I've been using ActiveSky 6.x for years with FS9. Recently, I upgraded my computer and can now run FSX effectively. Because I've only been focused on FS9 and have been satisfied with AS6.x, I haven't paid much attention to the developments at HiFi Simulations. So, when I did arrive to see what the latest weather engine they had to offer for FSX, I was confused to see two product: Active Sky X and Active Sky: Evolution. My basic question is: which one should I buy? I will still fly FS9. So, ASE seems to have more appeal. But I'm confused as to why ActiveSky offers ASX at all? Also, given the fact that ActiveSky is focused on being a weather engine, what is the best texture package to go with which ever ActiveSky product I decide to buy? REX? FEX? I'm curious about people's experiences and thoughts.Bob

Hi,I'll let others voice their views first!

At present I am using FEX, mostly because I bought it when it was the only game in town. If I was going to purchase now, I would look closely at REX. Those who know says it has many functions that FEX does not. But use an Active Sky product for the wx engine--simply the best, IMHO. Through the years I have used the various Hifi wx engines and all their permutations. AS6.5 was great, but there have been numerous improvements along the way, not least of which is the GUI. I do a lot of my flights using on-line wx, being able to use historical on-line wx in ASE is one of its best features for me.

I've seen the comparison table. I guess my question is "why would anybody choose ASX over ASE?" Also, how does ASE integrate with any of the add on texture programs such as FEX or REX, or is there any integration at all? One of the things I don't particularly like about AS6 and Flight Envionment is that I have to manually update the graphic environment. I like the integrated ASG solution although I think the textures are weaker. I was hoping that a such a trade-off would not exist in FSX.Bob

Hi,ASX was developed when FSX was being tested and released. Then ASX was released as our first weather program for FSX. ASA/ASE were then developed for FS9/FSX as dual platform weather programs.One might chose ASX over ASE if they know they are going to exclusively fly FSX and want a bit of a simpler weather program.For textures ASE will directly integrate with our X Graphics program. If you are going to use other texture programs then you can use the Snapshot feature of ASE to put textures together.

Jim,As you know I am a long time ASX user and we went through a lot of heartache getting it to work. I have observed your new products come on line and have seen the similar teething problems as we experienced with ASX. For me ASX provides the one thing I want, a reliable weather engine. It still has its quirks, but I've used it long enough to get around and accept them. The problems experienced by the your new products seem similar to those experienced with ASX. One of the many compromises is the TCUs which are in the FL400-FL500 in the KDFW region, but they are stopped at FL250.I am not opposed to ASE or any future products that you might have, but I would like to know the advantages of the other weather engines.Bill

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Hi,Best to visit the comparison chart:http://www2.hifisim.com/node/28Please remember that FSX is FSX no matter what and the bugs that are present are present no matter what. It is our task to work around and through those bugs.

JimI see that ASE is a free upgrade for users with ASA. Can I get any kind of a deal if I am usung ASX?Thank youMichael Cubine

Hi,Pretty sure I answered this for you in another place, but if not, no there is no discount from ASX to ASE and we just ended a sale on all out products about a week ago.

Hi,Best to visit the comparison chart:http://www2.hifisim.com/node/28Please remember that FSX is FSX no matter what and the bugs that are present are present no matter what. It is our task to work around and through those bugs.
Jim,I have seen that comparison before. Is ASE any smoother than ASX with registered FSUIPC? What differences would I see in the weather engine between ASX and ASE? Would I continue to use FSUIPC with ASX for weather smoothing?Bill

Hi Bill,I dis-like these types of posts because what I experience and expect might be different than you. But I will make a short post. For me ASX was smooth when I used it and now ASE is smooth. You might see richer, more realistic weather.Both ASX and ASE use SimConnect and neither one uses FSUIPC for weather smoothing.Tell ya what, purchase ASE and install it and then use it for 21 days. Keep ASX installed. If after those 21 days you are not happy with ASE, just let me know and I'll refund your ASE purchase. ASX will still be there for you, so you'll be out nothing.

BTW, I have bought ASE and am very happy with it. I bought it because it worked with FS9 and FSX but beyond that I was very skeptical that you could really improve the weather engine. Don't I feel foolish now! I'm amazed at how much improved ASE is over AS6.5! I'm not talking about the bells and whistles of the user interface but the weather generation in the Flight Simulator. I'll give FSX some credit for this, but overall, I'm amazed at how realistic the weather generation is. When I bought AS6, it transformed my flying experience. It added a sense of realism that I didn't think was possible before. Now, ASE does it again to the FSX flying experience. Great job, guys.Bob

Hi Bill,I dis-like these types of posts because what I experience and expect might be different than you. But I will make a short post. For me ASX was smooth when I used it and now ASE is smooth. You might see richer, more realistic weather.Both ASX and ASE use SimConnect and neither one uses FSUIPC for weather smoothing.Tell ya what, purchase ASE and install it and then use it for 21 days. Keep ASX installed. If after those 21 days you are not happy with ASE, just let me know and I'll refund your ASE purchase. ASX will still be there for you, so you'll be out nothing.
Jim,I've been on the road so I'm slow to respond. Before I take you up on your offer I have a couple of techinical questions. I am using ASX through simconnect. Will ASE use the same connections without any modifications? The second question concerns FSUIPC. I am using the registered version with ASX. Will I need to use the registered FSUIPC with ASE?Thanks,Bill