Sign in to follow this  
Turbine777

JS41 trouble finding instruments

Hello Gents, I decided a couple days ago to re attempt to learn the JS41. I am reading the manuals, and have come across some things in the "Tutorial" that I can't seem to find for the life of me...A little assist would be great!1.) ***Deleted - found it*** I couldn't find the switch to check the time remaining on the AHRS alignment...2.) Tutorial states: "...ensuring that the ELT is not in the TEST mode". How does one do that? I read the AOM and don't see anything about testing the "emergency locator transmitter"... I do see the words reset and test on the decal, but have no idea how to do any testing with just an Arm and ON option.The AOM states: "The proper ground start position for the power levers is found by moving the levers rearward until the green reverse captions illuminate, and then moving them forward to the point where the reverse captions extinguish."But the Tutorial states: "Now, using F3, the mouse or other device, move the power levers forward about

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

New issue. Not sure if it was a fluke or what, but after takeoff my Flight Plan was gone. I imagine it had nothing to do with taking off, but the only thing I can guess is when I shut off the Avionics prior to engine start. The strange thing is, I did the TOCWS test on the RWY and no buzzer sounded, yet when I took to the sky and went to engage AP I noticed (for the 1st time sadly), that the FMS was off and I had to turn it on again. Once on my Flight Plan was gone. Either this was as I said a fluke, or I must have clicked it off somehow and not noticed... or the FP shouldn't be loaded until after engine start and the Avionics are back on?Oh well, tomorrows another day. I've tried 3 times today which has taken the better part of the day. Think I'll unplug for a bit and go kick the Cat :(

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

2.) Tutorial states: "...ensuring that the ELT is not in the TEST mode". How does one do that? I read the AOM and don't see anything about testing the "emergency locator transmitter"... I do see the words reset and test on the decal, but have no idea how to do any testing with just an Arm and ON option.
Set com1 to 121.50 and turn it on, you will hear the test signal through the radio. I assume this wouldn't send out the real signal (if this was reality) but I do't know for sure.
well if that's true then the power lever start position is simply in the Idle position, is it not?
Thats what I have come to understand, the reason I believe normally for making the beta lights extinguish would be to make sure the power levers aren't touching into the reverse segment, but in FSX unlike the real bird we can just hit F1 to forwarding them is not needed.
New issue. Not sure if it was a fluke or what, but after takeoff my Flight Plan was gone. I imagine it had nothing to do with taking off, but the only thing I can guess is when I shut off the Avionics prior to engine start. The strange thing is, I did the TOCWS test on the RWY and no buzzer sounded, yet when I took to the sky and went to engage AP I noticed (for the 1st time sadly), that the FMS was off and I had to turn it on again. Once on my Flight Plan was gone. Either this was as I said a fluke, or I must have clicked it off somehow and not noticed... or the FP shouldn't be loaded until after engine start and the Avionics are back on?Oh well, tomorrows another day. I've tried 3 times today which has taken the better part of the day. Think I'll unplug for a bit and go kick the Cat :(
If you configure the FMS at the gate with ground power then get a pushback (removed the ground power) before start the FMS will shut off and reset. The FMS is independant to the Avionics power and will be off without external or engines electricalk power. Not sure if thats what happened to you but it is a common question about how to keep the FMS powered if you need a pushback. There is a video of Eastern airways even using reversers to move back from the gate/parking.

Thanks Jay, I had another go at it and this time got airborne, had Alt Select and Heading selecting but AP just wants to drive my into the earth like a dart no matter what. Alt was set to 3000, FMS was loading per the tutorial. I tried it twice and was climbing approx 2200' hit AP and it dives to the earth. This is what happened last time I gave the js41 a go when I 1st got it, and why I stopped.It doesn't make sense since Cruise is set for 16000, but I have 3000 dialed in. Alt select & HDG on the dash, hit AP and it dives right away. I tried this last time to see if it would sort itself out but stress crashed due to overspeed...

Dan Prunier

The ALT SEL button will only capture the Alt when aircraft reaches the dialed in Alt, so if you press alt select and AP on at some point before reaching that alt the AP system wont capture the alt unless your close to it. You still need to select a vertical mode like V/S or IAS to reach the dialed in alt. Just HDG and ALT SEL selected when you turn on AP wont control the vertical flight (so it could dive or climb or whatever) unless you are within a couple hundred feet of commanded alt. 2200 isn't close enough (to 3000) I don't think.If you want the AP to hold current speed in a pitch mode, then press IAS on the AP panel aswell and it will continue on (speed hold by pitch) until it captures the dialied in Alt, ALT SEL will then change to ALT.Oh and for the ELT again I just noticed it says on the ELT panel that to test press ON for 5 seconds then back to arm (using 121.5 to hear and LED will light up).

Sorry for the late reply Jay, I've been out all day.Thanks for the info. Flying the heavies for so long I assumed that it would continue to climb to my set alt atleast. I'll give it another whirl now and see if can find some success. I've read lots of the manuals on just about everything I never heard of and skipped the things (for now) that I thought I knew, but I guess not so will have to find more time. I could have sworn I had IAS set to 170, but I've been trying to focus so much on the EIS I may have clicked it off or something.Last question (I hope ;-), Is there any way to get a pop up window for the EIS? Or how do others do it when climbing? I mean, there's so much going on in this AC after takeoff with lining up the dash lines on the EGT and normally while I'm still trying to fly turn to my first heading. Having a popup of the EIS seems like the best way so I can still be watching the flight director during turns. I don't run at a normal res so others might not have this issue or perhaps they just wait to start their turn or turn first then worry about their torque/EGT/RPMS etc...Thanks again,

Dan Prunier

Yeah the EIS watching is a bit of a pain, there isn't a 2D popup unfortunately. I usually zoom out enough to see the EADI, EHSI and EIS but as expected it makes everything a little hard to see. I give a little EGT buffer (not at limits) and generally don't worry too much, I do check it but not religiously considering there is so much going while looking through a monitor while your flying alone. I also notice the little TTL lights, if I see the one in my view flashs (green) I check EGT. This allows me to zoom in a little more on the EADI.