Sign in to follow this  
Guest Airlnkr

I need help increasing Level of Detail!

Guest Airlnkr

Ok boys and girls I'm trying to figure out a big mystery...Seeing as I have a fairly good system for FSX: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GhzGigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard4 x 2GB Corsair DDR3 @1600BFG Nvidia GTX 285Corsair 750W PSWD 1TB HDCoolerMaster Hyper N620 PCU Cooler I'm trying to figure out how to increase the amount of detail and autogen i see in FSX, because i dont know if i can deal with this crap any longer... I would like to see as much as possible, and there has to be a way to fix/tweak this...If you watch this video you can see how much autogen is popping, well beyond 5 miles, and the crappy thing is i have the same addons as this guys video...

Now if you look at my pictures below with all my scenery sliders completely maxed out this is what I'm getting...2010-7-15_17-20-38-105.jpg2010-7-15_17-20-46-145.jpgI want autogen as far as the eye can see...anyone got a fix for this!Thanks!

Well have you checked out the FSX tweak guide?:http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041I see a problem with AF settings, which will be fixed with nHancer (from the guide)Other than that your system looks solid.Oh I should say the autogen popping is actually an FSX problem too... so you're not alone hehe....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Is that a photo scenery you are using in your pics? The textures dont look like GEX to me, especially the bottom pic, and photo sceneries usually dont have the same amount of autogen placed in them as GEX textures do. Your right though, your pics dont look right to me. When I am flying over areas covered by either GEX US or GEX Euro, I usually can see autogen a lot further out. Have you made any adjustment to your autogen in the FSX.cfg?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Also after re-reading your post you wrote that "all sliders are maxed"This is a big no-no in FSX. Your 3.8GHz won't allow it. Even the guys running the i7's @ 4.5 don't quite get every slider maxed.More specifically make sure bloom is off, water is set to 2xlow (2x medium gives you cloud reflections but more fps hit), vc self shadowing is off, and make sure the road traffic if using UTX is set no higher than 15%. If default AI traffic I'd leave it below 25%, and for airplanes set no higher than 60% if default or 50% if third party addons.That being said you SHOULD be able to run most everything else maxed. Once you run through the nHancer guide aka the simforums post I linked to, you should be much better off. It looks like you also have a lot of blurries - should be fixed by increasing your anisotropic filtering (AF) levels via nHancer (see the link)edit: just noticed your RAM - you should have either 6 or 12 GB, not 8 GB - the i7 's need triple channel RAM, like a 3x2 gb kit for 6GB total. That may be part of the problem as well...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Interesting question that could use some "illumination"...Autogen is actually a non-issue for me as I now spend 99% of my time above photoscenery without autogen - but I am curious...Someone with a high end system might also compare some autogen testing with my (default scenery) results...* I would have thought autogen might be subject to scenery range settings but the most remote objects I could zoom in on were unchanged between short range (2.5) and long range (4.5).* my autogen density IS a function of distance from aircraft but apparently NOT scenery "rings" but rather actual distance from aircraft.* the last visible autogen directly below me disappeared when I was at 40000' MSL.* my most remote viewable autogen is about 6+nm away ( which corresponds perhaps to the 40K' limit directly below)* This limit MIGHT be subject to some of the recent "*******" settings or system optimization.* How would FSX know what to do differently with "custom" autogen in aftermarket scenery or textures... a tweak or some "secret" discovered?* The LAX approach passes 5.8nm from downtown LA and I could just see a few trees amongst the buildings at closest approach.Does anyone get longer verifyable autogen range? Loyd

I didn't see if you were using FSX SP2/Accel or not, but in SP2 the Aces hard-coded a 14km max range for autogen. It's part of the batching process they created to manage performance. Having looked at the video, it seems as though it's not so much that his autogen goes to the horizon as that he's got a haze layer that blanks visibility just beyond that 14km range. That's pretty appropriate for LA, after all. :( You can set your LODs for greater sharpness farther out, but I don't think there's any way to bust that 14km autogen distance. It's probably better to lower the visibility so the issue isn't as apparent.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Definitely looks to me like you need some AF (set through nhancer). 8x or 16x would do it. Your distant scenery is very blurry, and AF will add some additional detail that helps to obscure the autogen pop-in.If you combine some AF with something like 20 miles visibility, the effect is pretty convincing.

Btw, if you're using the latest 2xx.xx series of Nvidia driver, Nhancer doesn't work yet, everyone's awaiting 2.6.0 that will work with it. You should know that since everyone's telling you to use nHancer here. I was able to get everything working using a program called Nvidia Inspector but you have to know the cryptic internal driver names for all the AA and AF modes etc and manually set them.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

It looks like you're lacking scenery sharpness.Try downloading the 257 driver and use NickN's 8xs profile. Use the guide to set up FSX.See if that helps.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Just a side note but possibly related - I recently changed my interface cable from VGA to HDMI on a 47" flat panel and the sharpness of FSX ground textures was way better.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png