Sign in to follow this  
Justin Toposim

Which Freeware US mesh?

Guest DanielBu

Hi all,I've noticed that there are actually two different sets of US meshes available, by Rob Gainer and by Raimundo Taburet. Can anyone comment on which is "better", or compare the two in any way? Also, is there a file list available, I find the numerous files quite confusing :-hmmm-Daniel

>Hi all,>>I've noticed that there are actually two different sets of US>meshes available, by Rob Gainer and by Raimundo Taburet. Can>anyone comment on which is "better", or compare the two in any>way? >Also, is there a file list available, I find the numerous>files quite confusing :-hmmm>Gainer's mesh had problems, and I don't think it's available anymore at Avsim, or even Flightsim.com............. but I could be wrong. I've heard of Raimundo's, but havn't tried it. I use FS Genesis, for the western United States & Hawaii. It's really worked well, & very easy to install. The FS Genesis West Coast mesh has just been released as freeware & might be at Avsim today.L.Adamson

That's fantastic! So is this the beginning of a raimundo vs. justin mesh quality showdown? Nothing but good stuff can come of this!CDs worth of free mesh terrain - I hope the new hardware is up to snuff AVSIM! ;)Any first reports of raimundos mesh quality?Thanks!sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest SoarPics

I too use FSGnenesis mesh and Landclass. I've been very happy with all the products and support from Justin. Simple and easy mesh to work with, and looks great.Raimondo has numerous free and shareware files available both here and at Flightsim, as well as at his own site FSfreeware. I've used only a few of his files but had no problems over the years. And like Justin's mesh his looks far better than the default mesh.Other authors whose work is very good is anything by Orlando Sotomayor, Holger Sandman, and Eddie Denney, to name just a few.Gainer's mesh is not a good first choice. Firstly, there is plenty of free mesh available of higher resolution. Also, though he has released a huge amount of mesh in a very short time, there have been many reports of problems with his products.A search of the Flightsim and Avsim libraries will yield many choices of top quality mesh. And then there's the FSFreeware library, and Simviation, and... well, we're lucky to have lots of options.Cheers,

Guest CargoMun

Just a few days ago the freeware FSGenesis of the West Coast of the US was put up on Flightsim.com.. According to them it will be uploaded to Avsim as well - wich is a blessing because I dont intent to download 400 Megs worth of mest with that kinda speed they give at flightsim.com lol :DAlso there was a new Alaska mesh uploaded i saw also in the 100's of mb size - it looked to be in a higher resolution then the one from Holger Sandman (LOD10 vs LOD9).Competition is good we all benefit from it :)Concerning the mesh from Rob Gainer - I've had no problems at all with it, and I think its awesome work he has put into this whole release. Big thanks to him I would like to say!

Guest SoarPics

Doh... I knew I would forget someone! Steve Greenwood is an accomplished mesh creator who clearly knows his stuff. Though I've never used his products, I've always heard good things about his efforts. Also at his site, http://www.fs-traveler.com/welcome.shtml , are a couple of files that catalog the LOD of the default mesh in both FS2002 and FS2004. I find these files very useful in choosing what add-on mesh I wish to add to what part of the world within the sim.I'm sure there are numerous other authors that should be mentioned in a thread like this. Hopefully, others will offer their suggestions.

I just found Steve's offering for Hawaii a day or two ago...LOVE IT!Thanks to all of you!Best,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest DanielBu

Thanks, but you're making it an even harder decision ;)Obviously, having all the meshes of one specific author would have the benefit of seamless integration into FS. I had already started dling Rob's meshes two weeks ago at University, where I have a FAST connection, but I kinda lost track over all the files, so a list would be helpful. There are so many files out there now, the single downloads and the packages.But now the other meshes have appeared...and the best thing would be a few large files instead of all the "tiny" ones.-Daniel

Guest DanielBu

Hi Justin,and when can I expect the East Coast and Central Part ;) j/kThanks for your efforts,-Daniel

Guest kurtj

Gainer's mesh had problems, and I don't think it's available anymore at Avsim, or even Flightsim.com............. but I could be wrong. Your're right about that and I think it is a shame. I have yet to download the Northern California and Utah, and Colorado. Perhaps it is just temporarily at avsim because of the hardware crash that they had yet to have upload more recent files. I do find his work very nice, but if Justins work is even better I might consider that from fsgenisis. I might have misspelled it and I am sorry. I didn't check flightsim.com for Rob Gainers scenery I don't believe, maybe it was there maybe not. I cant remember.

Guest SoarPics

Hi Kurt,The mesh currently being offered by authors like Justin, Steve, Holger, and Raimondo (to name just a few) would be a much better choice. Gainer's mesh is LOD9 (76M), while much of what is being offered by the many payware developers (whether you buy it or d/l for free) is LOD10 (38M) or better.FSGenesis offers a free file for Yosemite that is LOD12 (sadly, FS9 doesn't show LOD12 mesh... it defaults to LOD11 (19M)). Download it and you'll be pleasantly surprised by what that level of quality offers your sim experience.Also, the file I mentioned that Steve Greenwood offers at his site that catalogs the sim's default LOD levels of the entire world is very useful. It can save you d/l time and money.Cheers,

Guest DanielBu

I see. I gotta get a credit card in the future :-shy-Daniel