Sign in to follow this  
maverickr

Losing airspeed at altitude

Hi all,I've been experiencing something odd lately and am looking for some help.At first achieving cruise altitude(this could be anywhere from 150 up to 330, 340 feet, etc.) with autopilot on, speed somewhere around 270, 280 kts and just leveling out, the aircraft starts losing air speed until stall and then crash. Intentionally pushing the nose over does nothing. Neither does turning the auto pilot off and manualy flying.This happens with, but not limited to, Posky and MelJet. Both outstanding pieces of work, so don't get me wrong. This has happened with '67's, '57's, '77's, and '47's.Any help is appreciated.Mike

First question that comes to mind when I see this is whether you've changed your settings so that MSFS is reporting True vs. Indicated airspeed? If MSFS is reporting true vs. indicated, you may be flying too slow at altitude for the aircraft to maintain lift. 270kts true airspeed at FL 350 is pretty close to clean stall speed on some jets, as it is only about 160-170 kts indicated.... -John

Guest Ian_K

Hello John,an interesting idea. Do you definately know if the AP will lock on the speed that is displayed and will change TAS speed when this is changed?Ian

Guest Nathan Palmer

is your Pitot heat on as well. Just thinking of things that might cause this. Dont know the a/c your flying but one could loss airspeed on the gauge if its blocked.

Guest CargoMun

Also check if you might have left autothrottle off ;)

Guest mmorrell

Sounds like pitot heat is off or icing...

Guest smoothlander247

Your right. I have a Posky 767 and this happens to me too. Usually somewhere around FL 320 this always happens to me.Is there a patch out there or a aircraft.cgf tweak that will help this? Don't worrie its got nuttin to do wit your game is somting wrong with the aircraft.cgf file.This file contains the specs of the airplane and the way it is supposed 2 behave

there is a thought that individual posky model/repaints have a problem with spoilers deploying on the first flight after installation, even if this doesn't show on the panelyou may think they are up, but are they?I'd take a test light, do spoilers on (/) and off (/) do spoilers arm crl / and off crtl / then spoilers on (/) and off (/), exit FS and see what happens next time

ngxu_banner.png

Guest dkukla

I had a similar problem twice now in the last week with my 777 and trying to climb to FL330. Usually happens between FL250 and FL280 and get the annoying message from ATC to expedite my climb.I have AP on, AT on, Pitot heat on, flaps up, gear up, climb rate usually at 1200 FPM and last night had set at Mach 8.0. The aircraft started a severe reduction on airspeed, stall warning, and even in a "manual" mode was hard to get past the magic high FL200's. I even lowered the FPM to 800 and still would not climb.Just converted to FS9 and never remembered having this problem in 2002 with a 777. Going to try other aircraft in FS9 with same objectives and see what happens. I know 777's are "heavy" but this seems odd.

Very good idea. That's the reaction I get if I deployed the spoilers.

Thanks to all of you. It's always nice to know you aren't the only one with a problemMike