Sign in to follow this  
Guest jrewing

huge question

Now I know this doesn't have to do with fs2002 but i have a big question. I have cancer... and im 17.. ill be done and cured for my cancer in aug, now i don't graduate till next year.. but is it true.. that just because you had cancer in the past means that you can't become a pilot? im hoping this isn't true... because me being a pilot is something I really want to do. I thought I would ask you guys because a lot of you guys have ur license and might know the answer to my question. I don't think they should stop somebody from being a pilot because of a PAST illness. Chris

Hi Chris!We are in similar situations.I have a brain tumor since I was 13 (now I am 19!) This tumor has prevented me from growing since I was 13 so now I look like a 13 year old. I wanted to become a pilot since I was 6 years old. At 18 I started taking flying lessons and applied to University for a Diploma in Aviation. During my medical exam (Class 1) the doctors discovered the tumor (6 years after I got it!! unbelivable!) and immediately started treating it with medication since it is small. Transport Canada immediately said, and I quote "NO WAY". They told me that as long as I have the tumor I cannot get a medical and as long as I take the medication they cannot give me a medical. I have to take the medication for the rest of my life so I will never get a medical. Now I am stuck becasue I have no idea what I want to do with my life. Now that you listened to my sad life story here is what I wanted to say at the beginning.If you will be cured then go to the Aviation Medical Doctor and do the exam. If the cancer is gone and you do not take medication then you will probably get the medical. It aslo depends what type of medication you take if you take any. If it's in the past then I don't see a problem.My advice is go and take the medical exam after you are cured.Unfortunately I will never become a pilot and all that I will have is 4 hours in a C-152. I wish you all the luck in the world and I hope that you do get a medical.Since we are in similar situations I know how hard this is for you so if you want to talk or ask questions you can e-mail me at mikk_g@shaw.ca Take careMike

I'am very sorry about what happen, i will be cured in August and won't be able to start any kind of lessons till im done with school in 2003

Then I suppose that there will be no problems. What they are worried about is what can affect you during flying like drowziness from medication etc. If you take any medication and the side-effects are not bad then you should be OK.Take careMike

This is not really the place to ask. It is dependent on the type of cancer, the results of your present treatment and any furrther treatements. Go to one of the aviation websites such as www.landings.com and find the database for avaition medical examiners. Locate one in your area, make an appointment and find out what your options are. It is best to find an AME who is also a pilot (many aren't).Good luck with your dreams.Bob

Guest Lizardo

Well, or soon, the FAA has a new "recreational" license, for small planes; all you'll need for that is enough "medical" to drive a car.(www.aopa.org for more info)

Guest jrewing

I think you're referring to the proposed Sport Pilot Certificate, which has substantial limitations on the type and weight of aircraft the certificate holder can fly. In the U.S., the Recreational Pilot Certificate already exists and requires an FAA 3rd class medical. The Sport Pilot certificate, as proposed, does not require the holder to have an FAA medical, but it is still making its way through the federal rulemaking process and is not a reality, yet.John

Guest Lizardo

(my mistake, it is "sport pilot"). But it includes Piper J-2+3, Aeronca Champ, and some Taylorcrafts..aircraft under 1,232 lbs max gross.

So does that mean that I can be airline pilot sometime in the future.. i read the medical... guidelines.. for pilots.. and everything consisted of heart failure, seizures, and bad eye sight, did not see anything about cancer in the past be a disqualification.

Guest Lizardo

You'd have to wait and see for that, commercial pilots are held to a higher standard. But certainly don't give up hope of flying or aviation. :-)

Guest jrewing

I'm not an AME, so I can't really answer your question. But my *understanding* is that some types of cancer are not considered disqualifying by the FAA if you are not currently taking chemotherapy or any excluded medication.Even when you have a disqualifying condition, it is sometimes possible to get an exemption from the FAA through an appeal process. I don't know the details on this process, but I know it exists and can be quite time-consuming to pursue.One way to find out would be to contact AOPA. They have extensive information on medical conditions that may or may not be allowed by the FAA as well as a database of medications allowed by the FAA. You may have to be a member to get access to their medical FAQ or to ask them directly. Check out www.aopa.org.Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery!John