Sign in to follow this  
Capt Lalle

Highmemfix=1 only for Win7? White Screen with XP 64bit

Does Bojotes HIGHMEMFIX=1 entry only works with Win7?Yesterday I made a flight from EGLL to KJFK with PMDG's 747 and after switching some times between fullscreen and windowed mode, clouds were displayed in blocks, some textures disappear and later on screen went white.FSX still runs in the background so it's the same behaviour like in Win7 with the only difference that the screen is white instead of black with XP 64 bit.

Does Bojotes HIGHMEMFIX=1 entry only works with Win7?Yesterday I made a flight from EGLL to KJFK with PMDG's 747 and after switching some times between fullscreen and windowed mode, clouds were displayed in blocks, some textures disappear and later on screen went white.FSX still runs in the background so it's the same behaviour like in Win7 with the only difference that the screen is white instead of black with XP 64 bit.
There is no fix for the Cream Screen of Death in XP x64 when running FSX. This can happen with any aircraft when switching from full screen to windowed mode. If you want to eliminate the possibility of the CSOD upgrade to Win7 x64. I've never regreted upgrading from Xp x64 to Win7 x64 for FSX.

HIGHMEMFIX is an FSX engine parameter, it has nothing to do with what OS you're using. That "cream screen of death" issue is not something HIGHMEMFIX fixes anyway, it's only for model corruption where you see a skeleton of the plane even though the sim is running fine.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hello!I have this behavior too in the pmdg 747 in win 7 64 bits with the config in my signature. Whitening, disaperaing textures after some minutes, etc ... So i don

Flavio Cardoso - P3Dv4.5 HF3

Win 10 Pro 64Bits - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H150i Platinum - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER SC - MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics

Thanks for your answers.I downgraded from Win7 64 bit to XP 64 bit before Bojote released his Highmemfix tweak, so I think I have to install Win 7 again for testing, however I'm a bit surprised that Flavio got the same problems under Win 7. :(

On my system using XP64, highmem degrades performance and haven't found its actually necessary unless on Vista or Win7.I've seen the cream screen since using the 200 drivers from Nvida. Best bet is to use the windows key to minimise FSX and to restore FSX click on the taskbar FSX icon and then press enter. Vastly reduces the risk of it appearing.I have a dual boot system and have tested both. There is very little between them if you set it up as per Nick's guide, but I found that Win7 is just more micro stuttery with greater FPS flucuations, but seems to handle larger textures slightly better.I'm guessing that people seeing an improvement with Win7 just benefited from a clean install.Neither is perfect, but thats because of FSX more than the operating system. In my humble opinion, I still think XP64 is the overall best bet.Best wishesSteve

Stephen Munn

Guest firehawk44
HIGHMEMFIX is an FSX engine parameter, it has nothing to do with what OS you're using. That "cream screen of death" issue is not something HIGHMEMFIX fixes anyway, it's only for model corruption where you see a skeleton of the plane even though the sim is running fine.
Does removing the HighMemFix line in the FSX.cfg fix the problem? I suspect not. I agree with Ryan above. To me it sounds like a video card issue or an overclocking issue. Try completely uninstalling your display drivers and then run a free registry cleaner, then reinstall. I suggest you install a driver that worked in the past and not the current display driver. I had video display issues with the latest Nvidia display drivers and had to roll back to an earlier version. If that doesn't fix the issue and if your system is overclocked, try reducing the settings or bring them back to the default and see if that works. Lastly, a lot of display problems with FSX are fixed by renaming the fsx.cfg to fsx.old, restarting FSX and letting the fsx.cfg rebuild.Best regards,Jim