Sign in to follow this  
Hornit

Frame rate test request

Ok this is simple, i dont care about your settings too much, doesn't seem to matter much here. Please go to Albany NY (KALB) Line up on runway 36 about 5 or 6 miles out in the default 172 and fly a visual approach to landing. No AI, mesh doesnt matter, 1152 res 32bit and I have 2xfsaa on with -.4LOD in rivatuner. Default fs9.cfg and no tweaks installed. Weather, just scatterd cirrus and 30 miles vis. Keep a keen eye on the frame rate counter and let me know if you see any drops below your target that are significant. Mine go from 25 all the way down to about 11 on one or two occasions during the approach. It always goes right back up to 25 within a second but there is a noticeable(and very annoying jump)It even happens on rollout on the runway!! I am guessing its my system at this point, but it runs EVERYTHING else so smoothly that it just doesnt make sense.Thank YouHornitP4 2.8ghz@3.0 768mb DDR, GF4Ti4200 128mb, SB Live! Det 44.03

Just tried it (RWY01) windowed and full screen and saw no dips Hornet. FPS around 14 -16.XP1800 1GB PC2700 GF3 Ti200 64MB 30.82 driversHTH

I tried it.. firstly there is no runway 36 that I can find, so I did the test lined up with runway 01... no deviation from my fps lock of 25 all the way down.. 1280x960x32 w. 2xAA and 4xAF.Others have reported ground shadows to be a problem.. I have aircraft shadows on, ground shadows off.. P4-2.4, 512 Meg, ti4200 Det 30.82

Bert

Hi, Tried, no frame drop, no runway 36, tried all runways.Asus P4P800 8x, Intel P4 2.53 GHZ (NEVER overcloking), 512 ram, Windows XP pro, Gforce 4 Ti 4200 128 mb 8x 45.23 driver versionthese frame drop to 10 is not normal, with panel or not panel enabled, unlimited or not unlimited frame rate lock etc.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Well yeah its runway 01 sorry about that, Im pulling my hair out here, short of a reformat Im stumped. I have never had a problem like this with any other sim..EVER! :) I guess there is always a first time and I should probably start looking at my hardware, but it just doesn't make sense here. 2002 runs really smooth with everything turned on. I cant even begin to guess what it might be. Nothing seems to matter, all the tweaks etc just dont seem to make a difference. I can fly around for a whole session and see nice smooth rates, than start another one a bit later and see this crazy stutter. Its very hard to pin down exactly what it is . The really really frustrating part is I dont have this problem with ANY other sim or game. :( Not looking forward to reformating and reinstalling everything here either. It has been a while since I have done that so maybe its time.Hornit

Hornit...I wouldn't reformat. It's a suggestion thrown about quite often, but you'd be reformatting based on the observations of an audience where everybody sees and sets up the sim just a tad differently--you can ask people to duplicate your scenarios and they'll tell you they have, but it's simply human nature to forget a setting here and there. I'm convinced the problem isn't airports or even final approaches as I first thought. It's what we do around airports that I think causes the issues we see--namely, that the panel uses a considerable amount of system resources and cpu power, and it soaks up fps.You can move all sliders left, all sliders right, or somewhere in between. Still, you'll find the panel slowing things down (if you leave the lock set high enough so you can measure)--when the aircraft is turning or changing orientation. If you hold the aircraft perfectly still, fps tends to stabilize. But hide the panel by pressing "W" twice. Outstanding performance around the airports, I think. I'm talking equal to FS2002--no fps hiccups during turns. This is one of those issues where I don't think anyone in the community has the "answer"...yet. But I'm hoping someone at Microsoft will see my comments about panel performance, and maybe that will ring a bell. Sounds eerily like FS2000... I've managed to grow used to the poorer performance near airports. I've never enabled shadows to begin with, and rarely do I fly with Autogen. And I've changed my style of approach--I'm trying to do longer finals to give the fps a chance to stabilize during my descent.Largely because I've been tuning a flight model in the past few days, I've been in FS2002. You know, with light cirrus and clear skies, FS2002 doesn't look that bad, especially when you're getting ultra smooth performance on final. OTH, I won't fly an ultralight anywhere but FS2004. It looks real where looks count...-John

"....I just cut mine loose on unlimited. Averaged near 50 on takeoff roll with my usual extreme settings:..." Bigshot...Why don't you show us a screenshot of something like the Trimotor, cruising over downtown Phoenix, max settings. A 100 fps shot of sky doesn't show what "extreme settings" can do vs. your rig... Edit: I couldn't resist... Not bad for a P3/800.... Kinda boring, but not bad :)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/31664.jpg

Guest Bigshot

hehehe; now what fun would that be! That Ford is just to danged slow.

See my post about "My revelation". I just decided to try the sim in higher res with No AA tonight. Guess what? Its smooth as a baby's butt. I just have to accept that there will be a few jaggies. The Ti4200 just isnt capable of doing AA in this particular sim with everything it has to offer graphically. I think it also has something to do with it being a DX9 game and the 4200 just aint a DX9 card. Anyway I tried to post a shot of ...ahem...MY frame rates now, running in 1280x1024 and looked up at the Extra and i am getting 120-130 on the frame rate. When i push the screenshot button though it shows about 20 or 21 every time regardless of what the counter is saying :) I could put up the average frame rate counter but i dont care now....it dont matter! Its all good.Hornit