Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bob I

Virtual memory leak - due to Landclass FS2004 scenery in FS2002?

Hi folks,I'm struggling a little here. I've had several attempts at a cross country flight terminate when FS2004 exhausted my system's virtual memory. It took a while - 30 minutes for one flight, nearly an hour for the re-run.When I look more closely with XP's performance monitor, what I find is that the FS9.exe process was chewing up more and more virtual memory the longer it ran. Around the 20Mb per minute mark. I stopped the next attempt as FS9 grew past 1.2Gb of virtual memory. When I looked even more closely, I discovered that this was only when I was flying with "landclass" scenery imported from FS2002. I discovered this by trial and error - turning off all my addon scenery, flying the default C172, and turning things on one at a time until the problem recurred.Interestingly, as soon as I headed off shore and left the landclass scenery behind, the virtual memory stopped growing. Came back to land and it resumed growing.Just to check that it wasn't the specific Landclass scenery I was using, I tried heading over to the Seattle area and using the Pacific Northwest landclass scenery. That did the same thing.I know other people are using Landclass scenery from FS2002. Is anybody else seeing this "memory leak" effect? (I'm sure there are other factors at work here, but I'm struggling with what to try next.)My system is a little low powered, but otherwise fairly normal: P-III/733, 512Mb RAM, 64Mb Geforce2 MX400, Windows XP ProNick.

Guest PaulL01

Nick,Have you made any changes to the FS9.cfg file in the area of extended_texture_radius, Levels=x etc.?It was reported by JohnC (orCi?) that when he raised the settings manualy in the config the result he saw on his machine was that it leaked as well so I wonder if there might be a connection.

Guest DaveKDEN

I had performance issues after installing landclass files into FS2004. After removing them, everything runs as well as FS2002.Dave

No one else will be able to reproduce these "problems" with landclass if we do not have links to those files, where they were installed, and what changes were made to the sim ( as Paul points out ).We went through a "problem" with excludes a few weeks ago, only to find there actually was no problem... so it is really helpful to list all the info when making these statements to avoid busy people chasing the wild geese too long.Dick

I have the same problem with FS Genesis' Beta landclass (available at http://portal.fsgenesis.net/).I have a short test flight from KTIW to KSEA. With landclass installed, FS9 will start to stutter badly a few minutes into the flight. On approach to KSEA, this gets unbearable. When exiting the sim, there is clearly a memeory issue because it takes several moments before things get cleared out and running smoothly again.Uncheck the landclass, and no stutters. No problems.I've reported this on the FS Genesis board but it didn't seem to be a problem for anyone else (and since it was a freeware beta I wasn't really expecting support).It's interesting to hear that someone else is having the same problem. I'd love to have landclass installed, and I would purchase the payware version of the FS Genesis stuff if I knew it didn't have this problem.I wonder if any of the people who are complaining of stutter issues have some sort of landclass update installed? I wonder if FS2004 does something different with the landclass that makes it somehow not optimized for the FS2002 landclass stuff?

Guest guex

Hi Nick,I wrote yesterday about that on this forum (look for "out of memory").I suffer exactly the same problem with the memory allocation getting higher and higher (I have 2 Gigs) and then all my virtual memory (3 Gigs).It happens with every Landclass, independently where they come from and who made it.As soon as you are in an area covered by an active landclass file, you get the problem, even if the sim is paused and you stay on the tarmac, engines off...If you use the function "World-->GoTo Airport" and jump to another place covered by the same or another landclass file, the amount of memory eaten will double, the memory amount of the two locations are added!I wrote an E-mail to Burkhard Renk (the father of Landclass) about it this morning.I love Landclass, wait and see,...

I have used the gsgenesis beta landclass installation previously. Is the beta bgl called " fsglc_us.bgl "?Not sure if any particular version is a problem.My file size is 2.06mb with a file date of 12/13/2002. Not sure if the date would be valid.Thanks. I will watch my VMBobG

Hi Jean-Claude.Is this affected by the presence, or lack, of the virtual cockpit, or the gauges? Is this with and without using the no-cd crack?I can't force this memory loss on my system, yet.Dick

The scenery that I was running when I encountered the problem was Ian Thatcher's landclass for Victoria: lcvic2.zip. It can be obtained from may places, including Avsim at http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=17075. My flight was from Moorabbin airport to Wilsons Promontory, heading for Flinders Island.The scenery I used as a cross-check was Pacific North West (USA)landclass: pnwlandclass.zip by Neil Hill. I got it from Avsim at http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=14641.I'm quite sure there's nothing wrong with either of these scenery files. I've been flying Ian Thatcher's scenery for some time in FS2002.All suggestions welcomed.Nick.ps. I installed them in their own folders and added them as distinct scenery areas. I was afraid that if I put them in the base scenery area I might never find the files again! I guess that's another variable I could try though. Thanks for the thought rhumbaflappy.

I haven't made any changes in those areas, but I have tweaked a few other settings (no brake message, VC pan rate, that sort of thing.)If all else fails, I might try getting back to an unmodified FS9.cfg file. Thanks for the suggestion.Nick.

Personally, I didn't notice any unusual stuttering - even when the virtual memory usage got above 1Gb. But I guess I would have eventually, especially if my disk had been at all fragmented.Beyond that I'm not sure I understand enough to guess at the nature of the problem. It's got *something* to do with adding landclass files that worked fine in the older sim, but how direct that link is I don't know yet.Nick.

Hi Jean-ClaudeI saw that thread, but before you had got to the point where you knew it was Landclass BGL's. It sounds like we have exactly the same thing going on. That's very reassuring. I hate it when I'm the only one with a problem!Be sure to post any further news - I'll be watching.It would be interesting to positively confirm that there are people who are *not* seeing this runaway memory growth, then we could start looking to see what you and I have in common that the lucky ones do not.Nick.

Guest SlimDady

I dont notice that problem at all. I hardly fly over 1hr though.. but ill give it a try tonight.. see whats up..I would think a memory link would have been found in beta testing