Sign in to follow this  

GPS-STUTTERING CULPRIT!

For those with the stutters. Load a quick flight and just do banked turns. Turn for awhile and see if it smooth. Then turn on the GPS and then turn it back off! When I do this it introduces stutters everytime even after the GPS window has been closed! They don't go away either. Can't figure this out. I guess once the window is opened it takes processing cycles even after it is closed.Todd

Yes- the GPS is introducing some major stutters. Even after the window has been closed. I tried it on various planes and everytime it's smooth as silk until the GPS window is opened and then even closed. I tried one banked turn for around 2 minutes. Very smooth. Opened up the GPS and then closed. Stutters big time. What is up?Todd

I bet it's just the extra cpu draw.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Thanks for that tip, I'll check it out. One thing I have noticed, when flying is that when the mouse pointer is on the screen, it is a major hit, I did some experiments and sure enough, I lost about 4-6 FPS with it not under the task bar and on screen, anyone else notice this?Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

A small tip to try for the GPS. Hit clr twice to get rid of ATC terminal outlines and waypoints and keep the GPS at 20 miles. It helps a little bit.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Well, just to be different :-)I was flying the Cub in 4 oktas of cumulus at 6,000 feet last night but didn't get any screen stuttering. What I did get, though, was some very stuttery sounds when in the most dense cloud sections with the GPS on, but as soon as I turned the GPS off the sound returned to normal.I have sound acceleration turned off in DirectX and I run a 2.6 Mhz P4 with a 64 mb GeForce 4 card.David

Guest JonP01

I was experimenting with the GPS tonight. I have obsevered the behaviour where the performance drops even after it is removed from the screen. Oddly enough, I found that if I turned on the terrain display whilst the GPS was *on* the screen, then the performance went back to normal after it was removed.

What the hell is a stutter? =)/Erik (non-native-english-speaking... swede actually)

IIIIIIII DON_____TTTTTTTTTTTTT kNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. :) Just kidding. It's momentary lapses of fluidity in game performance. Almost like a snag where everything fails to draw smoothly for a given amount of time leading to ulcers and hair loss. :) This is the Websters definition by the way. :) Their is something to this GPS thing though. I am running an xp1600 processor and 512mb of ram on 98se. I would be curious to see if people with faster processors and more ram experience this! It seems like a bug to me. Their has to be a way to disengage the GPS once the window is closed.Todd

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Todd,it is not a bug as is, it is a feature of the gauge SDK, i.e. calling the gauge update code, even if not visible, 18 times a second. But in the case of this XML GPS, it is too much computations competing with the sim computatiions when settings are at the edge of your system capabilities.Hope this helps!

Ok :)I have plenty of stutter *l*why can't anyone build a computer that can handle all of today's games smoothly?

I agree. I don't believe that my processor is up to snuff. I wonder though if people with the really fast processors are experiencing this. It seems to me there should be a way to cancle that sdk call of 18 times per second once the window is closed. I understand this will be more demanding once the window is re-opened, but that is a small price to pay for stutter free performance. Yes, I did some more tests this morning and this is the stutter creator for me. I went flying in the Mooney around Seattle for around 30 minutes stutter free. I then turned on the GPS and whammmm-stutters. As stated before, these continued once the window was closed. I am just glad that I've isolated the problem, because before I couldn't figure out why sometimes the sim was smooth and at others herky jerky. I thought it was related to settings- not the gps.Toddxp1600radeon 8500le512mb ram

it's just badly programmed, that's my guess. programming microsoft-style, trying to get as much features in for as low development costs as possible... make more money that way ya know.me: xp2200+, gf4ti4600, 1gb pc2700 ram blabla/Erik

Well sorry guys but I don't notice this 'after stutter'.I am currently flying above Sion, on my FS PC while reading the forums, to check out the mist 'problem' mentioned in another thread and decided to to see what the GPS did.Like everyone else with GPS on I get lower frame rates and stutters in turns, however when I switch off the GPS frame rates return to normal and no stutters in turns immediately after closing the GPS.Although I only tried it twice, not really a full test.XP1800GF3 Ti200 64MBWinXP1280x960x32 full screen.

am running a Pentiym 4, 2.53 gigs, gforce4 T1 4600, 128 megsjust flew around Chicago without GPS and again with GPS on and offquite a few times, about for 1/2 hour and had no stutters. The frame rate stayed between 24.9 and 23.5 (set at 25)different set ups and hardware may have something to do with it or I was just lucky.FredB