I wonder if there's anyone here running FSX on a I3 5xx. I've read it's a great overclocker and coupled with this mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...p;Tpk=H55M-ud2h hits 4.2GHz - 4.4GHz easily (maybe even more with HT disabled).that's dirt cheap combo and if it's true that FSX can run on 2 cores, I would expect it to perform very close to I7 860 or 920.that would be a great budget buildany I3 owner around?

Guest roburtvigr

Yes I use it with out overclock it. It run very nice and I never faced any problem with it. but i suggest you to but i5 because it is give more powerful performance and is any new Simulator come in a market that you are able to run it.

Guest chris493

An i3 is never going to run FSX as good as an i7.

Yes I use it with out overclock it. It run very nice and I never faced any problem with it. but i suggest you to but i5 because it is give more powerful performance and is any new Simulator come in a market that you are able to run it.
it doesn't look like we're having a new sim anytime soon, so I would say when that happens, get a computer that can run it (and if it's an optimized sim, it should run fine anyway)it's a shame you didn't overclock it man :) it's a great OCeranyway, at stock clocks it should perform close to my OCed x6 if I'm not wrong. can you please post some performance info?location, FSX settings, plane you fly, and the FPS you see?thanks
An i3 is never going to run FSX as good as an i7.
mind to elaborate Chris? because the I3 is the same core as the I7 (ok, smaller cache) but I would expect it to perform close enough for about half the priceever tested FSX on two cores? you don't even need to disable them, use affinitymask=3

Guest chris493

i7- tri channel memory, larger caches, 1366 socket, 4-6 cores, made for OCing, all high end intel CPUs using 1366 socket for ages to come. i3- dual channel memory, small caches, 1156 socket, 2 cores only, not made for OCing, made for budget PCs, not future proof for high end CPUs.

you know I think that tripple channel and more than two cores don't help that much, and you keep refusing to test that yourself. that's fine, but I have and others tooNo intel socket is future proof as they tend to release new architectures in new sockets with no backward compatibiliy, but if you have a 1366 I7 you have no room for improvement, while a I3 you could still upgrade to I5 7xx or even I7 8xx (provided that it's really worth it, which remains to be seen)And what you mean I3 are not made for OC? they hit 4.2GHz easy. Some users even report 4.6 on air, and they have very low TDP

i7- tri channel memory, larger caches, 1366 socket, 4-6 cores, made for OCing, all high end intel CPUs using 1366 socket for ages to come. i3- dual channel memory, small caches, 1156 socket, 2 cores only, not made for OCing, made for budget PCs, not future proof for high end CPUs.

Guest chris493

I'm not saying i3s can't be OCd, but i7s were MADE for OCing. That was intels soul purpose for the i7, to be OCd. As for you claiming that you can't see the benefits of tri-channel vs dual-channel in FSX, your running a dual channel amd. One: you don't have an intel CPU so you can't comment on what is better for FSX, two: you run dual channel ram, it's not like you can test the difference between dual and tri in fsx.

I can slow down my ram, and check if I really need the extra memory band width. my RAM is already fast enough, so it's natural to assume tripple channel is overkillI've seen posts of other FSX users with the same results.And if the I7 was made for OC, that's fine, cause the I3 is the same chip anyway, on 32nm with integrated grafics (who cares anyway) and HT

A couple of quick google searches:http://www.aselabs.com/articles.php?id=284...ef0f84c5f130afa"Conclusion:While we can take away that triple channel has some advantage in real world use, it is not always the case that we'll be able to see or notice the performance increase. It is logical that the RAMspeed tests would show a high margin of difference for the most part since it is a synthetic test. On the real world tests, the picture is a bit different. We see that at times the triple channel loses by a hair to the single channel setup. All things being equal, the performance difference is negligible."http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Memory/Int...emory-Mode.html"ConclusionAfter all these tests you need to ask yourself: What the heck is that triple channel mode useful for anyway, when it is obvious that is doesn

Guest chris493

So you are telling me that all the people on this forums who spend the money on i7 9xx with tri channel memory etc are all wasting their money?? I doubt that.

not if you do something that really needs that much RAM band width, which happens to be very rare and for what I know not the case for FSX.test it and prove me wrong, I'll be glad to STFU if that's the case.I'm obviously no pioneer here:http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18099548http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f10/analytic-cooler-best-buy-intel-micro-atx-core-i3-530-a-71634/, but check out those cinebench scores. virtualy the same compared to I7 in single threaded cinebenchnow if FSX runs comfortably on 2 cores.. whatever, I'm repeating myself

So you are telling me that all the people on this forums who spend the money on i7 9xx with tri channel memory etc are all wasting their money?? I doubt that.

Guest chris493

I noticed earlier that you said they were virtually the same chip with HT. Shouldn't hyperthreading be off for OCing? If HT is off, and your i7 930 or whatever is OCd, with no tweaks in FSX, just the latest SP, wouldn't it be better than the i3. I also read somewhere that more cores= smoother flying in FSX, that's why I bought my 980x. If the i3's 2 cores perform as a quad i7 9xx in FSX, surely I wasted my money!

both I3 and I7 feature HT. but seems that the lower TDP of the I3 makes it a better OCer. you'r 980x still ranks #1 in single core benchmarks but I wonder why you have it running @ just 3.8GHz as it's also 32nm technology and should do +4.2 no problem.I don't know if the 980x is a waste of money, but I just wasted 250€ in my new GTX460, if it makes you feel betterI'm done with beating this dead horse here. If anyone else wants to test the memory speed or multi core thing please let us all know how you do. Of course I3 user are welcome to share their FSX experience too

I noticed earlier that you said they were virtually the same chip with HT. Shouldn't hyperthreading be off for OCing? If HT is off, and your i7 930 or whatever is OCd, with no tweaks in FSX, just the latest SP, wouldn't it be better than the i3. I also read somewhere that more cores= smoother flying in FSX, that's why I bought my 980x. If the i3's 2 cores perform as a quad i7 9xx in FSX, surely I wasted my money!

Guest chris493

I run it at that because I don't want to push it too far and end up shortening the life span.

somewhere in my heart I wish mine burst into flames so I have an excuse to switch to Intel :D

I run it at that because I don't want to push it too far and end up shortening the life span.