Sign in to follow this  
rstough

Severe Weather

I have used the thunderstorm theme, but frankly, I can fly right into them with nothing more than light turbulence experienced. Is there any setting that will make thunderstorms truly hazardous to the aircraft? Can you avoid thunderstorm cells in FS2004 or are they local to all areas in the vicinity you are flying?I downloaded Calibre's "Approaching Front" theme. I sat on the runway and went to 128X on simulator rate. The frontal storms stayed in the distance west of me. Does weather really move (not just clouds moving by) in the FS2004 themes. I know it builds and disipates but does it move geographically?Thanks for any and all responses.

I'm interested in this too, I had some experience in X-Plane in bad weather and lot of work to keep the aircraft stable. Ulisses

In regards to the weather theme created by Calibre - the thunderstorms are set to moderate to heavy in turbulence. FS9 just does not allow you create the type of storms FU3 use to give. I wish they did. I did noticed as I landed in the storm that I was knocked around a lot and almost missed the runway. I was also blown around alot while taxing to my gate. I was flying a cessna however.The weather does appear to move in FS9 - it just takes a long time (at least in our testing so far). A weather theme is approx. 1000 sq. km. The one created by Weather Maker is about 64 square km. The storms however, are only moving about 20 to 30 mph - so you would have to wait about 1 to 2 hours for them to approach. Also I have notice in our testing that the dynamic generator is not always the best. That FS9 will modify the weather as it goes without the dynamic generator.We are still in the testing and development stage of Weather Maker - so we hope to get some of these issues worked out.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Thanks for the quick reply. I hope your efforts at developing an application that truly "generates" dynamic frontal weather is successful.

If I remember correctly, the Learning Centre mentions that with the dynamic weather slider set to Extreme (far right), one should see weather changes in 20 mins or so; but then with this setting, the slider affects frames.

Hi, "I have used the thunderstorm theme, but frankly, I can fly right into them with nothing more than light turbulence experienced. Is there any setting that will make thunderstorms truly hazardous to the aircraft? Because the default theme have been creating like this, with light turbulance. Ms SDK, for weather theme, a tools will be available for creating your complete from a to z your own weather themes all around the world!When turning off the dynamic weather , it will not affect any real weather or any weather themes.Also:In the fs9.cfg You can customize your Dynamic weather engine:[Weather]WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1MinGustTime=10MaxGustTime=500MinGustRampSpeed=1MaxGustRampSpeed=200MinVarTime=5MaxVarTime=50MinVarRampSpeed=10MaxVarRampSpeed=75TurbulenceScale=1.000000DefaultVisibility=0DynWx_MedianDewPointSpread=10.000000DynWx_ProbCloudFormForMedianDewPoint=0.000500DynWx_MaxDewPointSpread=50.000000DynWx_ProbCloudFormForMaxDewPoint=0.000125DynWx_ProbCloudFormForMinDewPoint=0.100000DynWx_DryTempLapsePer1000Meters=9.000000DynWx_ProbCloudFormForDryTempLapse=0.000500DynWx_MoistTempLapsePer1000Meters=3.300000DynWx_ProbCloudFormForMoistTempLapse=0.040000DynWx_MaxProbCloudChangePerMinute=0.040000DynWx_MultiplierForDynamicWeatherLevelMild=0.500000DynWx_MultiplierForDynamicWeatherLevelNormal=1.000000DynWx_MultiplierForDynamicWeatherLevelHigh=3.000000DynWx_MultiplierForDynamicWeatherLevelExtreme=10.000000DynWx_TempChangePercentageForOvercastClouds=0.750000DynWx_TempChangePercentageForMinDewPoint=0.700000DynWx_MaxTempChangePerMinute=0.060000ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Chris,Is there a document which explains all the weather settings in the config file?

Chris,Is there a document which explains all the weather settings in the config file?

Thank you for you very kind encouragement.Just to let you know I have greatly updated the (http://www.weather-maker.com/downloads/weathermaker.zip)Cold Front file and hopefully increased the sheer and turbulence so that it feels like a real thunderstorm. I have also included a very strong jet at about 30k of upto 150 knots out of the sw. Also on the other side of the front you will get low stratus with a cooling Northwest breeze and some light post-frontal precip. Please let me know what you think. reedstough@calibresoftware.com.I hope to be releasing: warm front, winterstorm conditions, and super-cell thunderstorms later this week.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Nyway to improve the sound effects when inside a thunderstorm ?Thanks,Ulisses

Thanks Reed. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to weather-maker and the new challenges it will bring to Flight Simulator.

Thanks Reed. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to weather-maker and the new challenges it will bring to Flight Simulator.

The only way I know to change the thunderstorm sounds is to replace the .wav files of precip and thunder.One thing you might try, but it might be a little risky is to search the web for thunder files and rename them to the ones in FS9. Of course save your old ones first. I remember there were some new thunder sound files for FS2002 on avsim.com a long time ago, but I don't know if they are still there.I hope this helps and if you find some let me know.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com