'd open the AC 97 configuration utility on the system tray and re-clicked on my speaker setup (dolby 5.1), the audio level would go back to normal. I've downloaded and installed the latest drivers and don't think I've had that problem since. My system, however, has re-developed the stutters, but my DXDIAG sound setting might need to be re-configured. If I can't get the stutters resolved I might go back to the old driver.Hope this helps.Dave

Hi David,I too have an on-board AC97 chip and have no trouble with FS9 and any of the sounds.I would try updating drivers, especially if you're loading drivers from a CD or if XP is doing this automatically for you. My mobo is an ABit, who's site has the latest drivers. But as one poster above said, go to the vendor's site (i.e., if a Dell computer, go to the Dell site).You might also check DM for any errors in hardware configuration, althoiugh if you've re-installed the OS then no doubt you have done that :)Finally- you may have to ensure that you don't have an IRQ conflict. I would also check DirectX (I assume you have DX9.0a at least, if you're running FS9). Good luck. If you've reinstalled the OS and it still is a problem, then it's most likely as issue with hardware confurations somewhere.Bruce.