Sign in to follow this  
rrostro

Colton Harris-Moore and Flight Sim

I have a theory about Colton and his ability to use a "Video Game" to learn to fly. First, they claim he is an intelligent guy but I conclude he is not because if he calls MSF a video game, then he is not intelligent. Second, If he used MSF then he probably used a version other than FSX since he never learned how to land properly. Even after stealing and landing numerous planes he still came down hard on his landing (according to news interviews from police interrogators). FSX is the real Flight Simulator to use for a VC cockpit since 2D Panels aren't very good for simulating realistic landing situations.I sit comfortably in my flame proof bunker awaiting further comment. :(

I don't know why you'd want to offer up this as theory...but why bring it up? Unless you're bored and wanting attention...Was hoping no one here would allude to MSFS being sensationalized in an already drawn out, unfortunate subject. IMHO it seems your comments are actually masking more of an "FSX is better than ____" attitude. The fact that a (any) flight simulator was used just kinda gives you a platform, doesn't it? Just an opinion: Leave it alone? And please consider that there are a lot more interesting and worthwhile things to debate on or "theorize"? No flames, man. Just a request. And as for the "hard landings"? They were luckily survived and it wouldn't matter what version of MSFS used or VC vs 2D. Why? Because for the record, MSFS is marketed as a simulation game, not a stand-alone simulator...doesn't make anyone "not intelligent" to think that way... :(

Well I think it would be hard to define MSFS 9 and X as a simulator, it's not approved by any governing authorities as far as I know......besides Russia, I know the Project tupolev is certified by russian aviation authorities...ESP could, but it has several differences which make it stand out and above FSXSo.....How is it not a Game? as far as I can tell it's a game representing a simulation, but is not an actual bonified simulator in itself.My copy of FSX also says "Games for Windows"........I don't think the classification of game vs simulator can be weighed in on intelligence remotely because it's not a factual distinction and each side has its merrits. .....Landing real airplanes is absolutely nothing like landing FS airplanes - it's weird, and an ultimate failure on the part of Microsoft. (as comes from the opinion of this pilot)I'm not sure whether the kid's intelligent or not, but he ran from the Authorities for something like over a year while committing quite a few high profile crimes and being well known - I'd say you probably need to be pretty intelligent to outsmart everyone, that our assume everybody's really stupid and go about life as usual, which might work I guess (Can't say, never tried). All of an opinion of course (The opinion that we can neither call him intelligent nor idiotic based on the information provided.He's done things which show intelligence, and he's done things that show idiocy, Like all humans.Infact he'd need to take a High profile well accepted test such as the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS) and have his results published publically before I'd care to make any judgements of intelligence.Then again some of the most intelligent do some of the most seemingly stupid things when it comes to socializing, like creating High IQ "Good ol' boys" clubs. Maybe the intelligence shown on paper is negligable to overall intelligence?What difference does his intelligence make?

I have a theory about Colton and his ability to use a "Video Game" to learn to fly. First, they claim he is an intelligent guy but I conclude he is not because if he calls MSF a video game, then he is not intelligent. Second, If he used MSF then he probably used a version other than FSX since he never learned how to land properly. Even after stealing and landing numerous planes he still came down hard on his landing (according to news interviews from police interrogators). FSX is the real Flight Simulator to use for a VC cockpit since 2D Panels aren't very good for simulating realistic landing situations.I sit comfortably in my flame proof bunker awaiting further comment. :(

I think I read once that he was practicing with some version of MSFS on a stolen laptop. I'm assuming he was flying with the mouse and keyboard, game controller or at best a joystick.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I don't know why you'd want to offer up this as theory...but why bring it up? Unless you're bored and wanting attention...Was hoping no one here would allude to MSFS being sensationalized in an already drawn out, unfortunate subject. IMHO it seems your comments are actually masking more of an "FSX is better than ____" attitude. The fact that a (any) flight simulator was used just kinda gives you a platform, doesn't it? Just an opinion: Leave it alone? And please consider that there are a lot more interesting and worthwhile things to debate on or "theorize"? No flames, man. Just a request. And as for the "hard landings"? They were luckily survived and it wouldn't matter what version of MSFS used or VC vs 2D. Why? Because for the record, MSFS is marketed as a simulation game, not a stand-alone simulator...doesn't make anyone "not intelligent" to think that way... :(
He told ya that he was awaiting the flaming responses .. :-((

I'm going to abstain from this argument except to point out that by definition simulators are games. Look up this term: Serious Game.

