Sign in to follow this  
brynjames

PMDG J41 advantages over Flight1 ATR?

I already have the Flight1 ATR on FS9, but I haven't yet installed the FSX upgrade.I only need one turboprop in my FSX hangar (life is too short!). I know the PMDG J41 turboprop is a much newer product, FSX native, but does it have any significant advantages over the ATR as an FS product?Both are quality products, so I would be not unhappy to stick with the ATR. --Bryn

I already have the Flight1 ATR on FS9, but I haven't yet installed the FSX upgrade.I only need one turboprop in my FSX hangar (life is too short!). I know the PMDG J41 turboprop is a much newer product, FSX native, but does it have any significant advantages over the ATR as an FS product?Both are quality products, so I would be not unhappy to stick with the ATR. --Bryn
I too have the Flight1 ATR72-500 on FS9 and purchased the PMDG J41 for the FSX and of the two,I reckon the J41 is by far a better product.Typical PMDG attention to detail,but like all PMDG products needs the relevant manuals being read

The main thing is - the ATR is a portover - which means worse FPS than a non-port...The ATR was great in its day but the J41 is something you'll want to have, assuming you have a decent PC...Systems wise I think they most have realistic systems and FMS's etc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

PMDG J41 is a native model for FSX as you say, and being a later product has pushed things on a bit in terms of what we expect from FSX, but the Flight 1 ATR was a long way ahead of the curve when it came out, so as you know, it is still one of the best FS add-ons there is, in spite of being an older creation. It's worth remembering that the real ATR company was involved in the production of the Flight 1 ATR and they do actually hand out copies of the Flight 1 ATR to customers as a promotional item, so it's no slouch in the realism stakes.Beyond the obvious and many advantages of having a more modern rendition of an aircraft in the PMDG Jetstream, what may possibly swing the decision is the routes and usage of the J41. Although the J41 is a reasonably popular lease for a few airlines, it is in no way as ubiquitous as the ATR, so if you like a large variety of liveries and real world route schedules in FS, then the ATR offers more scope. The J41 is also more typically flown on smaller sectors than the ATR-72, which could be a good or bad thing depending on what kind of flying you like to do. If on the other hand you are happy to fly where you want and disregard the real routes J41s fly, then you might pick the J41 for its very accomplished cockpit rendition and generally more modern usage of what FSX can do with a native model, because there is no denying that the J41 pushes things on a bit further than the ATR in that respect.Personally, I have stuck with the ATR, but that's largely for no other reason than I think the ATR is quite a pretty aircraft. So that decision is more about what I like than what would be the better choice if we could only pick one of them. If you had neither, then the J41 would probably be the way to go.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

For me the J41 is a very intimidating aircraft. I have never had flying lessons, but have the PMDG 747, Real Air B60, Digital Aviation PA31T Cheyenne and fly them. I think this is the most challenging of them. It takes allot of study. I have a 2 inch binder and a 1 inch binder that are the manuals. If you want realism and the corresponding challenge then this is the best FSX aircraft to have. You will not just start flying it as soon as you get it. I think it is worth the work necessary to learn to fly this aircraft.Lynn

Not to long ago I was in the same position myself, so I decided to try the ATR patch to FSX.I can say that once I had the ATR in FSX I was really disappointed with the FPS of the ATR and the VC looked so dated that I couldn't believe that 4 years ago I actaully though the VC looked good. After testing the ATR in FSX for about an hour I couldn't take the low FPS and dated VC, so I promptly uninstalled it from FSX and proceded to buy the J41.On my system the J41 is a lot better on FPS than the ATR was and there is no comparison to the VC. In fact I would say that the J41 may have the best looking VC in FSX at the moment or at least in the top 3.One thing that I like about the J41 is that you can fly it casually if you want since by default it it already up and running when you start a flight. You can also use the default GPS if you want or if you want to fly it by the book you can start cold and dark and use the FMC. Either way its a great a/c.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for all the replies folks.After your comments, I'll probably first try the ATR FSX upgrade, and see how the FPS and VC look, then decide whether to go on to the PMDG or not.--Bryn

For me the J41 is a very intimidating aircraft. I have never had flying lessons, but have the PMDG 747, Real Air B60, Digital Aviation PA31T Cheyenne and fly them. I think this is the most challenging of them. It takes allot of study. I have a 2 inch binder and a 1 inch binder that are the manuals. If you want realism and the corresponding challenge then this is the best FSX aircraft to have. You will not just start flying it as soon as you get it. I think it is worth the work necessary to learn to fly this aircraft.Lynn
It depends, I think. In my opinion it is completely nunnecessary to read all manuals. This is because the J41 has a tutorial of immense use. I dare say the J41 has one of the best tutorials one can have for any aircraft. It is only because of this tutorial that I did my first flight with the J41 from beginning to end without problems. All went alright. That's not to say it'll be that way for everybody, but I think a lot of people go up in smoke because they didn't pay enough attention to the tutorial. If you meticulously follow the tutorial, i don't see any reason for you to fail.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

It depends, I think. In my opinion it is completely nunnecessary to read all manuals. This is because the J41 has a tutorial of immense use. I dare say the J41 has one of the best tutorials one can have for any aircraft. It is only because of this tutorial that I did my first flight with the J41 from beginning to end without problems. All went alright. That's not to say it'll be that way for everybody, but I think a lot of people go up in smoke because they didn't pay enough attention to the tutorial. If you meticulously follow the tutorial, i don't see any reason for you to fail.
I agree, who ever wrote the tutorial for the J41 did a great job. It was very easy to follow and after one flight with the tutorial I was on my way on my own with a good understanding of how everything works. Probably the best tutorial I have ever used.

This is a simple answer: the F1 ATR is simply a portover. You won't get the best results in FSX as it would do within FS9. Most of PMDG's products however, are FSX native. Regards,Dave

I agree, who ever wrote the tutorial for the J41 did a great job. It was very easy to follow and after one flight with the tutorial I was on my way on my own with a good understanding of how everything works. Probably the best tutorial I have ever used.
Is it really unclear as to who wrote the tutorial lol? It was written by our founder Robert Randazzo who has thousands of hours in both seats of the real life J41.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Is it really unclear as to who wrote the tutorial lol? It was written by our founder Robert Randazzo who has thousands of hours in both seats of the real life J41.
Well he did an excellent job. Not that we will need one, but if you guys do a tutorial for the new NGX in the same fashion as the J41 that will be really great.

I can say that once I had the ATR in FSX I was really disappointed with the FPS of the ATR ...... After testing the ATR in FSX for about an hour I couldn't take the low FPS
So, what exactly were the FPS in comparison to J41?

Well that explains it then. You can see, when reading the manual, that somebody with not only a very good understanding of the plane wrote it, but also a very good idea of how this in-depth knowledge should be made understandable to complete novices on the J41. he did an awesome job, is all I can say.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

So, what exactly were the FPS in comparison to J41?
I got about 6 FPS less with the ATR compared to the J41 using the same airport, time of day and weather setting. Plus the VC of the ATR looks really bland and basic compared to the J41.