Sign in to follow this  

Message to *all* uploaders ...... save space ... delete ALL Thumbs.db files :-)

Hello :)Can someone explain why so many files in the various libraries contain thumbs.db files? They're useless on my system, and some of them are 800Kb - 1Mb in size! If you know that your PC doesn't use thumbs'db files then delete them ....... I have regained tens of megabytes of hard disk space :)

This comes from Paint Shop Pro. The author will create images of his works and then do a "browse" on the folder he stored them in. By doing this, PSP creates a "thumbs.db" database to speed loading of the thumbs in future uses. It is annoying to see those in files uploaded because they are large and not very compressable, thus making the file much larger than it has to be. They would all do us a favor by turning off the thumbs.db function.

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi,I don't necessarily feel they need to turn it off, especially if it is somehow useful for them to have the thumbs.db file. But after they make the zip archive, it's not that hard to scroll down the list of files in it(in WinZip I'm talking here), look for any 'thumbs.db' file and highlight(select) them(multiple files can be highlighted by holding down the 'CTRL' key), then delete them out of the archive. I know it's not that hard because, I scroll through any package I download, highlight ALL 'thumbs.db' files I see and only them, then click on 'Invert Selection'(under Actions menu), which then highlights all the other files and un-highlights the thumbs.db files.... AND THEN unzip. That's how I keep from unzipping them in the first place. But I must admit, having them in there to begin with must be taking up a little bandwith on the Internet.Regards,One Tin Soldier

It's not PSP per se, it's Windows XP that does it.If it's PSP the file is visible on the filesystem, if it's XP it's not (XP makes it a hidden file).many people have display of hidden files disabled, and don't even know the file is there (they probably never check out the zipfile after creating it).

Guest jordan

Windows ME does it as well. I've accidently overlooked them and gotten them into a few of my zip packages as well. The file is created when you view a folder in "thumbnail" mode, which is the default on most windows systems out of the box now days.

That file is created by windows when a folder has been looked at in thumbnail view. Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

It's not PaintShop pro to blame, but Windows.They serve a purpose on older/slower PCs, but make no difference on today's highend/superdrooperfast hard disks so it's better if you disable them.Also, if you don't tell Windows, you will never see those files, so most of the users don't even know their existance! BUT, Winzip (and similar utilities) DO see them as by default they do not ignore system or hidden files.To be able to see them, and/or disable 'thumbs.db' you can do the following:1. Open 'Windows Exporer' Start, Programs, Accessories, Windows Explorer.2. Then go to Tools, Folder Options3. Open the Views tab.4. CHECK/Enable the Do Not Cache Thumbnails setting.5. Further below under the Hidden Files and folders Select the 2nd option Show Hidden Files and FoldersThat all. You will them be able to see already existin 'thumbs.db' files and delete them (You will get a warning that are system files but you can ignore it), and no more will be created because you disabled them by step 4.Fly safe,George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

Thanks for the contribution, guys :)Just look at the picture attached ...... 805Kb is a complete waste of space :( ... and it takes 3 - 4 mins for a dialup modem user to download 800Kb :(http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/32881.jpgEveryone.... please take heed, and delete those useless thumbs.db files from your uploads! Once you've followed the above instructions, delete them from your HD and reclaim megabytes of space!! :)American Airlines Virtualhttp://www.aavirtual.com :)

Why do you keep bumping this thread every ten minutes? Whoops, there you go, I've done it again!Useful information, nevertheless. I had not spotted this in my own uploads, as the file in my case was created only when zipping up the finished work using WINZIP. I always unzip again thereafter to make sure everything is in place, but had not spotted the THUMBS.DB files for all the reasons above. So thanks, folks, for this information. It's taken 3-400KB out of every upload for me now, which is great. And I thought those AVSIM.DIZ files were the only annoyance, LOL! They don't even get to first base compared to THUMBS.DB!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg