Sign in to follow this  
Guest waltch

Dual boot-Windows 98---XP?

Can anyone who is dual booting these guys comment on the difference of performance in FS9?I have windows 98 now and am considering going to XP. Thanks,Todd

I have two computers dual booted, Win98SE/WinXP Pro and Win98SE/WinXP Home. In my personal experience, I would forget about dual booting. I found only one program, an engineering flightsim program that didn't want to work in WinXP. I didn't try to run it in the compatibility mode, so don't know that would have fixed the executing of the program. One day when I get fed up with the loss of a full partition were Win98SE resides or my teenagers download so awful virus I can't remove, I will redo the computers to use only WinXP.You may have some older peripherals that don't have drivers in WinXP. You will have to decide if they will be a stumbling block if you choose to only install WinXP.Otherwise, the dual-boot setup works well. I beta tested several software programs under each OS. In most cases, the WinXP side ran smoother even with its bigger overhead!W. Sieffert

Guest daveg4otu

ToddGot dual boot WinME/WinXP here with a copy of FS9 on each drive.Both copies run fine but the XP copy is always able to achieve framerates of 2 to 5 fps better than ME.Other than that no discernable difference.At the moment WinME is still my main OS but I don't think for too much longer.Like W Sieffert says - it's just a matter of time.But,while I'm set up this way ,it's nice to be able to compare the results.Dave

Guest tascaso

I have a dual boot box....WinXP on one 40gig HD and WinME on the second 40gig HD. WinME is garbage but it does support USB whereas Win98SE was pretty flakey with USB as I recall. Nevertheless Win98SE was pretty stout and stable. What a fiasco with the WinXP worm! Even after MS notified all and supplied the patch many did not head the warning. One of our local hospitals had to shut down their entire network due to the worm.Best of luck...dual booting works for me. You can have even more OS's and with the price of hard drives in the dirt its really not a problem.Tony

Hi,I also have a dual boot using WinME andd WinXP Home. I have given up on WinME. As far as performance goes, I find that XP is a better performer.Ed

Guest waltch

I have dual boot Win98SE and WinXP home edition, however, I have FS2004 not on both OS so far.I had FS2002 on both for quite some time and I always had the impression that the performance under WinXP was slightly better.I do not intend to put FS2004 on Win98 anymore because I like WinXP much more, however, I do intend to keep the dual boot system because in the last two years I was twice very glad when I had some problems with WinXP/hardware that I still could start the computer with Win98 and be able to look at all my particions and files from there.Walter