Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

Tail Draggers in FS2004 Help Please

What did MS do in FS2004 to prevent the tail draggers to be steered with a two axis joystick and autocoordination on. I can steer the R4D and the Duck from FS2002 in FS2004 with this setup but can't steer any of the stock FS2004 tail draggers. Is the problem in the model files or the airfiles? I have studied the airfiles for both the Duck and R4D and noted differences that are not in the stock tail draggers of FS2004. I tried editing the stock DC-3 airfile to no avail. I know that I can use differential braking, differential engine power, or buy a new three axis joystick, but sure would like to use the present joystick like the other planes allow. Thanks, regards, Bob.

Thanks to a thread at Flightsim.com, I found an answer. All you have to do is to edit the aircraft.cfg file for the tail draggers and change the seventh number in the first line of the Contact Points Section to 60.0. In the DeHavilland, the Ford, and if you have it, the Vought F4-U, the previous number was 180.0. Changing it to 60.0 fixes the problem. It allows the main gears to be rotated 60.0 degrees, which is not realistic, but it sure lets you taxi them with a two axis joystick and autocoordination. For the Ryan and the Vickers the original value was 0.0. Changing this to 60.0 allows you to taxi them too with this joystick setup. Hope this helps some others as it did for me. Regards, Bob.

A nice fix, but indeed unrealistic.AFAIK, the taildraggers are steered by differential power or braking, without the use of rudder, or, FS-wise, joystick. Yup, it makes the experience more realistic, and more difficult :-hah. The DC-3 and especially the DH88 can be a b*tch to taxi. A gentle touch on the throttle and a lot of differential braking is the technique here... my technique anyway :-)Oh well, some 'fixes' make simming a lot easier :-) [p]

I agree,The real DC3 has a free-swivelling tailweel, which just follows the aircraft. It cannot be controlled. Also, at low speeds, like when you're taxiing, the rudder has little effect. In reality, the DC3 REQUIRED differential thrust and/or braking to be steered while taxiing. In this case, having rudder pedals with toebrakes really helps steering the aircraft.Allard.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

You guys are correct. It is not realistic at all. I agree. I don't have rudder control other than the keyboard, which I hate. If I ever get a rudder control and differential brake switches on a new joystick I'll change back to using it in the normal fashion. Best regards, Bob.