Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

XP fix Q811493 causes severe loss of frame rates

Folks,Although this problem has been discussed before it was 3 months ago and with the release of FS2004 there may be new users who are unaware of the severe frame rate hit they will get if they apply XP's Q811493 security fix.In short, I experienced a huge drop in frame rates from 24 to 12 with this fix applied. Removing it restored my frame rates back to normal.Under no circumstances should you apply Q811493 to your XP installation. Doing so will effectively turn your 2GHz processor into a 1GHz one!To remove it select Start .. Control Panel .. Add/Remove programs and scroll to the bottom of the list and choose Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q811493. Reboot your machine and the problem is resolved.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi Ray,You may be right, but I'm not totally certain about it. I don't think I'm going to uninstall it. Just speaking personally for myself. Here's some info I found on it directly from the web page....http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;819634(if you want to view this page you MUST highlight the ENTIRE line and paste into your browser's address bar)You may experience slower computer performance after you install the 811493 (MS03-013) security update package on a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1), or after you upgrade to SP1 on a Windows XP-based computer on which the 811493 security update was previously installed. This problem may be more likely to occur if you use some features of some third-party programs, such as antivirus programs. For example, this problem may occur if your antivirus program is configured to scan all files when you open (or you run) them. This is sometimes called "real-time" scanning.RESOLUTIONTo resolve this problem, install the corrected version of the 811493 security update. For additional information about how to obtain and install the corrected version of the 811493 security update, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:STATUSMicrosoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the original 811493 update.Regards,One Tin Soldier

Hi OTS,Thanks for the new info. I tried to download the 811493 package but the site couldn't be located. Maybe MS have taken it off-line because of the worm virus?So are you saying that you have it installed but it isn't having a detrimental effect on frame rates?Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest BrianC

You can use embedded HTML to get the link to work correctly:[a href=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819634]Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 819634[/a][a href=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819634]Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 819634[/a]

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi Ray,I don't believe it is affecting my performace, but I could be wrong. I even have Norton Anti-virus running as a real-time scanner. The only problem I'm have right now is the one described in the following thread...PROBLEM: Autogen rendering is major FPS hog!http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...&mesg_id=135820I feel the title of the thread is only part of the story, as I seem to have fps that is just fine in urban areas.. for say, the first ten minutes of the sim. Then things go downhill, even if I'm in/stay in the same urban area. I think it has something to do with the problem that has been reported of people getting poor FPS on landing approaches too, imho. Sincerely,One Tin Soldier

Hi OTS,I did see that thread but hadn't experimented with your suggestion. I'll change AutoGen settings and see what happens. I'll also visit the Knowledge Base and check for the latest on the 811493 situation. I would prefer to have all patches installed but not at the expense of FS performance.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray - Do check for the latest on 811493. There was a new version of this patch released on May 28th that fixes the problems. I'm running the full set of XP updates, including 811493, and have no performance issues with the security update(s).Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest N247BK

Thanks for the information, first of all.I'm not certain I have experienced a significant loss in performance, but it is because I have been flight-simming very little in the past 6 months.I do have this "fix" installed, and the version # is: 20021212-173024.I preassume there was a Dec 12, 2002 release date.Can anyone let me know if this is the "bad" version.Thanks again!

Hi OTS,I have been trying to keep up to date with FS9 posts to see if anything can help my aging system ;-) (XP1800) and see there are some posts concerning landclass scenery and low fps. I don't know if you have seen them but if you do have any landclass files installed I would check the forum msgs and make sure you don't have landclass BGLs installed in a scenery folder that has a texture folder associated with it.Cheers.

Guest kilo_sierra17

I have been doing some looking around at my Windows Install History, I first installed that update on April 17, I uninstalled about 2 weeks after that when I heard about poor performance, then I reinstalled after I had been away for 2 weeks and about 5 updates had come out and that was on June 29, I downloaded this file which seems to the be the newest update/patch for 811493, I am going to try removing that file and stuff later day! I would recommened to anyone though to make a System Restore Time before removing anything to to with windows.http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi Vulcan,I have installed a landclass file. It is SWDen. It is in it's own folder, SWDen, but there is no 'texture' folder there inside the 'SWDen' folder. It has a Scenery.dat file, and it has a 'scenery' folder with SWDen.bgl in it. Then I installed some scenery, Tahiti 2004. Of course, this has a 'scenery' AND a 'texture' folder inside the Tahiti 2004 folder. The scenery folder has a number of .bgl files and 1 .xcl file. The texture folder has lengthy list of files. I have been reading the forum posts, including the 'hot topic' about the "Virtual memory leak - due to Landclass FS2004 scenery".Thanks, :)One Tin Soldier

Doug,I will but why should the end user have to do all this chasing around to overcome a dodgy MS release? I've ignored this patch for some time and decided to reinstall it again the other day - hence my problems. I can't understand that if a new version was available and I installed the one suggested by the Update feature I'm still getting the problem. It sounds as though the dodgy one is still appearing on the web page.I've installed every patch for XP and this is the only one that's given me any problems.Thanks,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I dunno Ray. I believe that I have the latest release and I got it on a reinstall of the updates (via the Update feature) about four weeks ago when I reinstalled XP. What I have on the system now is version 20030424.101451 and it appears to be problem-free. Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Doug,I've now reinstalled that updated security release and it seems okay now. Very strange :-hmmm It's still worthwhile pointing out to others though that if your frame rates do appear to be very low it could be that security fix that's responsible.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Glad you got it sorted Ray. Somehow I just never have quite trusted those Windows updates. I've never had a problem but I'm always a bit nervous about them just the same. But, all-in-all, I guess it's better than the old method. Sure can be problematical, though, when things aren't going right.Doug