Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Question for all you "real" GA pilots. (Geoff A, chime on in...)

I love the dynamic feature of FS9. It really adds a whole lot to the environment. I was flying VFR from Eugene OR to Crater Lake, and then into Redding CA. This brought me over the spine just to the East of Mount Shasta.Mid flight, I took a static snapshot using real weather and the reported conditions were Clear with 50 Mile vis.That conditions stayed for about 5 minutes, and then I could see, all along the ridgeline and ahead of me, clouds forming. Not clouds in the distance coming towards me, but clouds actually collesing 20 or so miles ahead of me. And with the clouds came the expectant turbulance.Now, is this a "weakness" in the sim, or have you "real" pilots actually seen clouds "form" from "nothing".I live in Alabama, and the weather here can really rock, so we see the clouds "boiling" all the time. But I wonder if any of you have actually seen a clouds simply "appear" before your eyes, and if so, is Flight Sim 2004 even closely representing that.It appears natural. The air starts to get a little denser looking and a little hazy, and then that haze becomes thicker and then starts to take shape...Any people who've actually witnessed this in real life, I would like to know. It was totally believable to me, but in my time in aircraft, I have been either too high, or too fast to actually see it occur before my Eyes.Comments any GA pilots out there?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I am heading out the door to fly now-but thought I'd quickly post these 4 shots-and I think fs does a great good job of this and what you describe above.This is from my trip to oshkosh 2 weeks ago-from kfnt to kgrb.The flight only was 1 1/2 hours but the weather changed hugely in route. Talk about dynamic changing weather! :-)Pic 1-shortly after takeoff-scattered undercast-high cloudsPic 2-halfway across Michigan huge thunderstorms forming all aroundPic 3-over lake Michigan-solid over cast below-no thunderstorms nowPic 4 -shortly after landing in kgrb-400 ft. ceiling, 2 miles fog.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg