Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lobaeux4

FS2004: running out of memory!

Guest guex

Hi Gents,After about 5 minutes of flight with FS2004, my system runs out of memory. Monitoring the amount of memory allocated, with the task manager, I can see the number of Mb increasing continuously.My specs: Dell Dimension 8300, P4 3.06 GHz, XP Pro, 2048 Mb RAM (yes, 2Gb!!)I have quite all sliders maxed out, and the amount of RAM used starts at about 820Mb and never stops increasing during the flight...This does not happens with FS2002 wich use constantly about 580Mb.What is here wrong?Can somebody put some light in my darkness?Any help will be highly appreciated

Jean-Claude,You need to adjust the size of your page file which is probably set too small thus causing the messages.Start / Control Panel / System. Advanced tab, Performance ... Settings... Advanced tab... Virtual memory. If the value shown is less than 700Mb then increase it by choosing the Change button and making these changes: -Ensuring the C Drive is highlighted choose Custom Size and enter 1000 in both the Initial Size and Maximum Size fields. OK all the way out and reboot when prompted.That should put your memory issues at an end. I know it seems strange to have to use a page file when you have 2Gb of memory but one day Windows will manage memory properly.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yeap,Here I have 1gb of RAM and I set the virtual memory to 2gb (both initial and maximum). I have 2 HD's and the second HD has 2 partitions, I use the second partition (drive E, size 2.5gb) only for the virtual memory, to avoid defrag and improve performance.I hope this helps,Ulisses

Hi Jean-Claude,I noticed the same thing with the following specs: Athlon XP 3000+, Asus A7N8X, 1024MB RAM, XP Pro. The page file is sytem managed and set to around 1500MB. Just like you, I have no problem with FS2002 - memory usage is somewhere around 600MB. I'll try re-setting the page file, and see, if that fixes anything, but as it doesn't occur with any other programs, it seems likely that something in FS is causing this.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest guex

Thank You Guys,My swap area on C: is already set to 3000.I localized the problem.It seems to be the Landclass BGL's.As I switch all Landclass off, the memory allocation remain constant.As soon as I turn on one Landclass and fly over this area, the memory allocation rises to infinite, 1Mb each second, even if the sim is paused...I have already mailed to Burkhard Renk about this.Thanx again for your answer.

Guest Lobaeux4

I get the same thing, but I don't have any landclass bgl's installed. I'm going to do a complete reinstall of FS9 to see if this helps, maybe something was messed up. Talk about a frustrating time!!!

Guest Jack172

Any updates on the memory issue?I've noticed the same, when using addon scenery my memory usage grows to the point my system crawls, even after FS is shutdown. TaskManager showed 1.2GB of page file usage.I unchecked the scenery I added and the problem seemed to go.Do LOD 9 meshes take that much memory?

Guest clasamilasa

Did you install the landclass bgl file into the Addon Scenery Folder? If so, move it from there to the FS9/Scenery/Base folder.It is a known problem with how FS9 handles landclass files.Regards,Michael