Sign in to follow this  
Guest OneTinSoldier

FS2004 historical flights

Hello,Trying to fly the historical flights, many of them crashes just after starting, I can't control the aircraft....any idea ?Thanks,Ulisses

Guest papatango

The problem may be with flying Taildraggers. Microsoft has a very good help article on flying Taildraggers. Also, look at the recent post on flying the Piper Cub. It talks about the difficulties in controlling the aircraft, especially during crosswind takeoffs and landings. They are much harder to takeoff and land than planes with a tricycle landing gear, such as the Cessna 172.Papatango

Guest GZR_Frenchy

Yep, I'm not a real pilot just an old R/C pilot. Tail draggers are a whole different other world. You can't see where you are going when you take off. In the R/C world you would hold the tail full up to force the wheel into the ground. Then ease up on the elevator until it sits on it's own wheels.But, in the real world you can't see where the heck you are going any way. Right rudder is a must. Then try to hang your neck out the side. If that doesn't do it wiggle left and right until you find something to hang on to. Mostly, like the end of the runway. Praying helps. That is just the way it was.Frenchy -- out.

In "Short Flights (Kiosk)" I tried the "Barnstorming" that starts flying and I can't control the aircraft, it goes direct to the ground and crash...I tried many times and no luck...Any idea ?thanks,ulisses

Guest freequest

Well as for taildraggers you just got to practice... I am doing the vicers vimy trip from england to australia... that is one dog of a plane on the ground it has no breacks so its all engine stearing.I found the trick on that is to have one engine on 1/3 power and the engine that you wish to turn with on full otherwise you wont ever move..BTW lack of trim on the vimy means that you will actually have to fly it I have done to legs so far on the trip the first leg was 8 hours was a real pain in the hand :)

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi,I suggest giving the aircraft a pretty good time to roll before lifting off. After lifting off try to climb very slowly, at least at first to see if you can get the aircraft to gain some more speed. I'm thinking this might at least help to keep from crashing right after you get off the ground. I hope that helps.Regards,One Tin Soldier

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi again ulisses,Not sure what the problem is there. I just tried by the Historical Barnstorming Flight and the Barnstorming Short Flights (Kiosk). In the Historical flight I found the Jenny to be pretty hard to control shortly after takeoff without a good amount of rudder and some alieron input. After a few though, it seemed to stabilize and I had her on her merry way down the coastline. Got it up to 2000 ft altitude by the time I reached the very edge of town. On the Short Flights (Kiosk) one, I had no trouble at all. I flew right through the barn with no problem.