Sign in to follow this  
boing71234567

First Flight Lesson in 3 years

If it was turbulent, then that might be all that it was. Light aircraft take a bit of getting used to as you know, and most people are surprised how much they can bounce around the first time they fly in one if more used to riding in a 737 or something, since they don't have the inertia of a big jetliner.I suspect that it was probably a combination of apprehension, excitement, not being too used to it, and possibly being a bit off colour anyway. When you are not so keyed up about things after a few lessons, it will probably go away. But just to be on the safe side, don't have a big greasy fry-up before take of LOLAl

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I'm answering you in Yahoo!... press forward! I had the same sort of thing happen to me, but it is surprisingly common and easy to beat. All you really need to do is give yourself a chance to beat it!

Also try Dramamine or any alternative before flying. Otherwise I guess the only thing left is to be conditioned by repeatably flying. I can't offer much in the way of remedies while your sick as I've never had motion sickness--but a friend of mine became ill and it helped him when he focused on the horizon and kind of meditated for a few moments. (That's the only thing that came to mind to tell him as I didn't want to vomit from the sounds/smell/sight of him vomiting in a hot two seater!!! :( )

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Hello,I had my first flight lesson today, and It went well, until I got sick.http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_y...28143439AAjkSPxI need a little help about this. BTW that is the question I asked about what happened on yahoo answers.-thank you
I think you will develop "sea legs". Though I never threw up I always felt a little wierd after a flight when I first started flying 21 years ago-that went away after about 10 hours.I have never have had it since except- about 8 years ago I was in a Cap plane in the backseat in a lot of heat while we did a grid search-after 2 hours I was feeling a little woosy-surprised me..

Hello, I had my first flight lesson today, and It went well, until I got sick.http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_y...28143439AAjkSPxI need a little help about this. BTW that is the question I asked about what happened on yahoo answers.-thank you
A bunch of Gravel and Tylenol 3's :( Try to get some fresh air blowing on you if your plane has air vents in the cockpit.

First time I flew (7 years ago), I felt perfectly fine. However, on a ride on a whale watching boat around then, I felt nauseous. I found that chewing gum tends to help seasickness, and may help airsickness as well.

Guest FengZ

You'll get used it over time. Try to take a few lessons close to each other (like mon, wed, fri, etc.) This will teach your body to get familiar with the sense of motion.I got a little motion sick on my first lessons. But by the 3rd of 4th lesson, it just completely went away...Only time i got sick was during some instrument stuff (where the instructor told me to close my eyes while she did all sorts of pitch and turns with the plane; then i had to open my eyes and recover by looking at the instruments only).....that got me a bit sick but only after i was on the ground and in my car....-feng

Try to get some fresh air blowing on you if your plane has air vents in the cockpit.
True, that helps me too.
Only time i got sick was during some instrument stuff (where the instructor told me to close my eyes while she did all sorts of pitch and turns with the plane; then i had to open my eyes and recover by looking at the instruments only).....that got me a bit sick but only after i was on the ground and in my car....
I remember right before I did my first IFR training I went with a friend on his first IFR lesson and sat in the back. I have to say after all the VFR flying before it was a very weird feeling, especially due to the weather. And no, it was not bumpy but quite the opposite. And that made it even worse, at least in that situation. The air was completely smooth and quiet as we entered a shallow layer of stratus with virtually no visibility inside. After a few moments it became hard to tell where top and bottom was, even though we must have been climbing straight and level. From the rear seat I began to stare at the artificial horizon and violently tried to "imagine" the aircraft's attitude, because I couldn't really feel it anymore. That was really not a good feeling, but once I had my own training afterwards and I was at the controls myself it was all completely gone and I didn't have problems after that. So yeah, I guess it's just what all the above guys said, keep going at it. You'll get used to it. :(

Guest Hondabuff

Using Track IR and EZdok made me sick when I first started using it. My wife still makes fun of me for it. I did some IFR Training in a Warrior III and was flying copilot. I had to look across to the pilot side to scan the guages.....I was sick for 36 hours afterward.. What a horrible feeling.

I hear of wrist bands you can wear to get the motionsickness feeling away. Do these work? Has anyone had success with this?-thank youMatthew Miller

Guest BrendanJD
I hear of wrist bands you can wear to get the motionsickness feeling away. Do these work? Has anyone had success with this?-thank youMatthew Miller
Yes, accupressure wristbands do work. Positioning is critical if you do get one, so make sure you follow the directions closely. EVERY time you fly, make certain you are well hydrated and sufficiently (but not overly) nourished. I can't explain proper eating habits in a single post, but eat something low-glycemic that isn't converted into blood sugar (aka glucose) quickly. Good ideas are steel cut oats with fruit, shredded wheat, etc. The best thing to do is force yourself to push on and eventually your vestibular system will adapt and you'll become immune. Medication, like Dramamine, can cause drowsiness and other side effects which can affect your performance. Try ginger ale instead. I, being a health nut, would not consume anything like Canada Dry. You're better off avoiding the high fructose corn syrup, now known to often be contaminated with mercury (an entirely different issue), and getting either ginger powder or syrup. I enjoy a quality ginger syrup, available at many health food stores, which you can combine with seltzer water to make your own Ginger Ale. You can also try ginger capsules. Good luck!