Sign in to follow this  
Hornit

Planes Don't Look as Good in FS9?

Guest product

Is it just me, or do even really well done aircaft models (ie those from Carenado and Dreamfleet, for example) look too "bright" and washed out in spot view? Seems like they looked more metallic, and the details showed better in FS2002?Best,Joel

I've got a theory that this problem is related to general reflectivity in FS9. There seems to be some sort of global reflectivity property -- maybe it's DX9 or something -- that is just too reflective. The chrome, alpha channel shine on aircraft paint, the surface of water, it all is a little overdone. One interesting exception is the glass in many aircraft, on which the reflections seem to be all but gone, giving the look that there isn't any glass there at all. It's probably hard-wired into the sim, but if someone could figure out how to turn down all reflectivity a notch I think the whole sim would look better. That said, I absolutely love the new skies, ground textures and weather. I guess we've gotta leave something for them to do in FS10.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Good point Bill. While I think the sim is brighter and a bit less gloomy than FS2002, the chrome is a bit too bright, I have played with alpha channels and it is almost like it is more sensitive to the gray, if you tone it down it looks fine. I think the aircraft look more realistic in FS9, just too bright! LOLRegards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest odog

You are trying to base a decision about the sim with 2 year old add ons...I got the over on when your first positive post will show up :-rollof course the environment has changed and planes DESIGNED FOR 2k4 will take advantage of the IMPROVEMENT.Im getting better windows and chrome than I ever got with 2k2. It is a big step up, just wait for the new models to filter out, or go adjust the alpha yourself.wowjoe

Guest Max Cowgill

>You are trying to base a decision about the sim with 2 year>old add ons...>>I got the over on when your first positive post will show up>:-roll>>of course the environment has changed and planes DESIGNED FOR>2k4 will take advantage of the IMPROVEMENT.>>Im getting better windows and chrome than I ever got with 2k2.>It is a big step up, just wait for the new models to filter>out, or go adjust the alpha yourself.>>wow>>joeNegativity only breeds more negativity. -Max Cowgill

Im finding that you have to tone down the alpha a bit but for baremetal you need to also darken the underlying textures. This is at least true of any older add-on aircraft I have brought over from 2k2. The only problem is sometimes that means you are going to HAVE TO HAVE reflections on or it wont look like metal without it. At least in 2002 you could ahve very convincing metal without reflections. Now with the way this sim does it that may not be the case.Hornit