Sign in to follow this  
michal

Garmin GPS: FS9 vs. Reality XP

Guest oyvindhansen

Reality XP is better. It has way better display quality and uses the actual Garmin GPS simulator as its engine. It also has built-in radios to save panel space. The two default GPSes are actually almost the same, they both work like a 500.-Oyvind

Guest UweR

Hi, the FS9 GPS is a visual improvement over the FS2002 version, but the limited functions are essentially the same.If you plan or consider a purchase, why don

You've not tried to get to all the functions of the FS2004 GNS500 I guess.I can't recall the FS2002 version having a database of instrument approaches (and a means of plotting them), terrain data overlay, ATC boundary overlay, scrollable lists of airports, waypoints and navaids with all interesting data (frequencies, distance and heading to, runway length, elevation, etc).Display quality is fine too.Plus it has the FS2004 navdata (which is 08/02 I've heard) rather than the old navdata from the Garmin trainer that the RXP 530 uses (1995 I think it is, or maybe 1997).And last but not least it's fully 32 bit, which reduces the load on your computer a lot (and improves stability).

Guest oyvindhansen

>Display quality is fine too.Not nearly as good as RXP. Motion is jerky, and fonts in the map look fat.>>Plus it has the FS2004 navdata (which is 08/02 I've heard)>rather than the old navdata from the Garmin trainer that the>RXP 530 uses (1995 I think it is, or maybe 1997).>There is a new Garmin trainer out that has more recent navdata.- Oyvind

>You've not tried to get to all the functions of the FS2004>GNS500 I guess.>>I can't recall the FS2002 version having a database of>instrument approaches (and a means of plotting them), terrain>data overlay, ATC boundary overlay, scrollable lists of>airports, waypoints and navaids with all interesting data>(frequencies, distance and heading to, runway length,>elevation, etc).Yep you just mentioned the extra's the FS9 GPS has over the one in FS2002. Altough the FS9 one is considerably beter it still misses a lot off essential functions and it can't be compared to the Reality XP Garmin or the now free FSgarmin. Also the display quality stinks when you compare it to the crisp images on the FS and Reality XP Garmins.The biggest problem with the FS9 GPS that its coupled with the Fs9 flightplanning and you can only get a STAR into it when you delete your whole flightplan if you want a full Garmin GPS experience go for the Reality XP one and test it.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Guest JeanLuc_

Jeroen, thank you for giving me the opportunity to correct what is a plain wrong comment:There is simply no better simulation of the GNS530 than the Reality XP Flight Line 530XP because:- it is a complete 100% accurate simulation based on the Garmin Trainer Program thanks to an aggreement between Garmin and Reality XP- it has complete approaches / departures / waypoint / airport frequencies and information and many more thanks to the included Jeppesen database, which latest update is at least Sept 2002.- it has a complete airspace boundaries displayed on the screen and accessible from the database (note the the Flight Line Avionics Apollo ALSO HAS a complete airspace boundaries database)- the display quality can't be beat: it is the original GNS530 pixel resolution and display (resizable of course)- there is no terrain map display because it is simply not a Garmin feature. This is what differentiate a game GPS from a 100% accurate simulation of the real avionics.Also, if you have been fooled with the defunct fsgarmin, you should note that the Reality XP Flight Line 530XP has no comparision to the other garmin trainer based programs because:- it accurately differentiate TRK and HDG- it drives any default VOR/EHSI CDI (plus manages autocourse mode).- the driven CDI deviation is based on the actual flight phase (enroute / terminal / user preferences...)- it drives any default EFIS display with navigation information (next waypoint ICAO, distance ...)- it offers cross GPS functions with the Apollo- it offers an accurate to Garmin specs GPSS (autopilot / GPS link) in both HDG and NAV mode which takes in account cross wind component.- it "flies" DME ARCS, approaches... whatever the active route is (Direct TO, Flight plan...)- it has a full working TCAS system per the industry specifications (TCASII v6.x)- is the reference simulation for many proud Flight1 Meridian (5 stars at avsim and other reviews) customers and Reality XP customers.- is the sole GPS which exports it current active route to a file, or EFIS displays (such as the Reality XP Jet Line Avionics).Last but not least, the latest v1.2 of the Reality XP Flight Line 530XP now controls the Garmin Trainer background application in such a way that it only takes a couple CPU percent. 16bit or 32bit is no longer an issue for the Reality XP product, on the contrary: it runs better in FS2004 than any other GNS530 emulation or simulation available. Also note that v1.2 has a drastically recoded new display engine for an even increased performance compared to the previous version. This is also what differenciates Reality XP which keeps enhancing its solutions to protect its customers investments for nearly 1 year and a half with succesive upgrade enhancements, not upgrade patchs to solve bugs.Let me add as well that with a strong support from a user and developper community, and being the most widely used 100% accurate and commercialy available GNS530 simulation for FS, you post only conveys mis information and in my opinion is a disgrace to Reality XP customers:http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=4979http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=4962Best,Jean-Luc