Sign in to follow this  
Guest sfgiants13

Landing

Guest sfgiants13

My landings are getting pretty weird. I always approach like an ILS because my nose looks like im climbing, but im descending. It's like a 20 degree to stay even. What can I do to where I can get my aircraft even and not go down 100 feet per second? I know there's probably something I haven't figured out yet how to do in an aircraft.

Guest outtatimeiii

Try adding flaps or come in faster during approach. In an airliner, I usually hit the ILS at 150-175kts, and land at about 120-130kts, depending on the plane. I usually add more flaps when the nose goes above 5 degrees.

>do to where I can get my aircraft even and not go down 100>feet per second? 100 feet per second = 6000 ft/min = destroyed airplane and dead passengers on landing. :-zhelpMichael J.

Guest sfgiants13

When I add flaps, it just makes my nose go even higher so it looks like I'm almost a space shuttle when I'm at 30 flaps.

weird flaps should force the autopilot to lower the nose to avoid climbing due to the increased lift. Id say 10 degrees of nose up is ok if you want you can add speed, that helps lower the nose also. If you add too much speed with the flaps down youll start to get a nose down attitude. Id prefer to have 2-10 degrees nose up than 10 degrees nose down thats for sure........ :-)Andrew

Guest sfgiants13

Here's how it goes. At 10 degrees, I'm even, then as I go down the scale to 20,30,etc, my nose goes up and my speed drops. I know you're speed will drop though.

Guest sfgiants13

Yes, and I'm flying a B757-200. I think it does have autoland, but I never want to use it.

okay... if your approaching the runway on autopilot (APP engaged) and you dont want to perform an autoland, disengage the autopilot totally at 400 feet and fly manually from there.AndrewPS. what panel are you using?

Guest sfgiants13

The only time I use autopilot is when I'm cruising. I use a downloaded 757 panel.

Depends on the aircraft, and also your approach speed, and even your view settings.If you approach too slow, you'll have to maintain a higher and higher angle of attack to stay on the glideslope. You may want to pick an approach speed ten-twenty pct. faster, slowing down just before flare and touchdown. Also, it's possible that your default flight may have been saved with an unrealistic forward view--especially if you had played with shift/enter or shift/backspace before saving it. Look out to the side during your next approach. Does it still look like you're climbing at a 20 deg. angle? If not, your forward view may be messed up. In which case, I'd take one of the default flights and load it up, make your adjustments as far as aircraft and startup preferences, then save it as a new default flight.-JohnP.S. You mentioned a 3rd party panel in another response. If my above suggestions don't help, back up the panel.cfg, and remove all entries related to the view in it. Those may also change the landing perspective.

ok...so your landing manually right? when you approach your supposed to be descending at 500-900 fpm with the nose pitched up a bit. When your about to land the nose needs to stay up so you dont touch down nose first or all at the same time. You can leave the flaps fully down and increase speed a bit to try to reduce the pitch.Andrew

hi,you can press W once and thatll let you see the runway more easilly with the nose still pitched up.Andrew

Guest sfgiants13

Now, whenever I land, my back wheels end up going through the scenery and I look like a taildragger because my back wheels are through the ground. Is that a sign of a hard landing, or scenery?