Sign in to follow this  

What about the ATI Flicker....?

These fourms have been invaluable to be....Thanks to the suggestions of many I now fun between 25 and 30 fps. I've made some sacrifices, (I haven't maxed out everything), but to me the sim looks so nice and smooth I really don't need everything maxed. But here's comes the big question...I have an 9700 Radeon Pro. The trees flicker, there are moving lines through the buildings and roads, the aircraft # on my planes even flicker... Now ATI says it's looking into it....http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4256.htmlThis seems to be the last big problem for me... Without these graphical disturbances, this sim would be perfect for me...Has anyone made any progess with this issue...I'm not so interested in the flickering menus... just the in-flight disturbances...thanks!

Guest Bigshot

You have a mipmap slider in the settings/display/hardware tab. Set that slider on 4. Run in 32 bit with the res as high as it'll go. 16x12x32 is my preferred res. If you have some tree twinkling left, I've found that Gerrish's connifer trees work the best with little or no twinkling in FS2k2. No reason to think they should be any different in FS2k4. Give em' a try. They're in the library here. Search for connifer. Back up your originals first.

Is this a commonly accepted problem... I never had fs 2002. Did this flicker effect happen in that game? Did drivers fix this? do you think future ATI drivers will fix the current flicker problem?

Hi Claude,The mere fact that there are so many "video" related issues with FS9 and ATI cards, I feel that the only way FS9 will be fixed for us ATI users is with a new driver set being released. I've tweaked...and tweaked..and tweaked and still can't get rid of some of those "graphical disturbances".If there was a fix, trust me, we'd already know about it and the fact that ATI has acknoledged it and said they're "working" on it means that it's deeper than just adjusting a few sliders on the control panel.For now I guess we have to live with these "graphical disturbances" for just a little bit longer :-)Hope this helps!!Mikehttp://www.members.shaw.ca/madamo/boeingsig.jpg

You can solve the flickering trees problem by setting the Mipmap slider to 4 instead of 8. Don't know what "lines" you're talking about are, but chances are they are also a result of the Mipmap slider being set too high.To solve the other problems (garbled text etc.) you can try three things:-Use Catalyst 3.2 (supposedly they don't have the problem)-Run FS in Windowed mode-Turn down Hardware Acceleration under Troubleshooting one notch (this will cause the mouse cursor to flicker instead.....)The next version of Catalyst will fix these issues with FS2004.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

The note ATI posted about flicker isn't talking about this flicker of tree etc (which I'd term "shimmer" actually) but rather the way the screen flickers when you access a menu in full screen mode. I did not see anything like this shimmer you're describing while running 2004 on a Radeon 9700 Pro last week...Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

The shimmer is not ATI's problem. The problem is the Mipmap slider in FS2004. This feature was not there in FS2002 and people just assume it's supposed to be maxed. In reality a setting of about 4 provides the best visuals.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest ozhero

Hi,I have an ATI 9800 Pro 256Mb Card running on the latest 2.8Mhz CPU and Asus motherboard.I have tried every tweak imaginable (including everything mentioned on all the forums) and still have an annoying level of "shimmer" in the FS2004 scenery. (and yes my mipmap slider is set at 4)I read a debate in one of the forums awhile back in regards to how the ATI card handles Antialiasing and Antistropic filtering and I wonder if there is an inherent problem with the ATI card and FS2004 scenery that won't be fixed in a driver release.To some people the level of "shimmer" may be acceptable but it is downright distracting and ruins the immersion factor from what is supposed to be a VERY top end card.Can anyone shed some further light on this.Thanks.

I tried reducing the mipmap slider from 6 to 4 and the shimmering almost dissappeared. The problem was that the terrain then becomes too mushy and roads turn into blurry dotted lines in a relatively short distance. It seems that the relationship between terrain mipmapping and autogen mipmapping is wrong. If there were a seperate slider for each, I would probably have the terrain at about 6 and the autogen at about 3. If anyone knows any way of achieving something approximating to this I would like to hear it.