Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

Real or Indicated air speed?

What a cool and interesting topic. Thanks to all of you for the great information. I love learning about the how's and why's.KP

Guest allblack

Ryan,Your post was great, as are all the others, but I'm having difficulty getting my head around what should be straightforward!!!I will confess however, that I started a new post coz I couldn't find my old one!!! I tried and was going to copy and past the same example in, but it's lost somewhere on 300 pages.....I appreciate your time as well.Good news is, I was mulling over this today and doodling on some paper (I'm a visual person), and I think I'm getting it (finally!!!!).I've been hung up on crossing the threshold at a decent rate of knots (pardon the pun), and missing the point that as long as she stays in the air and doesn't stall, then landing speed is pretty much irrelevant.This is flying 101, and I should know this!! I'm annoyed with myself for not getting the basics....CheersAllblack

Guest wathomas777

Now I would not say that landing speed is irrelevant. Remember, once you are on the ground, or Indicated Airspeed is now meaningless and we are trying to stop this multi ton piece of equipment within the limits of our runway.On the contrary, It is a huge consideration. Which is exactly why you are always directed INTO the wind (as much as practical) when landing. Because we are dealing with airflow across the wing, we want to be able to land as slowly as possible WHILE maintaining lift. If I had a single runway, with a 20 Kt wind going parallel to the runway, and Let's say I'm maintaining about 80kts indicated. Which side of the runway do I land on?Do I make a better landing with a ground speed of 100Kts or a ground speed of 60 kts? With a ground speed of 60kts into a 20Kts headwind, I keep my wings happy AND my brakes happy. With a ground speed of 100Kts, My wings may love me, but my brakes now have to work harder to bleed off that extra 40kts of speed.....Just remember:For Takeoff and Landing....Tailwind bad, Headwind good.For Cruise and fuel consumption at altitude....Headwind bad, Tailwind good.