Sign in to follow this  
BobKK47

RC vectoring for ILS approach

I'm becoming interested in purchasing RC 4.3. One question. When your flight plan includes an ILS approach, will RC always vector you (hand-holding) to the approach, or are there other real-world options in the program? For example, instead of vectoring, can you be cleared to a specific fix, such as the outer marker, or to an IAF (Initial Approach Fix)? Thanks much for info. Bob

I never include an approach in a flight plan. It is more realistic to use the active runway on arrival or request a specific runway while inbound. Since I started using airway routes and/or STARS the controllers have been giving excellent vectors to intercept the glidepath. As for real-world options: RC is about as real as it can get including Clearance delivery, taxi, departure, and enroute clearances, etc. ATC will be on your case if you deviate (they have you on that nasty transponder :) ). I have 1500 hours or so of actual flight time and still get into trouble with the RC controllers from time to time. If you want realism, then RC is the way to go. Add in a good real-time weather program and things can get pretty tense sometimes.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

In addition to the vectored approach Radar Contact includes the ability to select 1-full ILS (you are given complete control of your route, altitude, and headings when about 50 nm out): 2-GPS approach; 3-NDB approach: 4-VOR-A (and B I think) approach: and as you have mentioned, the 5-ever popular vectored approach. You can also specify whether NOTAMS are in use for your departure airport, destination, and alternate airport (you did remember to choose one didn't you?), which allows you even more leeway in how you plan your approach and landing. The possibilities are endless, but don't get on the wrong side of the controller working your flight. You will have to read the manual when you first install RC. You will quickly wonder how you ever got along without it.

I'm becoming interested in purchasing RC 4.3. One question. When your flight plan includes an ILS approach, will RC always vector you (hand-holding) to the approach, or are there other real-world options in the program? For example, instead of vectoring, can you be cleared to a specific fix, such as the outer marker, or to an IAF (Initial Approach Fix)? Thanks much for info. Bob
I

If you add the STAR but they are runway specific, just include the waypoints that are common to all runways in your plan. That way you can follow approaches assignment (so it matches AI if present) and then request and perform your IAP or elect to take vectors. Many US airports have STARS that take you to about 35 nm out and then state "Expect vectors to . . ." in their STAR description.