Sign in to follow this  
Guest 747drvr

EditVoicePack v3.0 & Spyware?

Guest CargoMun

After installing the new version of EditVoicepack v3.0 for FS2004 I got notification of a program named "Hotbar" trying to access the internet after rebooting.I ran AddAware and sure enough, it found Hotbar to be spyware. Since the folder was from the same time I installed the program, so I would urge people who install this program to run it through AddAware.EDIT: I tried uninstalling EVP and installing it again, and this time the program did not show up. Since this program was the only thing i have installed at all for days this is very odd :-?

Guest lmoelleb

>After installing the new version of EditVoicepack v3.0 for>FS2004 I got notification of a program named "Hotbar" trying>to access the internet after rebooting.>>I ran AddAware and sure enough, it found Hotbar to be spyware.>Since the folder was from the same time I installed the>program, so I would urge people who install this program to>run it through AddAware.>>If this endeed has been supplied with EVP, a small>notification of this program beeing installed together with>the main program would have been in order Mr. Moellebjerg.I have no idea what you have installed, but Hotbar is not included in EditVoicepack. It's not even on my system (as far as I could see on Google, it would have made a "Hotbar" directory in the "Program Files" directory if it was here).Feel free to send an email if you have further questions, I do not really appriciate unjustified rumors like this on a forum.RegardsLars

Guest lmoelleb

>EDIT: I tried uninstalling EVP and installing it again, and>this time the program did not show up. Since this program was>the only thing i have installed at all for days this is very>odd :-?No, this is normal. As any search on Google would have shown you, Hotbar installs though a web link - so one or anoter time, IE has asked you if you wanted to run a program, and you have by mistake clicked yes.Sometime I wish that the Open/Run button would not be enabled before 10 seconds after the dialog opens.RegardsLars

Guest CargoMun

Well accept my apologies then, but since the program as mentioned above is the only thing I have installed (folder date was dated in same 10-minute spectrum) it lead me to think it was caused by this.I know you wouldnt appreciate something like this to be posted unfounded, but on the other hand these kinds of things happens alot in software, so one has to be alert.I did put a ? mark in the title wich to me isnt rumour spreading but a relevant question as good as anything, in case others might have gotten it.Again, I am sorry to have mentioned it and I do appreciate you're software.

Guest lmoelleb

Apology accepted... I work in the software security business, so I do jump a bit when accused of something like this. :)Anyway, in the future I would recommend you contact the author of the program first and give them at least the time it take you to investigate a bit furter to respond - in this case it had almost been enough (except one minute). Remember people might be in other timezones, or even have a life (ehh, who am I kidding - if it is a programmer releasing FS addons, he does NOT have a life), so he might not be able to respond right away.And before you react to the next message from your firewall - yes, EditVoicepack will try to contact my server when you start it. It can be disabled from the about box, but then you won't get any updates. You can still download offline updates obviously.RegardsLars

Guest mcd211255

Hi I have just downloaded v3 from the web site and installed with Nortons Cleansweep and there is no spyware or anything dodgy listed in the files installed.All clean for me.MikeLiverpool, UKBRitish Airways Virtual Capt.

Guest 747drvr

That is the reason and only reason why I use netscape 7.1, no popups no unauthorized anything gets loaded into my pc..

Guest 747drvr

Hey, Lars.. I just want to say I love editvoicepack..it gives me the RENOAIR callsign my favorite and former employer airline(sadly they are gone) but thank you!!!