First, your conclusion is based on flawed assumptions on your part and actual comes across as an attempt to justify bashing the kid somehow.Second, this "FSX is the real Flight Simulator" is probably the dumbest statement I've ever heard uttered from anyone's keyboard regarding MSFS.Now, based on your post and it's actual topical value... I submit to the moderators that the actual purpose of your post is to troll.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Until I am allowed to gain credits for recency on my Instrument Rating using MSFS, sorry kid, it's a video game and always will be. And, sorry also, you wouldn't be able to land that 747 when the Flight Attendant asks that question that simmers often dream about: "is there a pilot on board?"It is a very useful video game, yes, but simulator, no.David

David Porrett

On my way to airport today I heard a typical news media hype story about if this "kid" could steal airplanes what happens when the terroists do so and the grave damage a Ga aircraft can do, and how hopelessly unsecure GA airports are. Never mind that a GA aircraft has never been used in a terrorist attack and the damage it could do would be minimal compared to other transportation vehicles that are more readily available and can do 10 fold the damage e.g. trucks, cars, and trains.So I would to thank this criminal for driving another coffin nail into Ga flying in return for many months of self indulgent fun at the expense of others. Thank you very much.One could point out to the media that the other single greatest terroist act on US soil was commited with a truck and fertilizer in Okc yet I have seen very little concern about fertilizer or trucks from the media. To my knowledge there has not been one act done with a GA aircraft although a misguided kid maybe in the same ilk as the Barefoot Bandit flew an small airplane into an office building in Tampa a few years ago-doing damage mostly to himself. Airplanes are certainly more glamorous than fertiizer or trucks so unfortunately the media will gravitate here even though there is no basis. Fertilizer and trucks even though hugely more powerful for damage potential than a Ga aircraft just are not that interesting or have the glamour factor to selling advertising-and that is what ultimately the news media cares about.This Barefoot Scum Bag was certainly conniving and showed a total lack of consideration for others -that does not equate to me as being smart and many of his decisions prove this. His mother may think otherwise-I hope her movie deals fall flat. This kind of mentality from the mother to the child does not deserve reward but dishonor and shame.As for the sim or game I have always maintained it is how you use it and your experience .When I used the sim from 1981 to 1989 it was a game as I had no idea of what I was doing and had no rw experience.After I got my ppl license in 1989 it has been a sim ever since and still is.Just depends on how you use it.

We can only hope that he has spent an equal amount of time playing with 'Licence Plate Pressing Simulator' (or would that be X-Plate?). It will doubtless make him the envy of everyone else in the prison workshop, as he demonstrates his amazing ability to churn out more license plates than anyone else, despite having no previous formal metalworking experience. :( Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Something tells me he is going to be very popular in prison. Hope he likes salad.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Something tells me he is going to be very popular in prison. Hope he likes salad.
Deserves it too. Here is what I understand from the news reports from interviews of people who knew him in school. He was a bully. He would take other kids backpacks and throw rocks at them. since he stood over 6 foot tall, few could or would challenge him. It really is easy to elude people in the Pacific Northwest. Anyone who has lived here knows how thick the brush can be and with the help he got from his buddies and probably from his family, he could run quite easily from the law. Yes I am slamming the kid because he was a creep and I slam those who worship him. I would like to find their houses and send a ninja /thief :( to rip off their car stereo or home and steal their computers and ipods. I would like to see Colton worshipers cry about that for a change. Oh, and have someone take their backpacks and throw rocks at them too. But then I started this thread on a less than serious note not to seek attention as one has suggested but to invoke a little levity. Sorry I failed to do that. Yes, my write skills need to be refreshed.BTW, He is going to get a lot more than salad when he's in prison. Hoping everyone loosens up a bit.

So,He's a bully and you'd think it's nice to be the person sending thiefs to steal his supporters car stereos, computers, and ipods?That almost seems counter-intuitive in my opinion.Regards,Ryan.

Deserves it too. Here is what I understand from the news reports from interviews of people who knew him in school. He was a bully. He would take other kids backpacks and throw rocks at them. since he stood over 6 foot tall, few could or would challenge him. It really is easy to elude people in the Pacific Northwest. Anyone who has lived here knows how thick the brush can be and with the help he got from his buddies and probably from his family, he could run quite easily from the law. Yes I am slamming the kid because he was a creep and I slam those who worship him. I would like to find their houses and send a ninja /thief :( to rip off their car stereo or home and steal their computers and ipods. I would like to see Colton worshipers cry about that for a change. Oh, and have someone take their backpacks and throw rocks at them too. But then I started this thread on a less than serious note not to seek attention as one has suggested but to invoke a little levity. Sorry I failed to do that. Yes, my write skills need to be refreshed.BTW, He is going to get a lot more than salad when he's in prison. Hoping everyone loosens up a bit.