Sign in to follow this  
Steve Cannell

Serious ATC Message Issue in FS2004

Hello. I'm hoping someone can help me with a big problem that seems to be happening with ATC messages in FS2004.I'm not sure how well this will explain it but here goes.Basically what happens is sometimes when ATC is giving me instructions for various things the message isn't heard. Instead I hear one or two words that has nothing to do with anything. So far this has happend to me from the tower and from Approach when telling me what approach I should expect. It's very VERY strange.As another example, on my last flight Approach tried to tell me what approach to expect and instead all I heard was "Chinook". That's it. And, when I go to repeat what I was told I said the same thing.I thought maybe something was going on with a couple of added planes I had installed but this last flight was with the default Lear.I'm really hoping someone can help me hear. So far I've barely been able to use the new ATC features at all because of this.Thank you very much in advance!

I can repeat this every time when a flight plan is put together from KWBC to anywhere.It happens all over but I can repeat this one constantly.

I was having all sorts of sound problems including with the ATC.I saw this suggestion in these forms, gave it a try and it worked. Run the DirectX diagnostic tool "dxdiag" and set the sound acceleration setting to "BASIC". Hope it works for yah.Steve

Every kind of sound problem you can amagine, including what you describe. Overlapping atc voices and many more bursts of sound impossible to describe. :-)Steve

Nope. That didn't do it.Can you make a flight plan from KWBC to anywhere and see what you hear when you contact LA to open the flight plan?I'd appreciate it.

Guest ssurjap

Try playing around with the sound settings. If that doens't work, you can always refer to your kneeboard. Click on the CHECK MARK, then click on the second icon (headphones). This keeps track of the ATC instructions to you in written format.

Terrific. I guess it's time to start all over again from scratch. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it and no luck. I even reinstalled the USEnglishbig sound file from the install CD and no luck. I have no idea what's doing this.

Guest steku

I used to start fs9 in "high priority mode" by using bat file containing one line:start /high fs9.exeI too had mamy problems with ATC sound (stutters, jerkinees etc.).When I started fs9 normal way (without "high priority") - ATC sound works OK.I think I have consistent results:- high priority - ATC sound stutters- no high priority - no ATC sound stuttersI dxdiag I'm using full acceleration of sound (slider to the right). When I tried no acceleration (slider to the left) sound quality was poor.In multimedia&sound (I'm using polish version of Windows 2000 Professional so translations may be incorrect) control panel I also have second slider ("quality of quantization speed conversion" ?) maxed (best quality).I'm using Avance AC97 Audio integrated in my Gigabyte motherboard.Steku

The quality of the sound isn't the problem. It's the words that are spoken that's the problem. They are all wrong. Maybe that's the point I'm not conveying properly.For example: instead of the controller telling me to turn to heading (whatever) and expect ILS approach (or whatever) runway (whatever), it will say "Chinook". Or maybe "Helicopter something". Completely off from anything remotely close.This doesn't happen everytime at every place but it's happening more than enough to be happy with. And, I can repeat this everytime at the airport mentioned above.

After reading this post I thought I would give this KWBC another try and see what happens. Maybe write down for you what ATC says but a funny thing happened. I can't find this airport code. The other day when testing this flight for you I accidently just selected the airport FS had highlighted. KWBC isn't in my default scenery ??Steve

HowdyCreated a flight plan at KBWC, contacted LAC and all worked perfectly.Hope you get it all sorted out. Good luck.Steve

Just out of curiousity...Did you create the plan before going to the airport (from the create flight screen) or was it after everything was loaded?Thanks!